Philips 55pus57334/12 picture dark - But not USB

Spongefinger

Novice Member
Hi I have the TV mentioned in the title. Recently the picture has become very dark, to a point where during the day some programs are unwatchable. I have looked online and tried things I've found ( turning off auto dimming , turning all eco modes off , turning brightness and gamma up to full ) none of this has made any difference.

Update - I've tried playing media from a USB stick and the media is fine and comes out nice and bright so not a backlight issue as I thought, but all other media ie cable or any app driven media plays very dim . Any advice or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited:

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Cable in the sense of an external box?

Many brands call the overall brightness setting Backlight. The brightness setting is more for adjusting the contrast.

Is the USB stick plugged directly into the TV? Are the menus to navigate the files on the USB stick bright or dim?

Spongefinger

Novice Member
Hi ,

The usb plugs straight into the TV. The menus are fine.

Yes the cable is an external box ( virgin media)

The problem seems strange. For example the Netflix main menu is fine and they have picture stills of the program you select and these are nice and bright it seems to be when you actually start watching the shows the picture dims. Particularly on Netflix my wife says a few times for a split second at the beginning the programs are bright then dim.
When we first got the TV about three years ago we had to adjust the brightness down in the evening as it hurt the eyes but now all possible brightness settings pushed to max.
Tomorrow I'm going to plug a laptop in and use as monitor to see what results I get.

vickster

Distinguished Member
Is it HDR material on Netflix that is dark? Or all channels and media?
If only HDR perhaps the TV just can’t display it brightly enough?

markfawcett

As Vickster says, it sounds like the TV is dark when playing HDR, which is unfortunately normal with low/mid range TVs.

You can compensate to some extent by setting Contrast to ‘100’ and HDR Plus to ‘Maximum’ or ‘Automatic’ when a HDR source is playing, but it’ll never be proper HDR, per se.

Also make sure your Gamma is set to ‘0’

markfawcett

Thanks I'll try that. Is there a way to turn HDR off ? Netflix is dark regardless of what is playing.
No way to disable HDR via the inbuilt apps, unfortunately.

The only workaround with Netflix is to downgrade your subscription to HD instead of 4K. The TV will then display content in 1080p SDR, which it does very well.

Many people, myself included, use this ‘fix’.

vickster

Distinguished Member
Thanks I'll try that. Is there a way to turn HDR off ? Netflix is dark regardless of what is playing.
There might be on the Virgin box? Ask in the Virgin forum

Spongefinger

Novice Member
There might be on the Virgin box? Ask in the Virgin forum

I've been mucking about this morning. Definite improvement on cable TV.
Hi I have the TV mentioned in the title. Recently the picture has become very dark, to a point where during the day some programs are unwatchable. I have looked online and tried things I've found ( turning off auto dimming , turning all eco modes off , turning brightness and gamma up to full ) none of this has made any difference.

Update - I've tried playing media from a USB stick and the media is fine and comes out nice and bright so not a backlight issue as I thought, but all other media ie cable or any app driven media plays very dim . Any advice or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I have attached images from , TV menu, Xbox 360, switch , netflix menu and images from show Brooklyn 911 and parks and recreation to show difference in brightness.

Attachments

• 20210808_113817.jpg
    20210808_113817.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 20210808_114051.jpg
    20210808_114051.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 20210808_114910.jpg
    20210808_114910.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 20210808_115007.jpg
    20210808_115007.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 20210808_113307.jpg
    20210808_113307.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 20210808_113243.jpg
    20210808_113243.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 20210808_133138.jpg
    20210808_133138.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 16

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom