Philips 55POS901 UHD 4K OLED TV Review & Comments

Discussion in 'Philips TVs Forum' started by Steve Withers, Feb 1, 2017.

Tags:

1. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,878
    2. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,005
      Phillips are like the Tottenham Hotspurs of TVs , good but never quite good enough!

• Funny Funny x 5
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
      • List
    3. simonlewis

simonlewis

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,464
      I see phillips have kept the ambilights to keep the fanboys happy.

4. Jason56d

Jason56d

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +969
      Thanks for the long awaited review.

Most people would have presumed that it would handle motion as well as if not better than the LG's, so this comes as no surprise. Everything else to me seems on par with all that is good in the current batch of OLED's.

Input lag is quite high though and this will put some people off. Have you contacted them to see if it can be reduced with an update like LG did?

Personally I have no need for a soundbar attached to my TV as have a decent sound system and that's why I have been looking forward to the Sony A1.

Lastly, I think the price is too high to compete. Even if the 2017 LG 7 series are higher than current 6 series prices, I think that Philips will struggle to sell a lot of them. As LG have dropped 3D for 2017, the E6 is very attractive to those who want it and as you said, £300 is a lot of saving on an equally good set.

Now, get on with Sony review and the 7 series please! :D

5. geogan

geogan

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +588
      OMG ambilights + W.T.F price = POS TV ;)

6. Roohster

Roohster
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,904
      I've never understood the ambilight thing, isn't it a massive distraction?
      God to see another company getting behind Oled though.

7. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,878
      I've passed my findings back to Philips/TP Vision, so the ball is in their court now.

8. Desk

Desk

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +919
      A great review, but I'm intrigued as to how it compares to the LG OLEDs - which at present are obviously the main alternative.

The review does say, 'the Philips does have the edge in terms of overall image accuracy compared to the E6'. However, I wonder how it compares in terms of motion?

Quoting from the review, it says, 'the motion handling, often a strong point of Philips TVs, is excellent on the 901 and as a result any fast moving sport, but particularly football, really benefits. The same is true of movies..."

But could the same be equally said of the LG OLEDs, or are we to take from this that the Philips actually outperforms the likes of the E6 in specific terms of motion performance?

It's an area where many people feel the LGs have been slightly lacking, so I'd be very interested to learn if another company's product is demonstrating that improvements are possible in terms of motion handling with LG Display's OLED panels.

Desk

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • List
      Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
    9. kinggo

kinggo

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +131
      No. That's the only reason for me to consider philips TV.

10. geogan

geogan

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +588
      A projector/screen likes to throw 'ambilight' around the room while watching in batcave environment - we do everything we can to stop this.

11. Viperl0

Viperl0
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4
      Phillips are dreaming. Anyone who pays this price for a 2016 panel, is either misinformed or a fanboy.

12. kinggo

kinggo

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +131
      not exactly the same. I would do the same in that case. I have to spend more time with OLEDs but when it comes to LED LCD, backlight really bugs my eyes. CCFLs was much better for me. CRT also.

13. Mensy

Mensy
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,730
      You say

There was absolutely no sign of any vignetting, which has affected OLED panels in the past and the same goes for discolouration and visible banding on things like football pitches. It would seem that Philips are choosing their panels carefully and the results are impressive.

I disagree with that last section, Philips only have a 55 inch version. The 55 inch OLED panels have much better uniformity with no banding and vignetting, which cant be said about the 65 inchers. So i doubt they where choosing the panels carefully

Also i cant even imagine them selling one at that price tag.Not when you can get a 65 B6 for that

14. Jackass

Jackass

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +810
      I'd say they are like Arsenal,
      getting beat by lesser teams like Watford I mean LG and these days all flashy lights but full of cheap foreign parts :laugh:

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • List
    15. davidcrofter

davidcrofter

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +903
      Great TV - bad release schedule. That pretty much sums up Philips and when you couple that with rare as hen's teeth to buy one in the UK it isn't exactly a recipe for success moving forward.

16. Desk

Desk

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +919
      It doesn't really smack of being a serious bid for success, does it? All a bit half-hearted, which is a shame. I wonder if it's more a case of planting a flag in technology terms - rather than realistically looking for many sales at this point?

I am still interested to hear from @Steve Withers or the avforums team as to whether we can also take the praise for the motion performance to mean it's superior to that of the LG E6, along with that later reference to superior picture accuracy.

I'm in no way looking to knock LG's sets, which are obviously more competitively priced, but given that this Philips TV may be rather difficult to come across in the wild it would be interesting to know.

Desk

17. MikeTVMikeTV

MikeTVMikeTV

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +651
      Thats a horrific price, £1000 more than a 55B6, £300 more than a 55E6 and the same orice as a 65B6.

No Dolby Vision or HLG either, i cant imagine anyone buying one of these.

Fully loaded 2017 LG OLED will be a very similar price for 55".

18. High Fidelity

High Fidelity

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +261
      Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
    19. Spinstorm

Spinstorm

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +23
      I have this TV, paid £3k from Ebay from Germany. So around £200 more than the UK price although it isn't actually showing on John Lewis yet.

As a package this TV is better than anything LG or Panasonic have put out.

I can't argue about the fact that soon there will be 2017 OLED panels that will look every better but then in my opinion all the OLEDS have been boring because they have been stuck with smart software that isn't backed by anyone but themselves and the lack of ambilight. While Android does have its bugs its the best backed software with thousands of apps and the ability to have the latest Google advancements (of course assuming Philips update the android version; incidentally I am not sure Steve is right about the version of Android as Philips have just put out quite a few updates moving the platforms to Android 6).

Ambilight is one of those things that if you have a TV with it and use it that all other TVs are just boring and lack something special - no matter the actual quality of the panel.

When you take the amazing image of OLED and add in casting and apps from Android and ambilight it's an OLED that has so many features that it actually justifies its price. And remmeber only we on here know its a 2016 panel - someone in JLP will not care a bit.

• Thanks Thanks x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
      • List
    20. davidcrofter

davidcrofter

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +903
      I was interested in their new FALD 65PUS7601 which was "released" in late October - for the cash it looked brilliant and was reviewed by just about every professional reviewer in the UK. To this day they don't seem to have managed to get it in the retail chain anywhere in the UK so I wouldn't hold much hope for this one if anybody fancied paying over the odds for the ambilight feature.

I think Philips were saying they plan to be the biggest brand in Europe but they still can't get the basics right it seems ... despite a change of ownership.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    21. Spinstorm

Spinstorm

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +23
      You are right about the 7601; Argos has shown it as on sale since November but it has NEVER been in stock... explain that to me!

22. Flecky81

Flecky81

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +610
      Has anyone got a link to John Lewis page where you can apparently buy it from then? Thanks.

23. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,878
      The panel is obviously supplied by LG Display and both Philips and LG use 'sample and hold', so the differences won't be night and day but I did find that the motion handling on the 901 appeared slightly more refined, in the same way that the colour accuracy of the Philips was generally a bit better. Having said that I wasn't in a position to do a side-by-side comparison, so how much difference Philips's own processing makes is hard to judge in an absolute sense.

24. JimboH

JimboH

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +246
      There is one on Amazon just now....if you don't mind it shipping from Latvia :)

25. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,878
      I was told by Philips that it would be available online from John Lewis this week and in stores next week but as others have already mentioned, the 901 isn't currently listed.

26. storm

storm

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +95
      Given that the only company on the planet mass producing OLED panels is LG, you can bet this is just another LG panel rebage... Likely also using LG driver circuitry too, just like Sony and Panasonic do.....

27. Desk

Desk

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +919
      That's very interesting to learn, Steve, and good of you to come back with - thank you.

These TVs are obviously costly, and it's a question of how much you want to spend. I know that the likes of the LGs fit the bill in so many ways, but when already making this scale of investment I'd be tempted to pay even more in order to ensure getting the very best possible out of this technology as it exists right now.

The Philips does look to be a great set, but the prospect of the likes of a new Sony or Panasonic OLED based around 2017 panels from LG Display has piqued my interest.

Desk

28. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,878
      I agree, with the LG, Sony and Panasonic 2017 OLEDs all waiting in the wings the Philips will, as David mentioned in a previous post, suffer due to its unfortunate delay in reaching stores.

29. storm

storm

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +95
      I picked up my 55in LG B6 for £1500, other sets won't be in that ballpark for some time. 2017 models will be commanding premium prices for some time to come without offering £1000 worth of new stuff.... 2017 models offering nothing compelling really.

30. babator

babator

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +275
      Steve, I know you are not a fan of motion interpolation for movies, but did you happen to try it anyway for TV programs? Unfortunately for me, I prefer maximally clear motion for sports and my (2015) LG OLED occasionally falls over with TruMotion enabled.

Especially 50 Hz 1080i content seems to have issues on the LG if the motion interpolation is turned on - "microstutters" on talking heads' lips, odd, quick motion hitches right after the camera angle changes on things like football, and slow motion replays stuttering badly are the things I have noticed every now and then. Oddly, the LG seems to fare better via its own internal tuner than if it is fed 1080i or upscaled 1080p50 content via HDMI...