Philips 55POS9002 TV Owners and Discussion Thread

There are now several HDR enabled programmes on Sky along with dozens of films which came available a few days ago.
Best way to test yourself to be sure is to read the TVs EDID info using a computer connected via HDMI. If it supports HLG it will show in the EDID.

MadVR software renderer on windows should also show it if supported.

Hello,
Does anyone has this kind of issue ? A big green area :
201230115602174232.jpg

We are several members of a french board with the same issue juste after 2 years of ownership.

In France/Europe Legal guarantee of conformity is about 2 years and this issue happens just after 2 years ! 🤬

French Philips Customer Service proposes to replace only the screen by private technical service. The cost is almost the same price of th TV. About 1200€ for fixing without any discount offers by TPVision/Philipps.

Do you have the same experience ?
Thanks

I have updated to the latest firmware and the issue that kept annoying me since day one is still present: in HDR scenes the tv lowers brightness and becomes too dark. Then as soon as the scene changes to something brighter it reverts back to "normal".

Is there a known workaround? Is there anything in the service menu related to this? It is driving me crazy :(

I have the exact same issue. I believe I have described it earlier in this thread.

It's as if when there little motion in a scene, the TV thinks the content is paused and lowers the overall brightness. For several months I watch with the light sensor ON. I know it may sound counter intuitive but seems to help - now I get this darkening less often. Or maybe I'm imagining.. I don't know.

I use ISF Dark for SDR movies, shows and games, HDR Movie/HDR Natural for HDR movies and shows, and HDR Game for HDR games. Settings are the same or similar to what was recommended here and on other review sites.

Hey guys,

Ive have had my Philips 9002 since June 2018 and it’s been great for the most part.

Started showing some lines on the screen towards the bottom so looking to get it fixed.

Does anyone know what the guarantee with a Philips tv is??? 2 years??

If so I’m 8 months outside my warranty!!!

has anyone had any good outcome with Philips in regards to repair?

Paid £1469 for a tv and it’s faulty within three years?????

Surely that’s not right!??

bought the tv from AO in the uk

Any advice what to do next would be greatly appreciated.

Hey guys,

Ive have had my Philips 9002 since June 2018 and it’s been great for the most part.

Started showing some lines on the screen towards the bottom so looking to get it fixed.

Does anyone know what the guarantee with a Philips tv is??? 2 years??

If so I’m 8 months outside my warranty!!!

has anyone had any good outcome with Philips in regards to repair?

Paid £1469 for a tv and it’s faulty within three years?????

Surely that’s not right!??

bought the tv from AO in the uk

Any advice what to do next would be greatly appreciated.
Normally 2 years. You could contact AO and tell them how much you paid for it and you would expect it to last longer than it has.They may offer a gesture of good will and cover repair cost,but they are not obligated to do so.
Either,see if cost of repair is viable or buy new,but purchase with a 5 year warranty from a retailer with good customer support.More so if you pay more than £1000 for it.

Normally 2 years. You could contact AO and tell them how much you paid for it and you would expect it to last longer than it has.They may offer a gesture of good will and cover repair cost,but they are not obligated to do so.
Either,see if cost of repair is viable or buy new,but purchase with a 5 year warranty from a retailer with good customer support.More so if you pay more than £1000 for it.
Cheers supermal

it’s incredible, in my opinion that something can become faulty within 3 years and is written off by insurers. I’ve been offered one OLED TV and that is the bottom of the rung LG OLED as a replace the by D and G.

If I wanted a LG tv when I bought the Philips, I would have got one. But i
Likes the reviews of the Philips 9002, likes the ambilight idea, to fit in with the hundreds of pounds I’ve spent on hue, so all in I’m a bit angry with it all.

I understand technology moves on, but you don’t expect a fault to appear through no malicious damage, no burn in and then that’s that??

tv broken, get a replacement, have a hisense 65” LED or a Samsung QLED or pay £800 extra
For a Sony!!!!

Cheers supermal

it’s incredible, in my opinion that something can become faulty within 3 years and is written off by insurers. I’ve been offered one OLED TV and that is the bottom of the rung LG OLED as a replace the by D and G.

If I wanted a LG tv when I bought the Philips, I would have got one. But i
Likes the reviews of the Philips 9002, likes the ambilight idea, to fit in with the hundreds of pounds I’ve spent on hue, so all in I’m a bit angry with it all.

I understand technology moves on, but you don’t expect a fault to appear through no malicious damage, no burn in and then that’s that??

tv broken, get a replacement, have a hisense 65” LED or a Samsung QLED or pay £800 extra
For a Sony!!!!
Sadly goods are not made to last these days.Its a replace culture nowadays.Quality is lost to mass production and your new TV is being replaced by a newer model as you carry it out the store.This is the way.I have a Sony tv approaching 20 years old and still being used.Had zero problems with it.Got a sony 5.1 home cinema even older,still working.Solid build and made to last.New kit is lightweight and flimsy and your lucky if it lasts over a year.
I made a diy ambilight for 55" lg tv.Better colours than hue.Philips will lose out when other makes start their own ambilight sets.

I know there is a lot of discussion with Amazon Prime quality and HDR.
But my problem is with the quality. Tried to watch a movie and the quality was so low that e simply quit. Now I'm watching a Serie and a overall quality is very bad, I thought it was my connection or amazon it self. But I've tested in a Samsung TV and the quality is much better, even with worst wi-fi than the one I have in my Phillips.
Its something I can do?

But my problem is with the quality. Tried to watch a movie and the quality was so low that e simply quit. Now I'm watching a Serie and a overall quality is very bad, I thought it was my connection or amazon it self. But I've tested in a Samsung TV and the quality is much better, even with worst wi-fi than the one I have in my Phillips.
Its something I can do?
Using internal app. or external device??

Its something I can do?
Have you got your TV connected with Ethernet to confirm it is not poor wifi?
If it is in the same house/location the WiFi on the Samsung might just be better than the Phillips.

My internet is not the fastest (5 to 10MBs) so while I notice the quality of the stream from Amazon is not the best, I've put that down to my ISP.

You could always get the newest (2020) Chrome cast "puck", the smart dongle that seems to do most if not all streaming service.
Although that should be almost identical to the Phillips as they are both Android TV if you were gonna get a dongle that is the one to go for IMO.

Have you got your TV connected with Ethernet to confirm it is not poor wifi?
If it is in the same house/location the WiFi on the Samsung might just be better than the Phillips.

My internet is not the fastest (5 to 10MBs) so while I notice the quality of the stream from Amazon is not the best, I've put that down to my ISP.

You could always get the newest (2020) Chrome cast "puck", the smart dongle that seems to do most if not all streaming service.
Although that should be almost identical to the Phillips as they are both Android TV if you were gonna get a dongle that is the one to go for IMO.
Best device would be an amazon one,for Amazon Prime at least.There device there app.4k firestick best value/cost.

Yes as i meant a general purpose one to replace the TV's, but if amazon if the only one that has poor quality, that makes absolute sense to supplement the smart TV's other offerings.

It can be a mixed bag though, I found Disney plus on a normal and 4k fire sticks were awful and blacks were washed out, but fine on everything else I've tried.

Yes as i meant a general purpose one to replace the TV's, but if amazon if the only one that has poor quality, that makes absolute sense to supplement the smart TV's other offerings.

It can be a mixed bag though, I found Disney plus on a normal and 4k fire sticks were awful and blacks were washed out, but fine on everything else I've tried.
Hard to identify the real problem.Could be tv settings?If some prime movies/shows are ok and others not,it is streaming quality variations. Also whether it is 4k,1080p.My tv is 43pus7304 and quality is fine using hdr with 4k firestick.I always use wired ethernet connection for steady streaming.

That’s shameful from Philips! I’ll get in touch with ao and go down the misselling route I think
So, finally a resolution from Philips regarding the lack of HLG over HDMI to watch HDR on Sky programmes. They have replaced my 9002 with a OLED805 free of charge. Great service by Philips to be fair in the end. Currys did not want to help at all.

They did confirm that this TV will not output HLG over HDMI. If you have Sky Q and wondering why its not working with this TV, that's the reason.

So, finally a resolution from Philips regarding the lack of HLG over HDMI to watch HDR on Sky programmes. They have replaced my 9002 with a OLED805 free of charge. Great service by Philips to be fair in the end. Currys did not want to help at all.

They did confirm that this TV will not output HLG over HDMI. If you have Sky Q and wondering why its not working with this TV, that's the reason.
Wow, I had no idea this was the case.

I have had the tv for 2 and a half years and it is getting repaired tomorrow.

the screen has developed some black lines on the bottom third of the tv.

originally fobbed off by Philips as it’s out with the warranty, I was advised to contact their preferred service engineers who sent back a bill to the tune of £1340.

matter a bit of back and forth, they are fixing it tomorrow as a good will gesture.

was thinking of upgrading our kitchen tv to a Philips but not sure now.

How are you finding the 805??

Ive got sky q and had not noticed a blind but of difference since they announced the HDR content.

mid the software exactly the same as the 9002 cause I can’t get Disney natively on the tv.

I'm using the internal App. Nothing more.

My Phillips OLED is connected via Ethernet with a 400Mbps Connection.
It's not the internet on the TV. I watch Netflix, Hbo, Disney, all in 4K with 0 problems.

Only Amazon has problems with the overall image quality.
Some times it gets so bad that its not even 360p for sure. And Huge macro blocks.

My Samsung is via Wifi, 40 meters from the router with less than 100Mbps. And the quality is always perfect.

Wow, I had no idea this was the case.

I have had the tv for 2 and a half years and it is getting repaired tomorrow.

the screen has developed some black lines on the bottom third of the tv.

originally fobbed off by Philips as it’s out with the warranty, I was advised to contact their preferred service engineers who sent back a bill to the tune of £1340.

matter a bit of back and forth, they are fixing it tomorrow as a good will gesture.

was thinking of upgrading our kitchen tv to a Philips but not sure now.

How are you finding the 805??

Ive got sky q and had not noticed a blind but of difference since they announced the HDR content.

mid the software exactly the same as the 9002 cause I can’t get Disney natively on the tv.
Hello! I think I was speaking to you on the Facebook OLED site about your issue a couple of weeks ago? Pleased to hear that they are sorting it for you in the end. 😀

Yeah, the 805 is great. Picture quality is brilliant with the HDR enabled films on Sky and Dolby Vision content on Netflix looks really impressive too.

Can anyone help with this problem?

The Philips 55POS9002 (which I've had for a couple of years) used to switch HDMI inputs automatically as external devices were powered on but suddenly seems to have stopped doing this and I'm having to change the input manually. I've looked in the settings and can't see any options to change this.

Any ideas? 🤔

There are the "easy" settings in some of the sub menu's like "easy remote" which is essentially hdmi CEC functionality.

Make sure your source equipment hasn't disabled hdmi CEC (they might call it something else too, like panasonic Vera link ...), as the TV might be ok, but the other component(s) have the functionality switched off.

The whole CEC thing is a mixed blessing to be honest.

Had my TV 2 years and it's been great till now iv noticed that reds have developed a blue tint tried to sort it with my settings but still the same,also noticed a couple of bands developing near the bottom of the screen.Any ideas anyone before I get in touch with John Lewis where I purchased it.

Hello,
Does anyone has this kind of issue ? A big green area :
201230115602174232.jpg

We are several members of a french board with the same issue juste after 2 years of ownership.

In France/Europe Legal guarantee of conformity is about 2 years and this issue happens just after 2 years ! 🤬

French Philips Customer Service proposes to replace only the screen by private technical service. The cost is almost the same price of th TV. About 1200€ for fixing without any discount offers by TPVision/Philipps.

Do you have the same experience ?
Thanks
I do have the same experience. My TV has been purchased in 2018 and as you have mentioned I had the same problem just after the warranty duration. This is obviously a design flaw and from what I read, related with overheating issues.

Philips is using LG Panels in this model as in 55" OLED55C7V. So the same problem persists for these LG models as well. Have a look at : HELP- green spot in middle of LG OLED

Please also note that the production of Philips OLED TV's are over, this is also another clue that both LG and Philips are aware of this problem. I don't wanna give the same price of TV in order to fix it, they shall not lie on their ear not to hear all these complaints.

What is your resolution? Any good news ?

Thanks.

Attachments

• 5eabace8-8323-4cf0-88d8-b7cae2532d4f.jpg
    5eabace8-8323-4cf0-88d8-b7cae2532d4f.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 118
I do have the same experience. My TV has been purchased in 2018 and as you have mentioned I had the same problem just after the warranty duration. This is obviously a design flaw and from what I read, related with overheating issues.

Philips is using LG Panels in this model as in 55" OLED55C7V. So the same problem persists for these LG models as well. Have a look at : HELP- green spot in middle of LG OLED

Please also note that the production of Philips OLED TV's are over, this is also another clue that both LG and Philips are aware of this problem. I don't wanna give the same price of TV in order to fix it, they shall not lie on their ear not to hear all these complaints.

What is your resolution? Any good news ?

Thanks.

Really sad to see this with yours and @Tibox and the blue tint that @jazzthedog suffers from …
… I’ve had my 9002 since Nov 2017, but with a 5 year warranty from John Lewis so I’d be OK.

Measuring the back of the TV, after it’s been on an hour in a 21c room, and an area around the size of your green blob, but more to the left looking from the front, it’s 41c both at the back of the TV and the actual screen at the front. So it certainly seems to suffer a hot patch, probably from the power supply and cpu set?

So far it’s fine and gets used a lot…
… as I want HLG on HDMI inputs, which the 9002 can‘t do, I‘m looking at the new 2021 856 or 806 which also has the latest P5. Guess I need to take out a 5 year warranty on that too…

I presume you and @jazzthedog have tried runing the ‘Clear residue image’ option in Settings?

Last edited:
Here is my screen, John Lewis sent out an engineer but said that screen burn is not covered in there 5 year guarantee I argued that it should not have screen burn as there is a system in place to prevent this happening they just fobbed me off .I have looked after this TV and done things by the book and still ended up with this.

Attachments

• IMG_20210520_153616.jpg
    IMG_20210520_153616.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_20210520_153311.jpg
    IMG_20210520_153311.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 127

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom