Philips 55POS9002 TV Owners and Discussion Thread

Once again my TV is saying that there are no updates, to get the previous update Philips/TP Vision sent me a link to the Philips Ireland site to download it. Any ideas where I can get the new one, the EPG is woeful on my TV?
You can get it from here...

I wonder if our TVs will get freeview play. As it appears that new Philips, Sharp and TCL Android TVs are shipping with Freeview play.
Blunt answer is No, I'm afraid. I bought a 55PUS9104 in December 2019 from John Lewis. It was advertised and sold as a 2019 model. When the promised 'Freeview Play to all 2019 models' didn't materialise, I contacted Philips. Lengthy correspondence finally had Philips telling me that the 9104 would never get the update as it was built using both 2018 hardware and software (Android Version 8-Oreo). All other 2019 TV's were built using Android Version 9-Pie and that is compatible with the new Freeview Play software.
As the 9002 uses Version 8 -Oreo, its very unlikely that it will get the update. Android 8-Oreo just isn't able to be updated.
I was furious and after more correspondence, Philips (as a 'gesture of goodwill'), offered to exchange the TV for one that would have Freeview Play. As my 9104 was the top of the LCD range in 2019 (ironic really?), they offered a 55OLED934. Quite a result really, but I don't want an OLED TV.
The swap has just been made, so I have an unopened 55OLED934 sitting in my lounge!
I will probably sell it as I know I would be paranoid about the slightest chance of screenburn.
All of this has been detailed in my thread - Philips 55PUS9104 Freeview Play Update
Tim

Hello there!

Tonight i´m going to see a Philips TV 55POS9002 bought on Sept 2018. Price is 650€ but is negotiable.

Do you think is still worth it in 2020?
Also, any particular thing to look apart from possible Burn in situation?

thanks

Hello there!

Tonight i´m going to see a Philips TV 55POS9002 bought on Sept 2018. Price is 650€ but is negotiable.

Do you think is still worth it in 2020?
Also, any particular thing to look apart from possible Burn in situation?

thanks
Arguably, it is worth more now than Sept 2018 as the firmware updates have ironed out the many bugs it originally had. It sounds like a fair price if their are no screen issues and everything works.

Arguably, it is worth more now than Sept 2018 as the firmware updates have ironed out the many bugs it originally had. It sounds like a fair price if their are no screen issues and everything works.

thank you very much!

I Finally got it a 500€ so i´m a new Philips 55POS9002 Happy Owner :):clap:

I already have:
  • Executed one Residual Images Program
  • Updated the Firmware and configured Android TV
  • Callibrated Colours for each mode (HDR, HDR Game, SDR; Day, Night)
  • Installed a pendrive to gain storage on Android TV
Any other recommendations on What to do? tweak / configure?

Unfortunately, i have an Optical Cable Soundbar (works well but is not the optimal or as good as HDMI connection)

I was about to buy a Nvidia Shield but so far, Android TV on the TV is working good

thanks in advanced for all the tips and help!

Downloaded a new firmware update today but can't see what it does?
Any info?
IMG_20200710_220613.jpg

Hi guys, have any of you tried an USB3 to Gigabit Ethernet adapter on the TV?

I was wondering if it is supported by Android kernel as I need a strong connection to play Remux movies over the network and the 100mbps port on the TV obviously doesn't cut it.

Thanks!

Folks, my 55POS9002/5 keeps entering screen saver mode, every 10 minutes or so, even when the image is not static. Has anyone else had/having this issue? I have the latest OTA software loaded.

Thanks.
I have 55pos9002/12 updated to latest software version .132, digital cable TV and nothing connected to HDMI. I've installed google Daydream Backdrop, that is google chromecast built-in screensaver, and Dreamy screensaver from play store. The 1st app is not listed in the TV app list, it is installed as a system app. When you install the 2nd app it will ask to follow 3 steps. It opens the android tv screensaver menu where it recommends to select Dreamy as screensaver app. There are several options, other useful one is Backdrop (chromecast built-in).
1.If you choose Dreamy: the TV goes to default Philips logo screensaver after 2 min. After 3 more minutes Dreamy screensaver will replace philips logo and beautiful images are displayed. If you run on TV a music app (like TuneIn) it will stops when chromecast screensaver starts.
Dreamy app can be started also from app list, if you want to run it at any time.
2.If you choose Backdrop during the installation of Dreamy: the TV goes to default Philips logo screensaver after 2 min. After 3 more minutes google chromecast screensaver will replace philips logo and beautiful images are displayed. Dreamy app can be started also from app list, if you want to run it at any time. If you run on TV a music app (like TuneIn) it will stops when chromecast screensaver starts.

If you wanna play music and have screensaver running then you need to cast music from PC (mandatory need to use Chrome browser) or from phone (chrome browser or apps that support Casting)

Is it possible to configure a shortcut on the remote (for instance the TV button) to directly switch to a specific HDMI port (HDMI1 connected to my receiver) so I don't need to press "sources" and select the HDMI port from the list?

Is it possible to configure a shortcut on the remote (for instance the TV button) to directly switch to a specific HDMI port (HDMI1 connected to my receiver) so I don't need to press "sources" and select the HDMI port from the list?
The TV Exit button will take you straight to the previously used external source

Hello there!

I have also enabled Developer options to reduce animations to 0.5x and restrict the amount of background process

Are there any more tips to speed up the system or to delete pre-installed apps in a safe way using ADB Mode?

Cheers

Problems I've experienced and solutions I found.

1) Funny Colours on screen
I had an issue with my Oppo 93 and this TV, all the colours were inverted/black became pink.

Tried many combinations of different HDMI ports on tv and on the Oppo, all the same .
Tried a different DVD player and all worked find, then tried the Oppo on another TV and it was fine there.

As it was this specific combo, tried all sorts of different video options on the TV, but couldn't get any improvement.

In the end had to do a factory reset in the TVs settings menu, all sorted*.
This seems to be a very soft reset as everything from my Input names were the same to my apps screen were no different.

The inverted/pink colours happened again, I riffled through the setup menu in the Oppo and found Video Setup-> HDMI-> Deep Color(HDMI 1)
from 36bit (or indeed any setting) to off fixed it.

Unsure if this TV doesn't support deep colour/the expanded colour space, or in a certain order of start up they negotiate something that works during HDMI handshake or I need to set something on the TV itself to support it (wide colour gamut is set to on, can't see anything else).

I introduced a HDMI processor between the TV and OPPO, and it feels like that has increased the occurrences of this.

It may be a HMDI cable thing also (especially with above, adding a second one and something else in the chain), I'll try swapping others in, maybe the expanded colour space is going beyond the bandwidth of my my fairly cheap & old cables.

4) Unsolved Remote (not) pairing
I do have an ongoing issue with pairing the remote so you can use the voice/qwerty keyboard, not sure if anyone has a cast iron solution to this problem?
Sometimes it seems to just work when it hasn't in the past and haven't tried to pair it, other times it simply won't pair no matter how many times I try (mind of its own).

After going months with the pairing, failed to pair pattern, it is finally working now, no idea why but I love having the keyboard on the back to type with!

Hello all,

I just bought a LG Soundbar capable of Dolby Atmos and connected to the TV using HDMI ARC.

Is the TV capable of reproducikg Dolby Atmos with Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc or i need and External player like the shield to do so?

Hello all,

I just bought a LG Soundbar capable of Dolby Atmos and connected to the TV using HDMI ARC.

Is the TV capable of reproducikg Dolby Atmos with Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc or i need and External player like the shield to do so?
No need for external player.

I think you need eARC for Atmos/DTS-X, this TV has the standard ARC even if the Apps support anything more than core/standard DD/DTS.

Could get an external box that outputs Atmos, feed that to the Soundbar and then onto the TV if your soundbar has input and output HDMIs, or HDMI splitter could work otherwise if only one input.

I would have my doubts that you would get a full immersive sound bubble from a soundbar (even with a couple of extra speakers that some come with), so worth trying it with the ARC from the TV first, see how it perform.
The soundbar might have its own 'upmixer' to get something better than standard 5.1/approaching Atmos.

Thanks for the information

I will try a Nividia Shield next week and yes, Soundbar has 2 way hdmi ports

And regarding surround. It's a 3.1.2 soundbar but I will get the 2 rear speakers so it will be 5.1.2. For me, it's more than enough

Thanks for the information

I will try a Nividia Shield next week and yes, Soundbar has 2 way hdmi ports

And regarding surround. It's a 3.1.2 soundbar but I will get the 2 rear speakers so it will be 5.1.2. For me, it's more than enough
If you have the top tier netflix subscription, the tv will pass on any dolby atmos through to soundbar providing you have the settings correct on tv/ soundbar.Hdmi arc is enough.Same applies to any other app that supports dolby atmos.External devices that support dolby atmos also applies.Firestick 4k,shield,cube V2.You can connect them direct to soundbar or to tv and use hdmi arc.

It wont be true dolby atmos as that requires overhead speakers,but more a virtual attempt at producing a similar soundstage.

Yes, I hace the top Netflix account and soundbar connected to TV with hdmi arc

which one is the correct setting just tu be sure: multichannel?

Yes, I hace the top Netflix account and soundbar connected to TV with hdmi arc

which one is the correct setting just tu be sure: multichannel?
Multichannel passthrough probably better option but both should work.

Dolby Audio Over HDMI Part 3: Reality.

"HDMI ARC does not have enough data capacity to support the transmission of Dolby Atmos content that is encoded using Dolby TrueHD, which is the format used on Blu-ray Disc and UHD Blu-ray Disc. To support Dolby Atmos over HDMI ARC for Blu-ray Disc playback, a television has to decode Dolby TrueHD and transcode it to Dolby Digital Plus before output. Today, this feature is only supported in televisions that have native Dolby Atmos decoding."

Does some iffy stuff, hopefully the nVidia shield will give you the original Atmos out.

Dolby Audio Over HDMI Part 3: Reality.

"HDMI ARC does not have enough data capacity to support the transmission of Dolby Atmos content that is encoded using Dolby TrueHD, which is the format used on Blu-ray Disc and UHD Blu-ray Disc. To support Dolby Atmos over HDMI ARC for Blu-ray Disc playback, a television has to decode Dolby TrueHD and transcode it to Dolby Digital Plus before output. Today, this feature is only supported in televisions that have native Dolby Atmos decoding."

Does some iffy stuff, hopefully the nVidia shield will give you the original Atmos out.
pretty clear explanation, thank you very much for the info

Really useful

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom