Philips 55POS9002 TV Owners and Discussion Thread

What are the chances of a HDR10+ update on the next firmware?

Supposed to be in, as quoted below.
Interestingly, it’s the PUS model range that the unofficial European/12 105.001.002.006 seems to be based on that some UK/05 owners are using as an interim update to fix issues.

https://www.avcesar.com/actu/id-23159/philips-choisit-le-hdr10-pour-ses-tv-set-pas-le-hdr-dolby-vision.html
Philips HDR TV range 2018 and 2017
In an interview with German magazine Video Magazine, Danny Tak revealed that the 2018 Philips HDR vintage 2018 would integrate the HDR10 + dynamic metadata process and not the HDR Dolby Vision for a ultimate HDR experience compared to simply HDR10 models. It will be the same for a selection of 2017 TVs, namely Philips PUS6412 series , Philips PUS6482 , Philips PUS7502 , Philips PUS8602 and TV Philips POS9002 .

Supposed to be in, as quoted below.
Interestingly, it’s the PUS model range that the unofficial European/12 105.001.002.006 seems to be based on that some UK/05 owners are using as an interim update to fix issues.

https://www.avcesar.com/actu/id-23159/philips-choisit-le-hdr10-pour-ses-tv-set-pas-le-hdr-dolby-vision.html
Philips HDR TV range 2018 and 2017
In an interview with German magazine Video Magazine, Danny Tak revealed that the 2018 Philips HDR vintage 2018 would integrate the HDR10 + dynamic metadata process and not the HDR Dolby Vision for a ultimate HDR experience compared to simply HDR10 models. It will be the same for a selection of 2017 TVs, namely Philips PUS6412 series , Philips PUS6482 , Philips PUS7502 , Philips PUS8602 and TV Philips POS9002 .
Let's hope so then! The only problem is do I buy now or hold out for black Friday

Let's hope so then! The only problem is do I buy now or hold out for black Friday

Well as someone who couldn’t afford it but still spent £2K on it last November, and I still think it was worth it, the £1299 from ao.com seems an amazing deal to me. Makes you wonder how much Philips makes from their high-end TVs? But then who knows how low it will go, as Philips have launched their OLED+ range with P5+... all being only European /12 models.

Well as someone who couldn’t afford it but still spent £2K on it last November, and I still think it was worth it, the £1299 from ao.com seems an amazing deal to me. Makes you wonder how much Philips makes from their high-end TVs? But then who knows how low it will go, as Philips have launched their OLED+ range with P5+... all being only European /12 models.
Agreed £1299 is a steal imo for what you get, especially with ambilight as standard as this would add considerably if added separately to a non Philips TV

Well after a lot of thought I have ordered one today from John Lewis £1299 with a 5 year guarantee. Is anyone on here using a V6 box with this tv ,would like to know the picture quality.

Well after a lot of thought I have ordered one today from John Lewis £1299 with a 5 year guarantee. Is anyone on here using a V6 box with this tv ,would like to know the picture quality.
But is John Lewis warranty good? I seem to remember they just outsource it to useless cowboys. I think I’d rather buy from Amazon and have at least 2 years no quibble usable warranty.

But is John Lewis warranty good? I seem to remember they just outsource it to useless cowboys. I think I’d rather buy from Amazon and have at least 2 years no quibble usable warranty.
I bought a Hisense TV from John Lewis April 2017, in June this year it suddenly wouldn't turn on, they sent repair team out (Martin Dawes who they seem to have outsourced to) within a couple of days, after two separate failed attempts at repairing it they decided it was uneconomical to repair (happy days I can now upgrade) they agreed to refund, the whole process took about 3 weeks which was a bit frustrating but I was pretty pleased with it in the end as they didn't try to fob me off or get away with not refunding me, as it took that long instead of deducting a percentage off the value for the amount of time I had it they refunded the full amount I originally paid, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase again from them

I bought a Hisense TV from John Lewis April 2017, in June this year it suddenly wouldn't turn on, they sent repair team out (Martin Dawes who they seem to have outsourced to) within a couple of days, after two separate failed attempts at repairing it they decided it was uneconomical to repair (happy days I can now upgrade) they agreed to refund, the whole process took about 3 weeks which was a bit frustrating but I was pretty pleased with it in the end as they didn't try to fob me off or get away with not refunding me, as it took that long instead of deducting a percentage off the value for the amount of time I had it they refunded the full amount I originally paid, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase again from them
Noted, but Amazon would have refunded the full amount, no quibble, regardless of how long you’ve owned it for and wouldn’t have even mentioned the thought of deducting a percentage off. Obviously the time period is less with Amazon, but the faff you mention of John Lewis warranty process echos my own experience. A headache, to say the least.

Noted, but Amazon would have refunded the full amount, no quibble, regardless of how long you’ve owned it for and wouldn’t have even mentioned the thought of deducting a percentage off. Obviously the time period is less with Amazon, but the faff you mention of John Lewis warranty process echos my own experience. A headache, to say the least.
Yes I think what prolonged the process is (as you mentioned) the outsourcing of repairs, they where always waiting for Martin Dawes to send there repair reports, this extra link in the chain is where they let themselves down

Since this TV's screensaver doesn't kick in with an external source (correct me of I'm wrong) is there a way to manually activate it? It would be good if there was a button on the remote but it doesn't look like there is

Since this TV's screensaver doesn't kick in with an external source (correct me of I'm wrong) is there a way to manually activate it? It would be good if there was a button on the remote but it doesn't look like there is

I think all you can do is turn the screen off, from Settings, Eco, settings, Screen off...
... any key on the remote turns it back on. I’ve used it a few times, however, most of my sources can invoke its own screen saver.

I've been following the software update saga and I've done the manual update for the TV which was kindly provided by gjgbarclay. I don't use the smart features as I have a Nvidia Shield hooked up to an AV receiver, but one annoying issue I'm hoping it will fix is that the smooth motion settings keep turning themselves on.

Unfortunately the firmware doesn't fix the smooth-motion bug which is a pain. Hopefully it will come in the upcoming update. Fingers crossed, because it is very annoying issue in an otherwise great TV.

The bug I'm talking about was mentioned in the AVForums review:
We did discover a slight software bug when testing the 9002 and sometimes, when switching inputs, frame interpolation was clearly being applied, even though the Motion setting was off. We could fix the issue by simply selecting one of the Motion settings and then selecting off again but clearly the TV shouldn't be doing this.

From HotUKDeals:

I’ve been searching for a deal on this TV for a while. The current best deal in the UK is probably John Lewis at £1299 with a 5 year warranty.

This deal gets you 2 years Amazon (so no-quibble, easy returns) warranty. The price, with UK shipping, is €1306.32 which currently converts to £1161.91 with a fee-free credit or debit card.

That's a saving of £137.09 verses buying from the UK but not only that, this is the European /12 model and not the UK /05 model. The benefit of this is the Euro model has received regular firmware updates and the Logitech Harmony issue has been fixed. The UK /05 derivative hasn't received this update.

I actually bought it yesterday from Amazon.it for €1156.54 delivered (£1029.88), which is £132.03 cheaper still, but the price has risen since then and I didn't want to post it straight away in case it was a mis-price and loads of people started ordering and mine got cancelled. Now mine has been dispatched I'm happy to post the deal, albeit at a slightly higher price.

Sorry for the waffle but, in short, this is £137 cheaper than the cheapest in the UK. You don't get 5 years JL questionable warranty but you do get 2 years brilliant Amazon warranty. You also get the superior /12 Euro derivative rather than the inferior /05 UK model. I should point out that the hardware itself, though, is identical.

Philips 55POS9002 55” OLED 4K Razor-Slim, Ambilight TV £1161.91 delivered to the UK @ Amazon.it - HotUKDeals

Are there any drawbacks to using game mode on this set? As other TV's I've had in the past disable certain features and options and never looked as good as non game mode

Last edited:

I've found a way to do this. If you just press the settings button. And leave the settings panel visible for 2 minutes the screensaver kicks in.

Mine is on it's way from Amazon Italy as we speak! Any negatives to having the /12 version, over the /05 version, in the UK?

Are there any drawbacks to using game mode on this set? As other TV's I've had in the past disable certain features and options and never looked as good as non game mode
I haven't noticed any discrepancies on my OG PS4 between 'Game' and 'Movie' picture modes (calibrated and tweaked to my tastes), the only obvious thing is that you lose the ability to turn on motion smoothing settings on 'Game', the option is greyed out. Weirdly however, this setting is back when you've got an HDR signal (using the HDR Game setting).

Games look great on this TV by the way, vibrant and crisp.

I haven't noticed any discrepancies on my OG PS4 between 'Game' and 'Movie' picture modes (calibrated and tweaked to my tastes), the only obvious thing is that you lose the ability to turn on motion smoothing settings on 'Game', the option is greyed out. Weirdly however, this setting is back when you've got an HDR signal (using the HDR Game setting).

Games look great on this TV by the way, vibrant and crisp.
Thanks, I'm trying to hold out till black friday but I don't think I have the willpower! Can't wait to see red dead redemption 2 on it

Last edited:
Hi folks, my finger's been twitching over the buy button for one of these for a while now. I'm a Logitech Harmony user, but the alternate firmware seems to sort that issue.

Can anyone comment on how well these work with a PS4 Pro? Some sets seem to have issues with different settings on the Pro. I've searched for "PS4 Pro POS9002" online but didn't come up with anything obvious (which I assume to be a good sign!). Does it play nicely switching between 4:4:4 and other signals?

I'm using a Sony HT-RT5 soundbar which allows 4k passthrough so that also looks like it'll work nicely with this set and the PS4 Pro. The recent Plex beta update for PS4 Pro supports 4k and HEVC (although no HDR yet), so I'll be keeping an eye on that. Is anyone using Plex directly on the TV (assuming it's available on this Android implementation)?

Mine is on it's way from Amazon Italy as we speak! Any negatives to having the /12 version, over the /05 version, in the UK?

I think you did the right thing, however, you may need to tell this forum of issues you see...
... unless other /12 owners watch built in HD Freeview, BBC iPlayer - including HDR, Netflix...?
Looks like several /05 owners have loaded the Philips UK Support unofficial version,
TPM171E_105.001.002.006, or even the latest 105.001.002.017 for the many /12 versions listed by Philips on the UK website. So, hopefully, you’ll be fine - please let us know.

As I’ve mentioned above, all 5 new OLEDs on Philips UK website are /12 versions, with just the 9002 having /05 - there’s no mention that these won’t play UK Freeview, BBC iPlayer...
... the following all have 105.001.002.017 s/w as the latest - 65OLED803/12, 55OLED903/12, 55OLED803/12

I think you did the right thing, however, you may need to tell this forum of issues you see...
... unless other /12 owners watch built in HD Freeview, BBC iPlayer - including HDR, Netflix...?
Looks like several /05 owners have loaded the Philips UK Support unofficial version,
TPM171E_105.001.002.006, or even the latest 105.001.002.017 for the many /12 versions listed by Philips on the UK website. So, hopefully, you’ll be fine - please let us know.

As I’ve mentioned above, all 5 new OLEDs on Philips UK website are /12 versions, with just the 9002 having /05 - there’s no mention that these won’t play UK Freeview, BBC iPlayer...
... the following all have 105.001.002.017 s/w as the latest - 65OLED803/12, 55OLED903/12, 55OLED803/12
Thank you, sir. I will indeed let you know accordingly.

Hi folks, my finger's been twitching over the buy button for one of these for a while now. I'm a Logitech Harmony user, but the alternate firmware seems to sort that issue.

Can anyone comment on how well these work with a PS4 Pro? Some sets seem to have issues with different settings on the Pro. I've searched for "PS4 Pro POS9002" online but didn't come up with anything obvious (which I assume to be a good sign!). Does it play nicely switching between 4:4:4 and other signals?

I'm using a Sony HT-RT5 soundbar which allows 4k passthrough so that also looks like it'll work nicely with this set and the PS4 Pro. The recent Plex beta update for PS4 Pro supports 4k and HEVC (although no HDR yet), so I'll be keeping an eye on that. Is anyone using Plex directly on the TV (assuming it's available on this Android implementation)?

I use a Pro. HDMI handshakes still occur for me UNLESS I use YUV420 and everything else set to AUTO. Maybe turn off HDCP too. I've had no problems since. Spiderman in HDR looks incredible.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom