Question Philips 55POS9002 at GBP1700

Farnley

Standard Member
Reaction score
i am in the market (but no real hurry) for a new TV , thought OLED , think 55 inch , last time I updated was nearly 10 years ago (Philips 47PFL9532/98) , prior to that a very heavy Sony CRT.

Would the 55POS9002 make a reasonable buy, not having DV is a potential (but maybe for my viewing, not big ) downside. love the sony a1, but a lot more than I see the Philips for.

If I go Amazon.de (I live in Germany but return to UK next year) with current Euro 300 cashback and xrate it works out a little under 1700GBP, although no stock at present, I expect that to change in coming weeks (cashback valid upto end Oct)

The warranty does worry me a little (but not too much) , but other than that is there any difference in DE and UK models, or anything else that I might want to consider.

Also limited reviews I ve seen so far, so will want to see some feedback , again I expect next few weeks to bring more feedback on line

How much you can get lg there? Believe 1700 euros or less potentially

Philips is very good but dv or hdr10+ is a major minus unless Philips wakes up

Ambilight is a great plus

£1700 is a very attractive price indeed but close to what you can get in uk with promotion for a c7 or b7... wait to test motion in person...

exchange rate is crap and I am also watching prices in France and Belgium...so far, not worth it versus U.K. Prices for sure

Germany is known for special low prices so you have potential to touch 2017 oled there at 1800 euros before promotion..with promotion and exchange rate, we talking £1500 territories

You have also access to Loewe and Metz in Germany and latter is worth considering big time for quality of built and price
There was just a big expos in Berlin last week with an onslaught of oled (toshiba, philips, Metz,...). Wait for Black Friday if you can as prices will go down with so many choices

Goldorak, thank you for finding the time to reply, and your comments are very useful , as I have no rush, and a timeline into 2018 I might just wait and see what Philips do with HDR standards, I love the design and seen the reviews on the Sony, maybe I get lucky in Europe on the pricing , or see what 2018 models bring in LG et al.

You are welcome
There is a major event first week of Jan where all 2018 model will Be announced
If you are in no hurry, lowest time to buy 2017 models is end q1 2018 when stock is cleared for new range
Beauty of this approach is that you will see what 2018 will bring and Allows you to make a decision to invest in new range or not...
If you are in a hurry, end of this year is good enough

Last edited:
While you are in Germany, you need to check if they are selling the 65 inch Philips 8001 fald lcd. It has 128 zones and should sell for €2699 list price. We are talking £2k price after promotion and exchange rate !!!!!

yes, it is no oled but worth having a look. I will seriously consider this TV until oled gets refined and cheaper...65 inch heaven with ambilight.

Of course oled is better but a different price all together.
Sadly, not coming to uk or France. Only holland and Belgium and perhaps Germany...no 65 can fit in my car but I am not giving up yet :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom