Philips 55POS9002 4K OLED TV Review & Discussion

Should be interesting to see where the ends up from a pricing point of view. It definitely need to be much cheaper IMO. Also is this using a 2017 LG Panel?, sounds like it is going on the performance in the review.

Should be interesting to see where the ends up from a pricing point of view. It definitely need to be much cheaper IMO. Also is this using a 2017 LG Panel?, sounds like it is going on the performance in the review.
Pricing is £1,999, which is the same as the Panasonic EZ952, and yes it uses a 2017 panel.

Sounds like a great choice if you don't buy into the whole superior dolby vision thing.

For me Philips should always be marked down in reviews for their failure to get their products into the UK market. A quick google suggests that this product is nowhere to be seen and not even up for pre-order which is pretty unforgiveable given we are nearly into November.

They can throw as much money as they want at their P5 picture processing chip and head to heads but they can't seem to grasp the basics like actually putting their product on retailers shelves.

Sounds like a great choice if you don't buy into the whole superior dolby vision thing.

For me Philips should always be marked down in reviews for their failure to get their products into the UK market. A quick google suggests that this product is nowhere to be seen and not even up for pre-order which is pretty unforgiveable given we are nearly into November.

They can throw as much money as they want at their P5 picture processing chip and head to heads but they can't seem to grasp the basics like actually putting their product on retailers shelves.

The frustrating thing is that they are putting them on the shelves. just not here. They have been available for months across Europe, just not the UK so clearly there's an issue somewhere?

The frustrating thing is that they are putting them on the shelves. just not here. They have been available for months across Europe, just not the UK so clearly there's an issue somewhere?

Yeah I've noticed Philips sets are not so easy to acquire in UK/IE these days too.

On another note I've seen a German HDTV Youtube site cover the 9002 and they did an interesting video, I can only guess as to what it's implying and I may be wrong as I don't speak German but it looks like the P5 motion engine can actually make 30fps console games feel like they are running at a smooth 60fps with a tolerable 55ms lag.

If anyone on avforums speaks German I'd love to know if that's what they are saying (youtube auto translate is rubbish) and if it is maybe avforums could do it's own look at it.

Marketing department clearly let the enineering department give this the model designation Piece Of Sh1*.

Yeah I've noticed Philips sets are not so easy to acquire in UK/IE these days too.

On another note I've seen a German HDTV Youtube site cover the 9002 and they did an interesting video, I can only guess as to what it's implying and I may be wrong as I don't speak German but it looks like the P5 motion engine can actually make 30fps console games feel like they are running at a smooth 60fps with a tolerable 55ms lag.

If anyone on avforums speaks German I'd love to know if that's what they are saying (youtube auto translate is rubbish) and if it is maybe avforums could do it's own look at it.
I'm something of a purist when it comes to films but for games the P5 processing and especially the frame interpolation and motion enhancements can certainly improve your gaming experience, as long as you're happy with a higher input lag. Personally 55ms makes no difference to me but I know there are more serious gamers who would consider that too high.

Steve, as an alternative buy you suggest the LG B7 and C7 due to their superior feature set, attractive design and price which I can fully appreciate. I am however most concerned to buy a TV that best handles SDR 1080i TV content which will make up 90% of my viewing content. From what I have seen in various stores, the Panasonic and Sony handle this much better. How does the Phillips compare and am I being unfair to LG?

Steve, as an alternative buy you suggest the LG B7 and C7 due to their superior feature set, attractive design and price which I can fully appreciate. I am however most concerned to buy a TV that best handles SDR 1080i TV content which will make up 90% of my viewing content. From what I have seen in various stores, the Panasonic and Sony handle this much better. How does the Phillips compare and am I being unfair to LG?
I do think you're being unfair on LG based on my personal experiences with the B7 but the Philips does handle 1080i content extremely well, as does the Sony A1, although it's a lot more expensive. As far as the Panasonic EZ952 is concerned, although I didn't have any issues during the review, I have since seen numerous reports from owners complaining of frame dropping and other issues with 1080i content, so I'm not sure that would necessarily be a good choice for you.

Marketing department clearly let the enineering department give this the model designation Piece Of Sh1*.

Was literally coming on here to post this! They need to move away from this nomenclature as soon as possible - subconsciously it must have an impact on sales!

crabby

Steve, pls can you comment motion handling between 9002 vs LG B6? I have B6 at the moment but i am not happy with its motion handling, especially 24fps. When I add de-judder, then soon will be SOE and that´s just awful:(

Steve, pls can you comment motion handling between 9002 vs LG B6? I have B6 at the moment but i am not happy with its motion handling, especially 24fps. When I add de-judder, then soon will be SOE and that´s just awful:(
I don't personally have any issues with how the B7 handles 24p content but I'd say motion handling is a strong point of the 9002.

Steve, another great review thank you.

But alas I have to agree with @dollag's post about lac of availability in the UK market.
I was very excited when Philips announced new OLED TV's and a FALD TV buts what's the likelihood of us ever seeing them in a UK store ??
Yes on paper they look great and great prices but all that is poo poo if the UK can't even see one in a store to mess about with !!!

Weirdly these are quite "cheap in Sweden. POS9002 for £1500 and the POS901 for £1400. Would be tempted to buy if there were more owners.

Quick question in regards to the ambient lighting on these displays . I use bias lighting for my 902 but this is mainly to help with black levels of LED displays. Do members that own OLED displays genuraly tend to use bias lighting ? I know it helps on eye strain but I should think it would hurt sales with that lump on the back of the Philips displays compared to others when considering black levels of OLED is so good. It does look a tad unsightly on a purely aesthetically pleasing front.

Great review Steve..
I do have a serious question regarding Phillips stance on burn in and I don't mean IR....

Is it covered under the first 12 monthn warranty ? Because my last Oled burned in just watching sky sports..I'm wondering if Philips take a different view to it and what is classed as abuse in there eyes...Is watching sky sports all day classed as abuse and should that damage an Oled panel ?

I think your reviews while being very good, should really consider that viewing habbits could really damage the Oleds and advise or offer a warning viewing guide. This way buyers can make there mind up if Oled is worth the risk to them.

Please reply Steve as I'm really interested in your opinion on this subject..After all it was avforums review which made my mind up to buy an oled in the first place.

Great review Steve..
I do have a serious question regarding Phillips stance on burn in and I don't mean IR....

Is it covered under the first 12 monthn warranty ? Because my last Oled burned in just watching sky sports..I'm wondering if Philips take a different view to it and what is classed as abuse in there eyes...Is watching sky sports all day classed as abuse and should that damage an Oled panel ?

I think your reviews while being very good, should really consider that viewing habbits could really damage the Oleds and advise or offer a warning viewing guide. This way buyers can make there mind up if Oled is worth the risk to them.

Please reply Steve as I'm really interested in your opinion on this subject..After all it was avforums review which made my mind up to buy an oled in the first place.
I'm not really in a position to comment on what individual companies offer in terms of warranties but the latest generation of OLED TVs are definitely more resistant to image retention and burn-in. They should certainly be capable of handling normal viewing habits and I certainly wouldn't consider watching Sky Sports as abuse. However I'm personally always wary of what I watch on my OLED, so I try not to leave the BBC News channel on for hours because my Kuro ended up with the BBC logo burnt into the bottom left hand corner and I don't think OLED TVs are ideal for people who game for hours on end.

I'm not really in a position to comment on what individual companies offer in terms of warranties but the latest generation of OLED TVs are definitely more resistant to image retention and burn-in. They should certainly be capable of handling normal viewing habits and I certainly wouldn't consider watching Sky Sports as abuse. However I'm personally always wary of what I watch on my OLED, so I try not to leave the BBC News channel on for hours because my Kuro ended up with the BBC logo burnt into the bottom left hand corner and I don't think OLED TVs are ideal for people who game for hours on end.

Interesting, you've prob heard or seen my problem Iv had with another company over burn in after just under 2 years..Short story my Oled is ruined and apparently Iv abused it watching sky on it..

My concern is not everyone have the same viewing habbits, lets say someone is going to be watching a lot sky sports, sky news and Play a video games on it.. Would you in your opinion advise an Oled or a LCD/led. . .?

As more and more topics are popping up over burn ins on Oled, I believe now would be a great time for reviewers to advise buyers of the risks.. These TVs are not cheap.. This is the reason Iv decided to switch back to LCD from Oled as I now don't trust the tech after my run in with burn in.

Interesting, you've prob heard or seen my problem Iv had with another company over burn in after just under 2 years..Short story my Oled is ruined and apparently Iv abused it watching sky on it..

My concern is not everyone have the same viewing habbits, lets say someone is going to be watching a lot sky sports, sky news and Play a video games on it.. Would you in your opinion advise an Oled or a LCD/led. . .?

As more and more topics are popping up over burn ins on Oled, I believe now would be a great time for reviewers to advise buyers of the risks.. These TVs are not cheap.. This is the reason Iv decided to switch back to LCD from Oled as I now don't trust the tech after my run in with burn in.

I have a 9002 and game quite heavily on it, probably up up to 6 hour sessions with static parts on the screen and although I’ve seen image retention, I’ve not experienced any burn. It’s The same story with my e6 before it was replaced by the 9002

I think that the latest generation of OLED TVs is far more robust than earlier ones when it comes to screen burn, I certainly haven't had any problems with my B7 when it comes to either image retention or screen burn.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom