Philips 55POS9002 4K OLED TV Review & Discussion

@Philips TV PQ

If TPV/Philips introduced a motion setting that had 'Perfect Natural Motion' halfway between 'minimum' and 'off' on the 9002 then I'd have a TV that I was happy with for watching 24p content. The problem with the Movie preset is that it's Perfect Natural Motion setting is set to off - what's the point? Setting this to Minimum in the personal preset introduces too much smoothing/soe which gives films an odd feel, and also introduces too many artefacts.

I used to have my LG E6 on dejudder setting 4. This ensured no SOE, but due to LG's poor performance it still introduced artefacts. The 9002 is clearly better than LG in so far as it introduces less artefacts when set to a similar level of smoothing, but we need the choice to reduce the smoothing more than is available with the minimum setting.

Getting this setting right would offer something that no other manufacturer currently offers: decent frame interpolation with very limited artefacts.

The holy grail of motion processing on OLED TVs has been to avoid having to make the choice between judder and artefacts. A half way solution between off and minimum as described above would really would mean the decision would no longer need to be made.

Let me know how you get on. They told me they can't price match until the product is available on the RS website (currently displayed as 'coming soon'), and they won't pricematch AO.com. So basically never knowingly undersold, with a few caveats.

Went into store with paperwork and a print of the RS web page - £200 refunded without any question.....

JL still won't refund me £200 despite my best efforts. They say it's in-store only at RS & not available to buy online. I'll wait until January, and if it's still available for £1799 I'll send back to JL and buy elsewhere.

JL still won't refund me £200 despite my best efforts. They say it's in-store only at RS & not available to buy online. I'll wait until January, and if it's still available for £1799 I'll send back to JL and buy elsewhere.

RS now have the 9002 to buy on-line:
TV All | Richer Sounds

So for those who bought from JLP on-line, you can re-visit your price match.

Due to availability Philips will only replace my /05 with a /12. I'm not sure I want that, but they insist they're the same. Does anyone know the differences? I notice they have different firmware updates.
Anyway, I'm not really sure I want to replace it at all if all sets have the same green tinted top LED strip. Not sure what to do.
On another topic, JL won't retrospectively price match RS for me, with the reason of 'can't be ordered online'.
Philips TV model numbers: Every TV series explained

looks like its a european model /12 so assume the /05 is the uk variant I wouldn't worry about it :)

Philips TV model numbers: Every TV series explained

looks like its a european model /12 so assume the /05 is the uk variant I wouldn't worry about it :)

Thanks. I spoke with John Lewis and they said I’d lose their 5 year warranty if I went for a Philips repair/exchange and I should start the process with them instead.
So I see little point in getting a repair or exchange, it would make more sense to just return it and buy another one (or not). I have until mid-Jan to ponder that one.
In the meantime they have agreed the £200 refund (matching RS) now, thanks for the info in the above post.

My problem is that I don’t know if mine is unusual with the green tinted top Ambilight or not. I’m suspecting not, as others have already said theirs is the same.

So rather than go through all the hassle of an exchange, I think I might just stick with it and hope for a software update at some point...

Thanks. I spoke with John Lewis and they said I’d lose their 5 year warranty if I went for a Philips repair/exchange and I should start the process with them instead.
So I see little point in getting a repair or exchange, it would make more sense to just return it and buy another one (or not). I have until mid-Jan to ponder that one.
In the meantime they have agreed the £200 refund (matching RS) now, thanks for the info in the above post.

My problem is that I don’t know if mine is unusual with the green tinted top Ambilight or not. I’m suspecting not, as others have already said theirs is the same.

So rather than go through all the hassle of an exchange, I think I might just stick with it and hope for a software update at some point...

I've decided the same - there are clearly software issues (see my other thread re black bars included in letterbox content) that may, hopefully, get fixed over time, however the top amblilight is in sets of 4 LEDS and the sides in sets of 2. As my TV is on a stand across a corner, the hard ambilight light/shadow lines on wall and ceiling are very pronounced too - I'm thinking about investing in some soft of diffuser material to reduce this...... All in all, the ambilight is better on my £579 55PUS6272.....

To those that own this TV,

What are the Fit to Screen & Stretch options like for 4K Blu Rays?

Unitl 4K TV's are made with a 21:9 aspect ratio as standard I hate viewing 4K Blu's with Black Bars so have to use the Magnify option on my X Box One as aspect ratio button on my Panny TV doesn't work in full 4K mode, but you can tell when things are zoomed in that way with text disappearing off screen.

So just wondering what these 2 options are like on the Philips as this was holding my interest.

Thanks.

To those that own this TV,

What are the Fit to Screen & Stretch options like for 4K Blu Rays?

Unitl 4K TV's are made with a 21:9 aspect ratio as standard I hate viewing 4K Blu's with Black Bars so have to use the Magnify option on my X Box One as aspect ratio button on my Panny TV doesn't work in full 4K mode, but you can tell when things are zoomed in that way with text disappearing off screen.

So just wondering what these 2 options are like on the Philips as this was holding my interest.

Thanks.

I’m not quite sure what you mean, but there’s a zoom option which allows the black bars to be removed. In general, there seems to be quite a lot of control over ratios with stretch, shift & zoom, all with incremental steps that can set by the user.

Be aware before purchasing, ITV Hub, All4 and My5 are not available for this TV. Freeview play is also not available online for this model.

I’m not quite sure what you mean, but there’s a zoom option which allows the black bars to be removed. In general, there seems to be quite a lot of control over ratios with stretch, shift & zoom, all with incremental steps that can set by the user.

Ha, Thanks for that. Didn't get a notification of this response.

I have a 4K Panny upstairs & if you watch 4K Blu Rays at full 2160 the Zoom option doesn't work, it gets locked.

Went to Richer Sounds to view this TV but they don't have it on display in store yet as I wanted to see what if the fit to screen or zoom / stretch options would work.

Guy in shop tried to do it on a few other TV's in the store & all models whether Sony, LG, Panny, etc all seem to lock at full 4K & don't let you use the zoom or stretch options for some reason.

In Zoom mode can you tell it has been zoomed in, like when the credits start at the beginning of the film can you see all text or can you see it's been stretched when text goes off screen etc?

Thanks.

I've decided the same - there are clearly software issues (see my other thread re black bars included in letterbox content) that may, hopefully, get fixed over time, however the top amblilight is in sets of 4 LEDS and the sides in sets of 2. As my TV is on a stand across a corner, the hard ambilight light/shadow lines on wall and ceiling are very pronounced too - I'm thinking about investing in some soft of diffuser material to reduce this...... All in all, the ambilight is better on my £579 55PUS6272.....
Hi, Did you improve your ambilight shadow issue? I have the same problem, My old philips set had the led's close to the edge which gave an even glow, This model they sit lower down the back and cast a line/shadow,interested if anyone has a solution?

Hi, Did you improve your ambilight shadow issue? I have the same problem, My old philips set had the led's close to the edge which gave an even glow, This model they sit lower down the back and cast a line/shadow,interested if anyone has a solution?

No - I’ve learned to live with it....

I had my Philips 65PUS7601 across a corner and the very pronounced sharp Ambilight lines where the sides of TV met the wall were horrendous.
My temporary fix was to diffuse the light with grease proof baking paper.
I got a roll, cut a strip the height of my TV and about 3inches wide, then stuck this in an arc all the way down over the leds on each side of the TV.

Worked a treat as it really softened up the harsh edge.

However I have since had a complete rearrange of my living room and TV i’s now wall mounted on centre of a wall and WOW it’s like I’ve discovered Ambilight all over again it’s SO much better !!

Hello 9002 owners!
Recently I bought this tv and I do really like it except one thing. As you can see on the photos when I display blank white picture the top part of the screen seems to have a bit warmer tone than the rest. Moreover if I look on tv at different angle the area with more warm changes.
I am not sure if it is defect or it is same on other 9002 so I'd be realy thankfull if you could check this and reply! If it is defect I'll then need to change my item.
Thanks!
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG

It’s a common thing with the oled panels. It’s not just Philips, all the panels are supplied from LG so all oled panels are susceptible to this issue.

My LG 920v had a terrible yellow hue across the middle of the screen.

Your well within your rights to get it replaced. Do not be put off the Philips due to this. Like I said, it’s a lottery with all the manufacturers when it comes to clean panels. Some people have changed 4-5 TVs before they were happy with theirs.

I have the 55POS9002 for 4 days now,

I have 2 questions:
1)
In beginning, via button ‘info’ on remote control, I saw in the INFO window the resolution of the signal.
In my case it was first 1080p, than I changed bluray setting to 4k resolution.
After some time the resolution of the incoming signal was not in the INFO window.
After I reinstalled the tv completely, the resolution was back in the Info window.
But now it is again gone.
Is this only me? Or is this a firmware problem?

2)
In the service menu,
The ambilight settings, the different segments cannot be selected, everytime I chose another than segment ‘1’ when I go to brightness setting , segment is automaticaly changed to ‘1’ again.

Thanks,
Bert

Any sign of a HDR10+ firmware update for this model yet?

No - I’ve learned to live with it....
Right guys, found a solution. I had the PFL8007 before this and like you all said the light was way more uniform and vibrant. This solution is primitive but damn effective.

Get some foil, cut a length the size of the processing box on the back of the tv. Fold over the bottom part about 3 times until its ridgid. Rest the bottom fold of the foil ontop of the processing box and tape carefully to the back of the panel. Fold out the bottom part of the foil and adjust its angle to suit your TVs distance from the wall, or until the line disappears. I’ve adjusted mine so the light just hits where my wall and ceiling meet, no more lines and it’s perfectly diffused, see pics below for results.

Attachments

• 713A625C-4933-46C1-BA6A-FF5CC049329A.jpeg
    713A625C-4933-46C1-BA6A-FF5CC049329A.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 263
  • 5D6B2241-63F4-47B9-9AA1-B653FBCE7A85.jpeg
    5D6B2241-63F4-47B9-9AA1-B653FBCE7A85.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 202
  • 39D2BC56-8B56-42C8-9324-23BF239E38F9.jpeg
    39D2BC56-8B56-42C8-9324-23BF239E38F9.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 204
  • AD9FAE69-0BB2-418D-AEFB-3CE493B55153.jpeg
    AD9FAE69-0BB2-418D-AEFB-3CE493B55153.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 207
  • 6D5F1A99-630D-4F2C-A2D8-701CA4B0E09A.jpeg
    6D5F1A99-630D-4F2C-A2D8-701CA4B0E09A.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 208
  • DECAF7AA-AB36-4027-96D5-A6578676D4A0.jpeg
    DECAF7AA-AB36-4027-96D5-A6578676D4A0.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 211
Last edited:
I have the 55POS9002 for 4 days now,

I have 2 questions:
1)
In beginning, via button ‘info’ on remote control, I saw in the INFO window the resolution of the signal.
In my case it was first 1080p, than I changed bluray setting to 4k resolution.
After some time the resolution of the incoming signal was not in the INFO window.
After I reinstalled the tv completely, the resolution was back in the Info window.
But now it is again gone.

2)
In the service menu,
The ambilight settings, the different segments cannot be selected, everytime I chose another than segment ‘1’ when I go to brightness setting , segment is automaticaly changed to ‘1’ again.

Thanks,
Bert

I solved it,
1) with an upgrade to the latest firmware

2) after selecting an preferred section( 1 , 2 , .. ) you go back in interface once with left button remote control and you go immediately back in preferred section list with right button remote control.
Then you go to brightness setting and you get the setting for preferred section.
I think this is a firmware problem or something that you need to go twice in section menu before tv remembers preferred section.

I'm nervous to purchase this over the LG B7 as I hear such good things about Web OS, but ambilight looks good to me. For 1500 vs the LG at 1300 it's a tough choice

I'm nervous to purchase this over the LG B7 as I hear such good things about Web OS, but ambilight looks good to me. For 1500 vs the LG at 1300 it's a tough choice
It is a hard choice indeed. Especially that a 803 Philips is on approach with latest panels and better sound.
You also now have the B8 available. Don’t know what are the improvement over b7

Didn't know about the 803! I guess it depends on pricing. Maybe I'll hang in there for a little while to see how it pans out.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom