Bargain Philips 55POS9002/05 Amazon Prime Day £1,199

Discussion in 'Philips TVs Forum' started by pinnocchio, Jul 16, 2018.

1. pinnocchio

pinnocchio

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +631
    2. mbilejo

mbilejo

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +19

Thanks, I literally ordered one only hours ago from JL for £1,499, then saw the PrimeDay deal.

However, how much value does the 5 year JL warranty add, would you say?

I'm almost considering paying more via JL for the warranty - I have had many Philips TV's over the last decade and I know first hand that you absolutely NEED a warranty with them. Am I mad to pay more?

3. prvjoker

prvjoker

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +302
      I really like the ambilight feature a lot but after considering this for 10 seconds, especially with no warranty I went ahead an purchased 2 hue lightstrips from the Prime sale. I'll lose out on the syncing for sure but am not convinced I could tolerate all that color for extended periods. Bias lighting was the real reason I want the ambi.

Now to wait for the C8 price drop in Nov :D

4. Mane UK

Mane UK

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +62
      This does have a warranty.
      Ambilight has lots of tuning options in terms of brightness, saturation, and response - or you can set it to d65 or turn it off.
      Once you get used to it, it really is much more immersive because it extends the colour and motion to your peripheral vision without taking focus from the screen - like surround-sound for the eyes!

I wouldn't hesitate to get this, it's better than the LG in many ways, and has very few negative points only affecting very specific use cases (fixes for which are expected in September - see the owner's thread)

If the amazon and manufacturer's standard warranty aren't good enough for you in terms of coverage or time, it's still cheaper to get this and a 3rd party warranty or add this to your house insurance!

5. prvjoker

prvjoker

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +302
      2 years warranty isn't filling me with confidence. I would have taken a punt on this had it been a 65 but those seem to be incredibly scarce. So b7 it is for now.

6. Mane UK

Mane UK

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +62
      65 is scarce indeed.

Standard UK consumer law gives 6 months where the product can be returned for any fault where the onus is on the retailer to prove that the fault was not present at time of purchase, and then a further 5.5 years whereby any faults not caused by accidental damage will be repaired or replaced with the onus on consumer to prove the fault. Any product must be fit for purpose.

So 6 years standard consumer protection for a TV.
      I'd still add it to your house insurance to accidental damage.

How much extra is a 5 year warranty worth? Nothing! How much is buying from a vendor with known good customer service and policies? Quite a lot! Like Costco, easy returns.
      I have good experience with amazon.co.uk customer service with an issue on a not-TV electronic device.

7. mbilejo

mbilejo

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +19
      TBF, it comes with 2 years manufacturers warranty in any event so the benefit of buying from JL is only an extra 3 years. But I really like buying my TV's from JL - I've had full refunds after 3 years in the past when a fault arose on a different Philips TV.

The price is still £300 more though so...

8. mbilejo

mbilejo

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +19
      Price is now £1299 via JL!

I had ordered one from Amazon but will cancel that in favour of JL now.

9. Mane UK

Mane UK

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +62
      Preference is always weird isn't it - I'd avoid John Lewis if I could because they almost always have trouble delivering large items; things are either damaged or up to 6 months late.
      Yes, 6 months!! When John Lewis say 'In stock now' they mean 'available for order' they don't necessarily mean they actually have the unit themselves - semantics like "it's in-stock in our partners warehouse" mean nothing when they affect delivery times.
      I appreciate that may be specific to my delivery area, and surely isn't everyone's experience. For collections they are fine, but for orders with delivery (on the ir own green trucks, so no excuse!) JL are shockingly bad, whereas amazon are consistently good and couple it with very friendly customer service.

10. prvjoker

prvjoker

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +302
      Yeah I decided that £300 pound difference brings me closer to B765" in fact and looking at it that way....hard to ignore the value there.

11. mbilejo

mbilejo

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +19
      I didn't clarify what I did, did I? So I had ordered it from JL on Monday at £1499 and paid for next day delivery, however within hours I saw the Prime day deal and ordered that.

It was too late to cancel the JL order so I was just going to return it unopened and keep the Amazon one. It arrived on time yesterday as arranged. When I placed the order with Amazon, the next available delivery was Saturday.

I then started going back and forth with myself as to which one I should keep due to the warranty thing I outlined above - The JL one was sitting there and I was finding it hard to resist opening it but for a £300 saving, I found the patience!

Now with the JL price drop (they are going to refund the difference for me as the price dropped within 28 days of me ordering), I have cancelled the Amazon order.

a Long story, but what I'm getting at is for me, in this instance, I was able to get it from JL quicker than from Amazon. Granted I paid £20 for next day delivery which may be the reason why there were no delays.

I know there was still a £100 saving to be had from Amazon, but my past experience with Philips TV's and JL tells me that is a reasonable amount to pay for the peace of mind (or is it piece of mind? :D)

12. rogrog

rogrog
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1
      Now £1300 at JL.