Question Philips 55oled935 'Cracking noise from rear'.

Kel280green

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I have had my Philips 55oled935 for two weeks now and as stated elsewhere on the forums, it is an amazing TV and I am very happy with it.
However, there is an unusual noise that comes from the back of the TV after being switched on for a couple of minutes. The best description I can give is like a sudden cracking or creaking noise. Its reasonably loud and lasts for a couple of seconds and then it doesn't happen again until after the switch on the next day. It sounds similar to the plastic trim in a car moving against other trim and it makes me think is it the rear panel not screwed down enough, or similar.
I have had a few Philips TV's over the years (both oled and LCD), but have never experienced this noise.
I suppose it could be a 'settling' noise caused by the sudden heat build up after switch on, but the TV doesn't get unusually hot.
Could anyone shed any light on this, or should I be looking at an exchange?
Thanks for any help.
Tim

Mine does that every so often (7394), and seen other posts with similar complaint. I have like a second crack... It does look like some heat expands plastic.... Well time will show, one year so far ok. What I did not like is flimsiness of back cover, does not feel too sturdy and can be easily pressed in.

Another option maybe backlight heats and moves? :lesson:

Thanks for the reply. I have been researching it and it appears to be accepted behaviour and doesn’t do any harm. It only happens the once and so unless it gets more frequent, I suppose we have to put up with it?

Thanks for the reply. I have been researching it and it appears to be accepted behaviour and doesn’t do any harm. It only happens the once and so unless it gets more frequent, I suppose we have to put up with it?
Honestly its kids tv, I only noticed it after a while when someone posted same question here and decided to check. Did power up in the morning and it did the noise. Now know about it does annoy, but I am not main user:D But noise is very silent, so not sure how bad is yours. Its probably lottery really. Same as backlight bleed some users posted here were shocking, again I was probably lucky as mine just few tiny areas. Other like had 3 replacements and with every one it gone worse... In all I am not happy with build quality - well could be control in production is hit and miss with the shifts :facepalm: But does not affect daily use and have 6 year warranty so if it becomes problem RS hopefully will save me :)

Probably worth waiting for same model owners to confirm your case. But mine 100% during cold start does like crack/cling noise, quite silent.

It might well be like the good old ‘panel lottery’. I expect the noise will become less relevant over time and now I know it’s not unusual behaviour, I will log it with Philips (so there is a dated record) and continue to enjoy its stunning picture.
Thanks for your input.
Tim

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom