Philips 55OLED856 better than a Samsung QE55QN95A?

Jimbo435

Standard Member
Reaction score
I’m looking to replace my aging Samsung JS8500 with either a new OLED or Samsung’s QLED. Despite loving Samsung TVs I thought it would make sense to get a TV that has both Dolby Vision and HDR10+ so I was looking at the Philips 55OLED856. However, with no formal reviews of the TV that I can find, I’m not sure whether it’s actually any good, albeit recognising that the previous year model was highly rated.

Does anyone have this TV and if so, is it any good? Or am I worrying too much about getting a TV with both the main HDR formats and that going for a Samsung QE55QN95A or indeed a LG 55C1 which, whilst just having one type of format each, will be as equally good are both rated highly for picture quality?

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Panasonic also do both hdr formats. Ive got a Panasonic with just hdr10 + and a sony with just d vision and noticed no difference. The c1 will be about a grand come black Friday so i would go with that and not worry about hdr10 +

Panasonic also do both hdr formats. Ive got a Panasonic with just hdr10 + and a sony with just d vision and noticed no difference. The c1 will be about a grand come black Friday so i would go with that and not worry about hdr10 +
Thanks Martin. Yes, Panasonic do both formats as well so that is another option but it’s interesting in what you say about not being able to tell the difference between the formats which is what I thought might be the case, and hence the original question really. I guess you may be able to notice on a much larger screen, but with a 55 inch you’re probably not going to notice.

Its just nit picking i think i now have a 65 sony a8 and its just stunning for£1500. I paid nearly £1300 for the 55 panasonic

I have both and I like them equally. Each of them has its flaws, there's no perfect TV.

Brightness on the Samsung is simply jaw dropping, contrast and black level are also extremely good but not quite at oled level yet (but VERY close to it).

I think standard sdr tv looks better on the Philips (probably it has a better upscaler). Movie watching is also better on the Philips due to oled type of contrast + dolby vision. However noise suppression is a thousand time better on the Samsung.

Also, gaming is much better on the Samsung due to the much higher brightness output in HDR.

I use the Samsung in my gaming room for gaming on PC and the Philips in the living room for general watching and gaming on consoles. It is bright enough even during daytime. However I am constantly debating if I should swap the two TVs since console gaming would have that extra punch thanks to the higher brightness of the Samsung.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom