• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Philips 55OLED803 4K video lag/stutter

IceAgeScrat

Standard Member
Hey folks,

Posting this on behalf of my uncle.... I'm not lucky enough to afford a TV like this :)

He bought a Philips 55OLED803 at Christmas, spanking TV I must say, so I bought him an external HDD for 4K movies in MKV format for Christmas, thought it would be a nice addition.

However, to my absolute shock horror, almost all the 4K video stutter/lag/pause every few seconds, both audio and video.

Now both my Hisense TV's are fine and my friends £500 Philips Ambilight handles the MKV's just fine, however this £1500 telly can't?:confused::eek:

Looking to hear from anyone else who has tried this and their feedback, maybe the telly is faulty?

I've tried so far -
  1. USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports (HDD is USB 3.0 WD Passport) = same on both
  2. 1080p MKV's up to 35GB in size = play fine from what I can see/tell
  3. 4K BBC Dynasties episode, MKV around 20GB, plays fine from the bits I saw
  4. 4K movies ranging from 50GB to 90GB each, stutter, lag, pause every few seconds
  5. Latest firmware = no difference made
My next point of call is Richer Sounds as that is where they bought it and to see if they can reproduce the problem and/or open a ticket with Philips, surely this should work fine?

I can also share videos of the problem from google drive if anyone wants to see the issue?

Cheers all, really appreciate any help on this one,
Scrat

vmagix

Established Member
Try VLC from Google play - had some issues with stuttering before switching to VLC from the built in media player.

Cameron583

Prominent Member
If it's 24 Hz content, it could well be due to the near instantaneous response times of OLED pixels - a few reviews pick up on this.

If you can, enable Phillips' version of black frame insertion and play around with motion settings until you're happy :)

IceAgeScrat

Standard Member
Thanks for all the suggestions, I forwarded them on and unfortunately neither vlc, nor mx player did the job :facepalm:

Didn't suggest Kodi as I reckon I'll have to sort that one (too complex). Also the motion settings, again, something for me to sort.

Could you gents be so kind to confirm you're playing (or have tried) from a USB hdd and not via a media server?

Losing my mind at the moment :clap: lol

vmagix

Established Member
Thanks for all the suggestions, I forwarded them on and unfortunately neither vlc, nor mx player did the job :facepalm:

Didn't suggest Kodi as I reckon I'll have to sort that one (too complex). Also the motion settings, again, something for me to sort.

Could you gents be so kind to confirm you're playing (or have tried) from a USB hdd and not via a media server?

Losing my mind at the moment :clap: lol

I've been streaming from a media server on the LAN tbh mate - not tried streaming from a USB

Mane UK

Established Member
Some stuff to consider.

Is there an encoding difference between Dynasties and the movies? Any other difference than filesize? If no other difference; What happens if you crop the movie (make it shorter) so the filesize is smaller?
Can you try the same movie file on a flash drive rather than mechanical hard drive?

Also do not think it sounds like motion settings, as you state audio lag/stutter alongside the video so it seems clear that it's the files or the interface.

IceAgeScrat

Standard Member
Some stuff to consider.

Is there an encoding difference between Dynasties and the movies? Any other difference than filesize? If no other difference; What happens if you crop the movie (make it shorter) so the filesize is smaller?
Can you try the same movie file on a flash drive rather than mechanical hard drive?

Also do not think it sounds like motion settings, as you state audio lag/stutter alongside the video so it seems clear that it's the files or the interface.

Appreciate the suggestion, will have a nosey and revert!

Julian71

Established Member
Biggest file I have played through my 6272 is a 35gb H265 MKV - Video bit rate is 39,000kbps and I did notice some slowdown on intense action parts of the film.

Normally play 1080 files at around 10 - 15,000kbps with no problems.

Not sure if usb stick or tv causing it. 64gb Sandisk Cruzer Blade.

Last edited:

IceAgeScrat

Standard Member
Hey all,

Just to close this thread out I guess....

Encoding wise, all the same. Believe it or not, but splitting the files doesn't help which is really bizarre.

However, we have got it all working using VLC in the end, I'm not sure what they tried when I asked but I do trust them so maybe the app has been updated since?!?! Anyway, all sorted, appreciate all the suggestions!

Ta,
Scrat

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom