Philips 55OLED803 4K TV Preview & Comments

My main issue is still skin tone. There is no default preset that will display natural skin tone as i am used from my Sony TV and Pioneer Kuro before it... I tried suggested settings from flatpannelshd review and few more and nothing comes even close to how natural skintone looks on my crappy IPS Sony XE8096 :(
Read the J. Archer 903 review yesterday and he was talking about a 'skin tone issue' (without elaborating further :rolleyes:; at least not in this regurgitated review :laugh:, he did a little in his review on another site). And he says Vivid is the one to use ...

A forum friends told me today that Philips Oled appeared at curry’s...
That’s good news
@Phil Hinton had a freeking tough week, can you please lighten up our life’s with your Philips Oled review :)

I see Currys have it priced at £1549 for the 55Oled803, good starting price
The 55Oled903 is £2499, not a good starting price

I see Currys have it priced at £1549 for the 55Oled803, good starting price
The 55Oled903 is £2499, not a good starting price
Where did you see that? I just found the 65 at curry’s. The 803 is supposed to be £2000 so £1549 is abnormal price
Édit: tried again and seen them just now. The 803 price is very good. 903 is supposed to be £500 more so overpriced here for sure

Last edited:
Currys have certainly given RS a kicking if this is the price they are selling it at

DAD18D37-6844-4F88-B311-321B1A1623F0.jpeg
Currys have certainly given RS a kicking if this is the price they are selling it at

Sure i could but if thats the only way this issue can be fixed than this is the first and last Philips TV i will ever buy. I know tvs cant be calibrated perfectly out of box. But every single tv i owned up to this one had great color presets that didnt have any skin tone issues at all.
One option is to adjust the white balance by eye. It is not ideal but can help if the colours are way off.

You will need some grey test patterns from 10% to 100%. (Google for 11 point white balance patterns)

Go through them on the TV and see if they look too red/green/blue. Also note which of the slides seems out for example you may find that darker greys are ok but brighter greys are too blue.

With 2 point white balance there will be separate gain and bias controls for the three primary colours - red, green and blue. Gain adjusts colours around 80% brightness and bias around 30%.

So for example if bright greys are too red you will want to turn the red gain control down - or the blue and green gains up.

On my Samsung TV bright colours were way too red so I adjusted the red gain down and that was a big improvement. (I then used my colour meter to make more accurate improvements.)

Yupp, that looks like a fairly typical LG 2018 panel to me ;)
Which would be a shame if some Philip's TVs are now shipping with LGs 2019 panels. :)

I am confused a little.
Do 873 and 803 share the same panel?
Philips didn’t help there For sure
In a nutshell, 803 and 903 are the ONLY true 2018 oled from Philips with a 2018 panel (possible they may even have an improved version or preview of 2019)
Both these TVs have the second generation p5 processor. They are exactly the same and 903 have a B&W sound system on top...that’s it.
Hope it helps

Not just about philips, but about integrated soundbar trend in general.
Does the soundbar such as the one that comes with 903 (or like in panasonic case, fz952 vs fz800 etc etc) really worth 800-1000 euros extra? The thing is i dont really see how a "proper" sound system will fit in my room because i live in what you may call "commieblock" with poor sound isolation and it is not OK to bother neighbours we kinda try to keep things civilized and it just takes too much space. Or for the price difference between 803 and 903 i can buy better soundbar?

Not just about philips, but about integrated soundbar trend in general.
Does the soundbar such as the one that comes with 903 (or like in panasonic case, fz952 vs fz800 etc etc) really worth 800-1000 euros extra? The thing is i dont really see how a "proper" sound system will fit in my room because i live in what you may call "commieblock" with poor sound isolation and it is not OK to bother neighbours we kinda try to keep things civilized and it just takes too much space. Or for the price difference between 803 and 903 i can buy better soundbar?
Difficult one but all the feedback I read from forum friends is that 903 sound is very very good...
I think John archer said it replaces easily a mid range soundbar...the difference with 803 must be 500 euros max
I also live in a small place and a good integrated soundbar wins everytime...
The sound of 803 is also good so worth trying too
Note: opposite is true for pana. Avoid soubdbar model unless you want the nice remote (can still have it separately)

Last edited:
Difficult one but all the feedback I read from forum friends is that 903 sound is very very good...
I think John archer said it replaces easily a mid range soundbar...the difference with 803 must be 500 euros max
I also live in a small place and a good integrated soundbar wins everytime...
The sound of 803 is also good so worth trying too

The difference increases with 65 inch models which i am looking into right now.

The difference increases with 65 inch models which i am looking into right now.
Difference should not be more than £500 or 700 euros
Be patient as discounts and promotion will come for Philips, no doubt about that

I am looking at buying either a Philips 803 or a Q9FN. I previously had a Philips POS9002 but returned it due to software issues and heavy vertical banding. How is the 803 software wise? Any annoying bugs?

Br J

I am looking at buying either a Philips 803 or a Q9FN. I previously had a Philips POS9002 but returned it due to software issues and heavy vertical banding. How is the 803 software wise? Any annoying bugs?

Br J

Fingers crossed we will have the full review up soon, Phil has one to play with.

Well if u returned 9002 because of Android problems than i dont think u should buy 803 as its based on same old Android 7 and has even more bugs because this model is fresh out in the wild.

Br J
I have this tv for over a week now with none major software issues yet. Everything looks and feel smooth operating the tv.. Android tv is surprising stable and smooth in this tv. But as i said is just a week..

Only one thing I noticed is while watching Netflix's haunting of the hill house when is very very dark in the actor's skin something like a soft "burn" effect (?). Something has to do with the brightness because i pause the video and play with the setting and while i was changing the brightness i saw the same in the paused/ static picture. Leveling up the brightness for less than a second this burn "effect" appears and immediately goes away so i cant take a photo to post here..

Br J
All the reviews I read so far praise the tv but noticed lots of bugs and soc under powered but not as bad as Sony
NOW, Philips is getting Oreo and I personally will not buy a Philips before I see it with that OS (which is also good because price is too high right now)

French forum also highlighted some issues with pixel shift and this strange effect on skins...

Phil is playing with it now but until he release his review, you can check Vincent YouTube video and flatpanelhd review...

i've seen a couple of reviews mentioning that 903 input lag is on par with top contenders and about 22ms in game mode while 803 mentions up to 38ms
How can this be possible if they share the same processing and panel? That's another philips mistery i'd like to solve :D

i've seen a couple of reviews mentioning that 903 input lag is on par with top contenders and about 22ms in game mode while 803 mentions up to 38ms
How can this be possible if they share the same processing and panel? That's another philips mistery i'd like to solve :D
Read the same and confused !!!!
It is supposed to be the exact same TVs

Those with 22ms are from the same writer and is simply a number when compared to another monitor. The 38ms is the number that is measured by the now more universally used method (aka the Bodnar device measurement; Rtings have created their own Bodnar device but numbers seem similar; I believe they can do 4K from the device and maybe more variations)

Those with 22ms are from the same writer and is simply a number when compared to another monitor. The 38ms is the number that is measured by the now more universally used method (aka the Bodnar device measurement; Rtings have created their own Bodnar device but numbers seem similar; I believe they can do 4K from the device and maybe more variations)

Not sure if the method was mentioned.
Philips OLED 803 4K HDR TV (55OLED803) review | TechRadar
Philips OLED+ 903 (65OLED+903) review | TechRadar
The author is different though, they may use different methods.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom