Quantcast

Philips 55 Oled 804, 854 Owners Thread

Silverblack

As per title thought it made sense to make an owners thread as i’ve just got the 804.

A thread is nothing without pictures so heres one, and more to follow as it’s been a long day!

D5497584-44D1-4CD8-B14B-0F74C1A4FEAC.jpeg

I will say this i’m super impressed with the deep rich blacks smooth motion crystal clear picture. I’ve got the tv controlling my ATV and PS4

My settings so far is... Movie mode perfect natural motion minimum, clear motion minimum, all noise reduction settings off all HD sources picture format set to screen fit

Silverblack

So far this tv is surpassing all expectations... I’ve since got it on the wall and it’s just an incredible picture! The amount of detail it is able to eek out is hard to explain, the pictures don’t do it justice if i’m honest.

Attachments

Last edited:

Skyfall74

Hey, thanks for starting the thread.

I've got my eyes on this tv.

What's the motion like on high settings?

What's the lip sync like on Netflix?

Silverblack

I haven’t tried the high settings, as i’m sure i will run into artefacts...

Honestly the motion on it’s lowest setting is so sharp and i haven’t experienced any blur, i unfortunately don’t have Netflix so can’t help you there sorry.

The combination of the P5 processor alongside the perfect natural motion and clear natural motion setting combined displays pictures in an almost 3 dimensional manner.

dickyarundel

Motion on high settings is not great.Too many artefacts.
On the netflix internal app,no lip sync issues via arc through denon avr.I have not tried it through the tv speakers.

Silverblack

Just adding to this thread playing PS4 on the HDR setting is insanely good...

However i don’t like the game mode i find that it looks over saturated and garish for my liking, i much prefer the movie mode with all motion processing switched off.

I’m happy to report that i’ve suffered no lag playing pes 2020 the graphics are sharp vibrant and is very responsive.

On another note i think richersounds sold me a european model as the manual is in a different language also the signage on the box is a different language and the remote doesn’t have the freeview play button.

It’s not a big deal as i have the manual downloaded in english and the tv found and tuned all the available HD channels. As well asks what language you want on initial setup so no big deal.

Just a little info for any who may be wondering

Attachments

ShezaUK

Any issues with the system software?

My Dad has a Philips POS9002 which also runs Android TV and it has caused quite a few problems, such as motion settings not being saved properly or not respecting the user's selection.

pkozerski

Novice Member
Hello

Im new here and Im also new owner of OLED 804. I wanted to ask about 1 thing, because I have google home mini speaker. I can turn on my TV using google home mini, but I cannot turn it off, is it possible to turn it off somehow? I have also alexa speaker in home, I installed Alexa on TV and Alexa can turn it on, off and even swith TV channels, TV have google home build in and I cannot do same things using google home speaker. I can of course use google home from remote controller but its usless for me to have remote with me all the time.

Best regards

stubrownlfc

Novice Member
Hi, my Philips 804 arrived yesterday. Overall really happy with it. I have struggled to find perfect settings though. I keep getting pixelated images when there's fast motion. I have also noticed that my screen doesn't seem to be central with a larger boarder with unused pixels on the L/H side. In the display format settings the option to try to fix this is greyed out. Has anyone else encountered these issues with their sets?

Maulsull

Novice Member
Hi, my Philips 804 arrived yesterday. Overall really happy with it. I have struggled to find perfect settings though. I keep getting pixelated images when there's fast motion. I have also noticed that my screen doesn't seem to be central with a larger boarder with unused pixels on the L/H side. In the display format settings the option to try to fix this is greyed out. Has anyone else encountered these issues with their sets?
Hi, the larger border is due to the pixel shift function that is a protection feature against burn in. I have a 854 as of last week and the border moves around the sides of the screen with respect to time I.e. will shift from left to right and I think top and bottom too. See if yours does that. As far as I know you can’t disable it.

i have been playing with the motion settings too and movie mode seems to introduce the least interpolation artefacts that you maybe seeing? Also produces no soap opera effect. What mode is your motion settings on? Tbh I’m getting used to the motion as it’s different from my 2012 Samsung and actually made me feel a bit queasy but seems better day by day. Super telly though. The picture is amazing in general especially with a 4K hdr source.

stubrownlfc

Novice Member
Hi, the larger border is due to the pixel shift function that is a protection feature against burn in. I have a 854 as of last week and the border moves around the sides of the screen with respect to time I.e. will shift from left to right and I think top and bottom too. See if yours does that. As far as I know you can’t disable it.

i have been playing with the motion settings too and movie mode seems to introduce the least interpolation artefacts that you maybe seeing? Also produces no soap opera effect. What mode is your motion settings on? Tbh I’m getting used to the motion as it’s different from my 2012 Samsung and actually made me feel a bit queasy but seems better day by day. Super telly though. The picture is amazing in general especially with a 4K hdr source.
Hi, thank you for your reply. That makes sense about the screen shifting to protect against screen burn. I'll keep an eye on it to see if it moves around.

I think I had tried it on Movie mode for motion, I currently had the HDR on personal and have the noise and artefacts set to minimum. Not sure if these have an impact on it or not? I've been using the inbuilt Netflix and Disney apps for 4k content and it looks amazing! I find the Prime video app to not be a crisp as when I watch it from my Nvidia Shield 2017. Only problem is this device doesn't support HDR10+ or Dolby Video. I'm contemplating upgrading it to the 2019 pro version as it supports these and apparently has amazing 4k upscaling AI for HD content. My old 2014 50" Sony backlit LED died last week. The picture is obviously not a patch on the 804, but it handled motion superbly and I never experienced these artefacts on that set.

I'll continue to tweak the settings to see if I can get it spot on. Hoping it can happen as all the reviews I read raved about its motion handling and picture quality in general.

Thanks again. Stu