1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 50" Plasma soon

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by phil_evans, Aug 12, 2002.

1. phil_evans

phil_evans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just found this:

http://www.whatvideotv.com/news/fra...ews.php?id=2090

And an old Philips press release:

http://www.press.ce.philips.com/press/20020131_219.html

The supposedly new 42" Philips (42PF9964) is an ALiS device that has been out for a while. However, the 50" 50PF9964 set seems to be genuinely new. Only details I can find are in Russian:

http://www.ce.philips.ru/products/product.asp?pid=472

Anyone know where the 1365 x 768 glass is sourced from?

All the Philips sets are very stylish in my opinion, just a shame about the ALiS screens in the 42".

Phil

2. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i had 2 philips plasma imho there are not that good
    both had to be returned due to pq problems
    42pf9952
    42pf9964

3. phil_evans

phil_evans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi jmack,

Was it the same problem with both models - i.e. those faint vertical bands on the display?

Did you discover whether that was the media box/tuner or a fault with the ALiS screens? If its the tuner, then it may affect the 50" too - but I'm more hopeful as the resolution suggests it might be Panny or NEC glass.

Bound to be a premium price for the 50" though. John Lewis quoted me £5775 on the 42PF9964. :(

4. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i paid £4200 for the 42pf9964 from www.nexnix.co.uk the 64 model had grey vertical lines accross the screen on all formats
    the 52 had a very bad dancing pixel problem at the bottom half inch of the screen.

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Phil
    I was interested in the Philips 42" model a while ago (8 weeks or so)
    the model number ending with 64

and the actual panel Looks very classy indeed in my opinion, but after scouring round various magazines and websites & forums, the general feeling is that the picture quality just does not cut the mustard.

and one mag " cant remember which one off hand" even went as far as to say the picture lets it down,

Hi Spek had a special offer on the 42" model, £3600 which I nearly bit the bullet and bought it, then JMack started posting various problems and together with the bad reports about it, I did,nt want to take the risk of getting a duff picture. I would sooner get one that gets very little problems posted about it,

and the one I think gets hardly ever any-one posting faults, are the Pioneers

and as well as giving it a good road test, the picture just left me open mouthed with DVD and the TV Playback is pretty damned good too
    I just think that when spending upwards of 4 grand, I want to be 110% sure that what I am buying is right for me

6. phil_evans

phil_evans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Party Animal,

I know what you mean. The more I read the more I get put off buying anything - thats the trouble with the internet I guess - too much advice/ criticism available!

I think the Pioneer has huge strengths. However, seeing it next to a Panny 42" always makes me wonder what it would look like in a dark room with dark DVD scenes (e.g. Phantom Menace, Matrix etc). Have you seen it under similar conditions or will you always be viewing with some light in the room? Maybe Bentalls just have it set up badly, or maybe I simply need to see it in isolation to realise its actually fine (if not quite as black as the Panny).

Will be very interested in your comments once yours arrives.