Philips 49PUS7101 UHD 4K TV Review & Comments

I find these reviews very interesting and helpful, but there are gaps in the sort of stuff that I, and others, might be interested in. One common bugbear with many TVs on the market now is their inability to deliver multi-channel audio via HDMI ARC, from the onboard tuner(s), from equipment connected via HDMI to the TV. and from the embedded smart applications like Amazon Prime and Netflix. Would it be possible to add this type of testing to the reviews please? Manufacturers don't seem very keen to publish this type of information, but for me, it's a deal-breaker if I can't get multi-channel audio from the various sources via HDMI. My aging Sony FreeviewHD TV definitely can deliver this, but it seems that many later TVs can't.

Cheers, Clem

Very interesting review, thanks Steve. As a newbie to anything vaguely technical-sounding, why would one not have a TV professionally calibrated at this price point? Is there a generally accepted price point at which a TV should be calibrated? I thought calibration was always worthwhile if you have a HD telly, regardless of size/how much it cost. *shrug*

Yes it is always worthwhile getting your TV calibrated, I didn't mean to suggest otherwise and the 7101 would certainly benefit from a calibration. However, with a professional calibration costing between £200 and £300, that is a significant percentage of the TV's price.

Yes it is always worthwhile getting your TV calibrated, I didn't mean to suggest otherwise and the 7101 would certainly benefit from a calibration. However, with a professional calibration costing between £200 and £300, that is a significant percentage of the TV's price.

Hi Steve, I have this TV and have no clue how to get anything close to HDR!

What am I missing? I can't find the settings and I have no HDR options on Netflix etc. This is compared to my other TV the Sony XD93 which auto HDR on Netflix and easy to find settings.

What are your sources? The TV will switch automatically into its HDR modes when it detects an HDR signal. At the moment the Netflix and Amazon apps don't support HDR, that will be added soon in a firmware update.

Hi Steve, is there any way you could confirm if this TV can accept HDR signal in Game Mode? Some TVs when accepting HDR signal goes to normal processing outside of Game mode which is really bad for input lag. Thank you in advance.

I don't have the 7101 any more but I do have the 7601 at the moment, which shares the same firmware. The 7601 has a dedicated HDR Game mode and so does the 7101, you can actually see it in the settings video included in the review.

I don't have the 7101 any more but I do have the 7601 at the moment, which shares the same firmware. The 7601 has a dedicated HDR Game mode and so does the 7101, you can actually see it in the settings video included in the review.

Thank you for your quick response. It's nice to hear that.

I'm considering this one and Sony 55XD8005 which si similar (better in terms of input lag). Better would be Samsung 55KS7002 but it's almost 25% up in price comparing to those two.

Hey im thinkin about gettin this tv and ill mostly use it for gaming and watchin movies, but i read from several sites that its not good for gaming, is that really true? i really like the atmosphere the ambilight gets u into and it would be good in both gaming and watching movies.

i Have the Tv its good for games and movies but in dark area there is some motion blur in movies

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom