Philips 46PFL8008 LED LCD 3D TV Review

Tech News

Reaction score
Reviewed by Stephen Withers, 27th April 2013. Ultimately, the Philips 46PFL8008 delivers a great all-round performance and whilst it is at the more expensive end of the spectrum, it certainly has plenty to recommend it and definitely worth a demo.
Read the full review...

I have bought this Philips 46PFL8008 LED LCD 3D TV recently and I can say that this product is worth a try and I am sure you will like this. I was also not convinced initially, but later I thought that I could have missed such a good product.

What settings did you use in the ISF Night? The ones in the pcitures or?

I have 55pfl8008 and I'd like to know... :lease:

Was interested in this until I found out that there isn't a 40" version!

Hi Steve, I was surprised by this reference 3D TV, 3D surpasses Samsung F8000 and is at the same level as the Panasonic VT60 3D? Thanks, and forgive my English, I'm Spanish. A Salute.

:)

I was surprised at how good the Philips PFL8008 was in 3D, especially considering the PFL9007 was rather poor in this area. I haven't reviewed the Panasonic VT60 yet but Samsung F8000 lost marks for having undefeatable processing in 3D.

I was surprised at how good the Philips PFL8008 was in 3D, especially considering the PFL9007 was rather poor in this area. I haven't reviewed the Panasonic VT60 yet but Samsung F8000 lost marks for having undefeatable processing in 3D.
Thanks.

@byron_hinson: A 40' version is definitely available in Europe, perhaps not in the US?

@Steve: Can you tell us a bit more about how motion is handled when Perfect Pixel HD is turned off? I never liked the "unnatural" effect that it generates when watching 24p movie material. But without it, there normally isn't any judder correction at all on the older models.

I currently own a 40PFL9704H model with full backlight and I'm kinda wondering if I'm going to "lose" a lot regarding black levels, etc. when I would switch to an edge-lit model like the 8008.

Can you tell us a bit more about how motion is handled when Perfect Pixel HD is turned off? I never liked the "unnatural" effect that it generates when watching 24p movie material. But without it, there normally isn't any judder correction at all on the older models.

I quite agree that any frame interpolation software, whilst effectively smoothing motion, will ruin the look of film-based material. Motion handling is always a weakness of LCD technology but overall I found the motion to be quite good and largely free of judder with Perfect Pixel HD turned off.

Steve, thanks for your reply.

Do you have any views on making the switch from a local dimming TV like my 40PFL9704H to an edge-lit TV like the 8008? I've read that the Philips 8007 and 8008 series are quite good in contrast and black levels despite being edge-lit and I'm wondering what kind of difference I would see.

I think the black levels will hold up, the problem with any edge-lit TV can be the uniformity of the backlight and that is often a bit of a lottery.

Hi Steve, is the 3D quality of this tv better than the LG Cinema 3D or equal and is the tv screen bright enough with the glasses on?

The 3D was excellent on the PFL8008 and it had plenty of brightness but comparisons to LG's TVs are difficult because they use passive rather than active. Both methods of delivery have their strengths and weaknesses.

What settings did you use in the ISF Night? The ones in the pcitures or?

I have 55pfl8008 and I'd like to know... :lease:

How do you find the tv in general i am interested in this set, I will use it for SD HD and xbox gaming. Also were did you buy your set from i am struggling to find this set for a good look at before buying.

Thanks in advance

Ian

:lease: I want to buy a LED TV 46 "and I'm torn between the Philips 46PFL8008 and Samsung UE46F8000. What is your opinion? Both are very good I know. Never seen the two side by side so you can compare them. Know that the Philips 46PFL8008 is better in 3D, but I would like to know something more. Thanks.

Well the F8000 is an excellent LCD TV with a good picture, attractive design, reference Smart TV and a wide field of view. The Philips is also very good, with great 3D and better blacks but a narrow field of view due to the panel it uses. But in the end it's your money so it has to be your choice, I can't make it for you you.

Well the F8000 is an excellent LCD TV with a good picture, attractive design, reference Smart TV and a wide field of view. The Philips is also very good, with great 3D and better blacks but a narrow field of view due to the panel it uses. But in the end it's your money so it has to be your choice, I can't make it for you you.

How narrow is the angle on the PFL8008? Is there washout before 45 degrees of axis?

Thank you for your help. I really like the Philips 46PFL8008 in some aspects, but I will buy Samsung UE46F8000. They are both excellent TVs, but Samsung manages to gather more points in favor, is the best price quality. Also won the TIPA award - Best Photo TV, which proves to be a Led TV with great image quality. Your help was very important. Thank you again.

Hello. New member here.

I've just bought one of these TVs. I've just done some calibration with the Disney WOW disc and have now got a pretty decent picture. One problem is the amount of clouding that I am getting on the left hand side of the screen. I sent my last Philips back because of this problem and the last thing I expected from a TV this expensive was clouding straight out of the box. What if any is an acceptable amount of clouding? Should I put up with it? It's fairly evident in dark scenes such as Batman Begins. Any advice would be great.

Well unfortunately bright edges and clouding are inevitable drawbacks of edge lit LED LCD TVs. To get them so thin, the LEDs are are the edge - either the sides or the top and bottom - and effectively bounced off a mirror behind the LCD panel in order to illuminate it. The level of clouding or bright edges can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and even panel to panel, making it a bit of a lottery. It tends to be more obvious at night, so using the ISF Ambilight setting might help. Otherwise, the only thing you can really do is try and adjust the Backlight Contrast control to see if you can minimise the clouding. There are some suggested settings here that you might want to try: http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-...8008-reviewers-recommended-best-settings.html

Well unfortunately bright edges and clouding are inevitable drawbacks of edge lit LED LCD TVs. To get them so thin, the LEDs are are the edge - either the sides or the top and bottom - and effectively bounced off a mirror behind the LCD panel in order to illuminate it. The level of clouding or bright edges can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and even panel to panel, making it a bit of a lottery. It tends to be more obvious at night, so using the ISF Ambilight setting might help. Otherwise, the only thing you can really do is try and adjust the Backlight Contrast control to see if you can minimise the clouding. There are some suggested settings here that you might want to try: http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-...8008-reviewers-recommended-best-settings.html

Thank you for the quick reply.
It is a bit of a shame because the picture is otherwise very good. I will try the recommended settings and see if it will make any difference. From your experience does clouding get worse? I suppose there is no way of knowing really. Would there be grounds to ask for an exchange from the place I bought it? But like you say, there is no guarantee that the new panel will be any better. Hmmmmm...

One other quick question. Do you have settings for the ISF Amblight?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom