Philips 46PFL7007T/12 keeps turning itself off

MarkySparkSurrey

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi. Our Philips LCD TV has started playing up recently. The model number is 46PFL7007T/12. It randomly turns itself off, typically once every 1 or 2 days. It powers up again when I press the Power button on the remote control. When it powers up again, the picture is initially all fuzzy, so I turn it off and on again with the remote control, and then it’s fine. It’s not a major problem, it’s just a bit of an annoyance at the moment. The TV is almost 7 years old, and it was from the Philips 2012 model year range. The issue doesn’t seem to be linked to a specific HDMI input socket or HDMI cable, because it happens with two different HDMI inputs (YouView box and Nintendo Switch games console). I am using the original Philips remote control. I have updated the TV’s software to the latest version, which I downloaded from the Philips website and installed via a USB thumb drive.

Is this something which anybody else has experienced before with one of these Philips TV’s? If so, is it easy to fix? I did send a message to a local TV repair place, but they declined to even try fixing it. I know a 7-year old TV is getting on a bit. But the picture quality is really good, and I’m reluctant to change it until I can get a similar-sized OLED TV for a reasonable price (like the brand new 48” LG OLED model). I don’t have a big enough lounge for a 55” screen.

Hi. Our Philips LCD TV has started playing up recently. The model number is 46PFL7007T/12. It randomly turns itself off, typically once every 1 or 2 days. It powers up again when I press the Power button on the remote control. When it powers up again, the picture is initially all fuzzy, so I turn it off and on again with the remote control, and then it’s fine. It’s not a major problem, it’s just a bit of an annoyance at the moment. The TV is almost 7 years old, and it was from the Philips 2012 model year range. The issue doesn’t seem to be linked to a specific HDMI input socket or HDMI cable, because it happens with two different HDMI inputs (YouView box and Nintendo Switch games console). I am using the original Philips remote control. I have updated the TV’s software to the latest version, which I downloaded from the Philips website and installed via a USB thumb drive.

Is this something which anybody else has experienced before with one of these Philips TV’s? If so, is it easy to fix? I did send a message to a local TV repair place, but they declined to even try fixing it. I know a 7-year old TV is getting on a bit. But the picture quality is really good, and I’m reluctant to change it until I can get a similar-sized OLED TV for a reasonable price (like the brand new 48” LG OLED model). I don’t have a big enough lounge for a 55” screen.
Renew batteries in remote and check for any shutdown timers being active.

Hi Supermal,
Thanks for your advice. I had already tried both of those, but unfortunately it didn’t make any difference. I had actually been using a 3rd party remote control, so I switched back to the original Philips remote, and I checked the batteries when I did that.
Many years ago, We had a couple of HP monitors at work which did something similar. It turned out that it was a very inexpensive capacitor on one of the PCB’s which had failed. One of my colleagues bought some new capacitors from RS Components, soldered them to the PCB instead of the old ones, and that fixed the problem. I’m wondering whether I perhaps have a similar problem with a failed capacitor on my TV. But I wouldn’t feel safe messing about with power supply components myself!

Hi Supermal,
Thanks for your advice. I had already tried both of those, but unfortunately it didn’t make any difference. I had actually been using a 3rd party remote control, so I switched back to the original Philips remote, and I checked the batteries when I did that.
Many years ago, We had a couple of HP monitors at work which did something similar. It turned out that it was a very inexpensive capacitor on one of the PCB’s which had failed. One of my colleagues bought some new capacitors from RS Components, soldered them to the PCB instead of the old ones, and that fixed the problem. I’m wondering whether I perhaps have a similar problem with a failed capacitor on my TV. But I wouldn’t feel safe messing about with power supply components myself!
No problem.You have done well getting 7 years use.Time for a new one perhaps?Good luck.

Hi,

the Fusion R1 hardware platform from 2012 is the worst of the last 10 years... however, what you can try:
- factory reset and setup without internet connection at all
- open the back plate and add some kind of cooler on the main chip

Toengel@Alex

Hi,

the Fusion R1 hardware platform from 2012 is the worst of the last 10 years... however, what you can try:
- factory reset and setup without internet connection at all
- open the back plate and add some kind of cooler on the main chip

Toengel@Alex

Hi Member 846527,

Thanks for your feedback. Is this a known issue with this model of Philips TV? Do I need to do both actions, in order to fix it, or will just a factory reset help on its own?

I actually got fed up with this issue, and bit the bullet and bought myself a new TV (Samsung QE55Q90R). So I have put my old Philips 46PFL7007T/12 up for sale on eBay for £100, and I explained this issue in my eBay listing. Maybe I'm being a bit over-optimistic with my asking price of £100, but it's actually a really nice TV apart from this issue. As I'm not actually using this Philips TV any more, and as it can go for many hours before it turns itself off, it's impossible for me to test whether any fixes have actually worked. So I'll go ahead and do a factory reset without any internet connection, but I don't really fancy opening up the TV and adding cooling mechanisms etc.!

It is worth noting that the Philips TV brand was sold to a company called TPV in 2012.
I suspect the quality isn't as good as when Philips still made them.
Samsung and Sony etc. actually make their TVs.

I didn't want to open up the TV to assemble a cooler on the main chip. But I did try doing a factory reset. I'm not sure why I never thought of that. I just assumed that upgrading the firmware to the most recent version (even though the most recent firmware is already several years old) was my best chance of fixing any bugs. So I decided to leave the TV turned on after I did the factory reset. But after a few hours it had turned itself off again.

So I then had another look in all the different options in the different menus. Under the "General Settings" section, there are actually two different settings which I thought could potentially have been causing this problem. One of them is called "Sleep Timer" and the other one is called "Switch off timer". So I disabled both of those options. I left the TV on all afternoon yesterday, without any problem. I then turned it on again this morning and left it turned on for 13 hours, and again it has been fine.

So now I'm really not sure whether my TV is still broken, or whether it's fixed. I have a brand new Samsung QE55Q90R in my lounge, which my wife would be quite happy for me to send back if our old Philips TV is now actually fixed! I'm sure she thinks that I deliberately didn't try hard enough to fix the Philips one before I splashed out on our brand new Samsung TV! Anyway, I'm definitely not sending my gorgeous new Samsung QE55Q90R back, it's staying!

I've taken down my eBay listing for our old Philips TV, and I think I'll just put it in our kids' play room. It seems a shame to sell the Philips TV for a pittance, if it's now fixed. So my wife now thinks we have 2 oversized TV's in the house!

The problem is, I have no idea what the "Sleep Timer" and "Switch off timer" were set to previously, as they would have been reset to default settings when I did the factory reset. But I certainly haven't touched either of those settings in years, if ever, and it was only a few months ago that the TV started turning itself off randomly. If it was one of these settings which was causing it to turn itself off, I would have expected to see some kind of message pop up on the screen before it actually turned itself off. I do remember seeing some such messages pop up on the screen in the past, and I just clicked a button on the remote to stop it going to sleep, but I can't remember whether those messages were related to the TV going to sleep, or my YouView box going to sleep.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom