Philips 42PUS7363/12 Latest Android update: "wide angle" distortion in Youtube/Vimeo/Netflix

Henrikkkk

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new to the forum and I'm here to seek advice to a very frustrating problem. All help is highly appreciated.

With the latest update (TPM171E _ 107.000.222.001 – Date: 2019/03/04), I'm stuck with the unbelievably annoying image distortion effect where the sides of the image are horizontally stretched and the middle is squeezed.

I've uploaded an image to illustrate the problem. It's a still from a Youtube video called "10 Best Watch Brands For A Student Or Teenager On A Limited Budget - Under $500 - #GIAJ5":

The three round shapes capture the essence of the problem. This issue repeats accross all video apps that I have installed on the Android TV - Vimeo, Youtube, Netflix, Yle Areena. On the regular TV side of things, the image is perfectly fine.

How do I disable this horrible effect? Has anyone else encountered this?

Attachments

• Philips_TV_ongelma_ENG.jpg
    Philips_TV_ongelma_ENG.jpg
    498.9 KB · Views: 190
Hi all, I'm new to the forum and I'm here to seek advice to a very frustrating problem. All help is highly appreciated.

With the latest update (TPM171E _ 107.000.222.001 – Date: 2019/03/04), I'm stuck with the unbelievably annoying image distortion effect where the sides of the image are horizontally stretched and the middle is squeezed.

I've uploaded an image to illustrate the problem. It's a still from a Youtube video called "10 Best Watch Brands For A Student Or Teenager On A Limited Budget - Under $500 - #GIAJ5":

The three round shapes capture the essence of the problem. This issue repeats accross all video apps that I have installed on the Android TV - Vimeo, Youtube, Netflix, Yle Areena. On the regular TV side of things, the image is perfectly fine.

How do I disable this horrible effect? Has anyone else encountered this?

I just checked your YouTube video on my tv and my phone. You’re absolutely right. Your photos look exactly the same as mine. I have the same annoying distortion effect on my tv in the apps. I think it’s a philips software bug/ problem and hope they will fix this soon.

I don't think it's the latest, I know better than to let any operating system update itself automatically. The version on my TV is 107.000.222.001

I have this issue too (7303)

Used to be fine. Problem is that the "picture format" option is greyed out, so you can't put it back in to normal widescreen, you are stuck with stretch-edge widescreen.

The issue basically means that the apps in the TV are useless. I am having to use Xbox equivalents for now, but want to use the TV ones as I have my Xbox permanently in game mode etc (plus takes a while to fire up the Xbox and is using extra power for no good reason.)

Problem also applies to recordings made on the TV (again, used to be fine, but can't switch picture mode anymore) which is particularly annoying, as the channels display normally as you watch them live, just that the recordings are stuck in stretch mode.

Not sure why it's not available via auto update. I updated to resolve my Plex aspect ratio issue.

Glad it fixes your problem too

Hello, i'm a new owner of an 55PUS7303.
When i turned it on it updated to the lastest firmware TPM171E_R.107.001.038.000
I have the exact same distorsion problems, it is present both on tv and in netflix and other apps.
Also casting (screen share / miracast) from phone or laptop doesn't work.

Any ideas?

I’ve just did the update. Many thanks for your link. Problems (above in the post) are solved!!

Great to hear somebody has had the problem solved with an update. I'm hoping the next update fixes the problem for my TV, too. Otherwise, I'll just revert to factory settings because I think the problem wasn't there originally. Also, bluetooth has stopped working on my TV, which is annoying.

UPDATE:
After factory reset, everythings okay.

Same here... 55PUS8303, latest firmware TPM171E_R.107.001.101.002
Netflix test pattern, built in client vs netflix from PC.
netflix.gif

YouTube built in client, HW overlays on vs off (in developer mode). This trick didn't work on Netflix. :(
youtube.gif

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom