Philips 42pfl9803 Led Backlight 2.000.000:1 Contrast

This is the first I have heard of the 9803 and was in the process of trying to convince the wife that the the 9603 was the way to go. The issue with the 9603, was its styling, thankfully the 9803, ticks all the boxes for her, so the obvious Q is, where can I get one and how much.

I realise that it is not due out until Sept, so the who is a mute point currently, but does anyone have an idea on a more accuare price for the UK market yet

Thanks

The manual specifically states that adjusting contrast has no effect on black level?

Don't believe a manual since it was written for dummies, not for people who actually know something about TV.

Under contrast, you can set a backlight level.
Under dynamic backlight dimming, you can set various taste settings of the dynamic algorithms.
The lightsensor will also affect the backlight.

Last edited:
ok can anyone give any info about input lag on 9803, will it change or will they at least improve game mode?

ok can anyone give any info about input lag on 9803, will it change or will they at least improve game mode?
Seeing as the motherboard is supposed to be the same as that in the 9603/9703-series, I'd expect a similar performance. However, seeing as this model incorporates the new LED-tech, I wouldn't be surprised if gaming-performance is less, because it's non-optimized new technology (when it comes to usage in TVs, I know LEDs aren't exactly space-age/alien-tech anymore ;)).

Too bad it will only come in a 42" size, though :( I was thinking of going for a 47" 9703, then this EISA-prize-winner shows up. Should I go for size or new tech? To use an old slogan of theirs (yet slightly altered) > Philips, let's make things easier! Use the new tech in all sizes! ;)

exactly, im still thinking of going after 47" 9703, and if 9803 gets bad reviews input lag wise, im gonna buy 9703, the only thing that bothers me is : is 9703 really worth those extra 550 euro over 9603?

nice to c im not alone in this dillema

Ok, this short preview makes the 9803 WAY more interesting than the 9703 when it comes to both movies and games. Meaning: everything you want to use your brand new TV for. I mean, the story about the contrast sounds really credible. Why wouldn't you want such a boost in your colors and blacks? No more greyish black ftw! Now I just have to convince myself 42" is enough and silver looks good :p

i just have to convince myself 42" is enough too, but the input lag will be the ultimate decider for me, we're expecting this tv to arrive in megastore where i work, in about 2-3 weeks from now and first thing ill do is connect pcs to 9803 and 9603 and measure that LAG !

Last edited:
i just have to convince myself 42" is enough too, but the input lag will be the ultimate decider for me, we're expecting this tv to arrive in megastore where i work, in about 2-3 weeks from now and first thing ill do is connect pcs to 9803 and 9603 and measure that LAG !

Hi,

Imho, 42" is OK but 46"/47" would have far better!

Suave!

sir, yes sir, i wouldve been delighted with a 47" version but sometimes in life u just gotta swallow ur pride and tell the greed to go multiply itself for the sake of superior picture quality and kuro standards black levels, cant wait to see the reviews

Anyone know if the 9803 will ever come in black -- i think the silver looks crap!

The presenter in the Aving link says the price will be about 2000 euros - elsewhere it says 2500 euros!

2000 is a far more realistic price, about twice that of a good Sony/Panasonic - and it's still a premium price-tag for new tech that's relatively untested.

2000 Euros (approx. 1600 pound sterling) would tempt me to overcome my sheer hatred of the metallic frame. Am i the only one who would prefer it in black?

Duncanc, from what I've seen on pictures, I totally dislike the silver too :( Would look awkward next to my speakers, amp, etc. I doubt they'll produce it in a diffferent color though, all Philips tv models are available in only 1 color as far as I know.

Btw, do I understand correctly that the 9803 has only Ambilight Spectra II? Meaning there is no lighting on the top side?

Last edited:
Any announcment of availability and price yet? I have been trying to decide on a 40" or 46" LED HDTV all day seeing as Samsung & Sony do not do 42", this could be perfect if it is the price is right.

thats right, no ambilight on top
To be honest, till I saw that little videoclip, I assumed it would have Spectra 3, seeing as it's supposed to be a more high-end model than both the 9603 AND 9703. Why downgrade Ambilight all of a sudden. I find this very disappointing, as I have about ~1.5 meters of white wall free above my current LCD.

To be honest, till I saw that little videoclip, I assumed it would have Spectra 3, seeing as it's supposed to be a more high-end model than both the 9603 AND 9703. Why downgrade Ambilight all of a sudden. I find this very disappointing, as I have about ~1.5 meters of white wall free above my current LCD.

I too am disappointed that it doesn't have Spectra 3. I agree, it doesn't make sense! - I guess the excuse would be the 34mm slim bezel.

Still I'm not letting this get to me as it at least does have Spectra - the latest Ambilight tech and the sheer improvement in picture quality is astounding!!!

It's most likely LED Lux will be used broadly in next years top end models along with black bezels, Spectra 3, Essence and Aurea III???!!

Anyway I can't wait! This TV is the best LCD TV that money can buy!!

I too am disappointed that it doesn't have Spectra 3. I agree, it doesn't make sense! - I guess the excuse would be the 34mm slim bezel.

Still I'm not letting this get to me as it at least does have Spectra - the latest Ambilight tech and the sheer improvement in picture quality is astounding!!!

It's most likely LED Lux will be used broadly in next years top end models along with black bezels, Spectra 3, Essence and Aurea III???!!

Anyway I can't wait! This TV is the best LCD TV that money can buy!!
Hehe, I was just looking at the new Aurea and the Essence model and was thinking along the same lines. Why not integrate these new technologies. Now we have to choose either:
- Minimalistic design, wallhugging and just a single cable
- The best contrast values ever seen in an LCD
- Fancy colors surrounding the screen

To me, Aurea is the least interesting feature, but the fact that the Essence model can really fit tight against the wall and only 1 cable goes into it (you'll never have to remove your tv from the wall or try to wiggle cables into their sockets again!) and that this is lacking in the 9803 both astounds and annoys me. I want a superslim model with LED-tech! (And maybe some Spectra 3, although this might not be possible with the whole superslim-thingee ;))

If I spend my cash now and get one of these models (I'd go for performance every time, so it'd be the 9803 if reviews are good), I'll be pretty annoyed when (not if) models with these technologies combined come out next year.

Btw, what I don't get, why not make a port on every new high-end model for the all-in-one cable and just offer the "box" seperately for ~100 euro's. I'd buy it in an instant!

Last edited:
Agree with the recent comments about Ambilight Spectra 3. Seems incredible they haven't included this on a flagship model. I currently have the 37PFL9731with 3 sided Ambilight and love the effect. Thought this new model was going to be the one for me to upgrade to but may now have to wait to see if the next series does have Ambilight Spectra 3. Don't want to go for the two sided version and then see a 3 sided one come out in a few months. Drat and double drat!

Agree with the recent comments about Ambilight Spectra 3. Seems incredible they haven't included this on a flagship model. I currently have the 37PFL9731with 3 sided Ambilight and love the effect. Thought this new model was going to be the one for me to upgrade to but may now have to wait to see if the next series does have Ambilight Spectra 3. Don't want to go for the two sided version and then see a 3 sided one come out in a few months. Drat and double drat!

I can't help wondering how many of you manage to buy a new model when you already have the last! Do you sell the old one or are you all loaded? :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom