Philips 42PFL7666T Owners Thread

Does anyone know which 3d glasses and gaming glasses i need to get for this tv and how much they are?

cheers

Andy

It comes with two pairs of glasses and being a spectacle wearer, I bought these:

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

and they work perfectly.

Cheers mate. I don't wear glasses myself though. I have got the 2 free pairs but could do with another 2 for my kids and want the gaming glasses for my ps3.
Thanks for the quick reply though.

Andy

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Cheers mate. I don't wear glasses myself though. I have got the 2 free pairs but could do with another 2 for my kids and want the gaming glasses for my ps3.
Thanks for the quick reply though.

Andy

Sorry, should have been a bit clearer, but the eBay seller I got my clip on glasses from also sells a range of othe passive glasses suitable for our tv. Can recommend him, very quick service. Not being a gamer, I didn't realise you needed specific 3d glasses for gaming.

The gaming glasses he mentioned are the ones required for Full Screen/Split Screen Multiplay gaming John, they have one sets of Left only lenses and one sets of Right only lenses, then when you put the TV in split screen mode both users will be able to view thier own seperate screens full size instead of half size via the glasses :thumbsup:

The gaming glasses he mentioned are the ones required for Full Screen/Split Screen Multiplay gaming John, they have one sets of Left only lenses and one sets of Right only lenses, then when you put the TV in split screen mode both users will be able to view thier own seperate screens full size instead of half size via the glasses :thumbsup:

So, one person sees one image, the other a different one ? If only they could apply that to normal viewing it would save me from endless hours of eastenders and masterchef and the like. Swmbo could wear her pair and I could watch something else whilst wearing mine :smashin:Just think of the domestic harmony that would bring:D

Hello Everybody!

After much deliberation and reading up on the alternatives I've decided to replace my old Philips 32" Matchline TV with one of these beauties. Richer Sounds were shifting them for only £650 so it was too good an opportunity to miss. I should be setting it up in the next day or so once I've found someone strong enough to help me move my old TV from the corner of the room!

I have a couple of questions that I hope someone may be able to help with:

Is it still the case the the TV won't play MKV files over the network, only USB.

If I connect up a usb Hard Drive for Pause/record functionality is this storage space visible on the network so I can copy files to it like a NAS or is it only for recording purposes?

Cheers!

Is it still the case the the TV won't play MKV files over the network, only USB.

Cheers!

I can safely say that most video file formats, including MKV, can be successfully played wirelessly via a computer using tversity.

Also have a Lacie Network Hard Drive and confirm that MKV files will play.

Last edited:
Also have a Lacie Network Hard Drive and confirm that MKV files will play.

Cheers for this. How does the TV connect to the Hard Drive - via USB or LAN/Wifi? I'm looking at getting a NAS to put all my media on so I don't have to keep my PC on at all times.

Finally got the beast set up - although I still have plenty of tweaking to do. One more question - I don't see any HD channels showing in the TV guide - Is that because it's not found any because my indoor roof aerial is so lame or because it just replaces the SD ones with HD, where present? I don't see any HD idents or anything.

Finally got the beast set up - although I still have plenty of tweaking to do. One more question - I don't see any HD channels showing in the TV guide - Is that because it's not found any because my indoor roof aerial is so lame or because it just replaces the SD ones with HD, where present? I don't see any HD idents or anything.

HD Channels 50-54 require more bandwidth. Need to upgrade aerial. Had same problem with outdoor aerial.

Cheers for this. How does the TV connect to the Hard Drive - via USB or LAN/Wifi? I'm looking at getting a NAS to put all my media on so I don't have to keep my PC on at all times.

I do have a portable hard drive plugged into the TV, but the Network Drive is connected as per any NAS, directly into the router.

I've just treated myself to a Sony BDP-S490 3D blu-ray player to go with my 47pfl7666. I'm watching the only 3D blu I've got, "Hugo" and while the 3D is great, I have small black borders round the image. I've tried all the setting I can think of, both on the player and tv, but the borders persist. Sky 3D fills the screen to the edges.
Any suggestions?
JP

What aspect ratio is the blu-ray disc in?
If it's 2.35:1 black borders are to be expected and that's how it's meant to be viewed.

Thanks, JayCee. I know to expect black borders top and bottom on 2.35:1 discs.
Hugo is 16:9 and I see a small black border to the sides and top and bottom. It's as if the image being displayed unscaled even though the tv is set to widescreen. I've looked at the tv settings and the option to increase / decrease screen edges is greyed out. It's no big deal, I was just curious to know if anyone else had a smilar image.
Cheers,
JP

John Pickles said:
Thanks, JayCee. I know to expect black borders top and bottom on 2.35:1 discs.
Hugo is 16:9 and I see a small black border to the sides and top and bottom. It's as if the image being displayed unscaled even though the tv is set to widescreen. I've looked at the tv settings and the option to increase / decrease screen edges is greyed out. It's no big deal, I was just curious to know if anyone else had a smilar image.
Cheers,
JP

Hi john, does your Sony blu-ray have any display settings you need to go trough?

Cheers darkside

Hi Darkside,
Yes, I've gone through all the settings both on the tv and player. The player has a setting for screen size, and that's set to 47" so I don't know what else to try. Of course, it could just be the way the disc has been mastered. It's the only 3D one I've got so far.
Cheers
John

Hi Darkside,
Yes, I've gone through all the settings both on the tv and player. The player has a setting for screen size, and that's set to 47" so I don't know what else to try. Of course, it could just be the way the disc has been mastered. It's the only 3D one I've got so far.
Cheers
John

If it is only a narrow black line all round. Are you sure this is not the black screen sealant line. This may be more noticeable in 3D than 2D. Try viewing BR in 2D with glasses on ie change TV to 2D.
I have a narrow black line all around in 3D 2D and normal TV. Which I only notice if looking for it.Probably because edge is silver not black.

Last edited:
If it is only a narrow black line all round. Are you sure this is not the black screen sealant line. This may be more noticeable in 3D than 2D. Try viewing BR in 2D with glasses on ie change TV to 2D.
I have a narrow black line all around in 3D 2D and normal TV. Which I only notice if looking for it.Probably because edge is silver not black.

Hi Flippence,
No, it's not that. I'm watching Hugo now in 3d and have a border of about 1cm all the way round. On the tv the screen edges selection is greyed out. If I switch the tv to 2d, the image fills the screen. :confused:
JP

What is users thoughts on the NetApps on this unit.
My initial take is that the Iplayer and YouTube work reasonably. Overall however interface is archaic and apps need improving.

Tend to use the Sony Bluray Apps, which are better and easier to use IMO

What is users thoughts on the NetApps on this unit.
My initial take is that the Iplayer and YouTube work reasonably. Overall however interface is archaic and apps need improving.

Tend to use the Sony Bluray Apps, which are better and easier to use IMO

I agree with you Flippence. For net use I find I'm using either the sky anytime plus service or the net apps on the Sony blu-ray. Having said that, I've not had any real problems with the net services on the tv. It's just that I keep forgetting they're there:)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom