Philips 42PFL7666T Owners Thread

Hi guys, I still have the problem of the tv switching off at odd times of its own choosing, got the auto switch off, to off, but problem raises its head now and again, any help please.

Does the TV tell you it'll be turning off in a certain ammount of time or does it just power off?

And does it go to standby with the red light or completely off?

goes to standby, havent noticed it informing me on screen before hand, allthough not been at the tv when it occurs will ask my son that one, when it happned before it had not been set to the correct setting on the auto switch off, which i rectified with John Pickles help. I thought then that the niggle had been sorted. See earlier post page 5.

goes to standby, havent noticed it informing me on screen before hand, allthough not been at the tv when it occurs will ask my son that one, when it happned before it had not been set to the correct setting on the auto switch off, which i rectified with John Pickles help. I thought then that the niggle had been sorted. See earlier post page 5.

How longer time are we talking here for your TV to turn off?

Go to Preferences and make sure the Sleep Timer is set to OFF, Auto Switch off is set to OFF too.

Pressing the Green button should bring up the options too.

My TV used to switch off when playing 360 for say 4 hours straight, it would come up with a message down the bottom saying "Your TV will turn off in ... mins" I was like it better not! lol But after adjusting the settings it now stays on without any trouble.

I think I read your earlier post and I'm sure John will have said the same, I guess if it still doesn't sort you out then you'll have to be infront of it next time it happens to let us know what it does and how long it'd been on for..

I will be sitting in front of the tv tonight, will let you know my findings later, cheers Olly.

carpinjoy said:

Hi carpinjoy,

Try to install the most recent firmware. I think your standby probem will be gone. Below you can read the changes in the Q5551_0.14.97.0 :

Q5551_0.14.97.0 (Publication date: 2012-04-25)

• TV switches to standby by itself after power on for few minutes.
• TV turns off and on by itself while watching satellite channels. (Only applicable to K-models)
• Corrected Czech OSD translation errors. (Only applicable to K-models)
• The chosen “ON” or “OFF” selection under automatic channel deletion option in the satellite setting
menu is not highlighted. (Only applicable to K-models)
• Unable to access CAM services under [OPTIONS] menu > [Common interface].
• Subtitle menu cannot be opened anymore and P+/P- do not work anymore after you switch
between channels with HbbTV application switched on.

Cheers Darkside

Hi Olly,
I have just recently changed from a Samsung led 40" to the PFL42"7666T/12 and found that I prefer the Philips alot better. Even though the 3D on the Samsung was amazing and gave the full 1080p picture with no blurness unlike some bits on Philips 3D, I still find the passive 3D better than the active 3D.
The only problem I have with the Philips is I find it quite dark. The Samsung was really bright and had a really good deep black. Philips has quite dark colours and like you said, not really a deep black. I've been playing around with the screen but just can't get the bright picture that the Samsung has. At the minute I'm using the 'vivid' setting but on my sky menu (at the bottom of the screen when flicking through the channels) its a really dark orange and blue. Do you know any settings that would get my picture brighter?
Thanks
Andy

Hi Olly,
I have just recently changed from a Samsung led 40" to the PFL42"7666T/12 and found that I prefer the Philips alot better. Even though the 3D on the Samsung was amazing and gave the full 1080p picture with no blurness unlike some bits on Philips 3D, I still find the passive 3D better than the active 3D.
The only problem I have with the Philips is I find it quite dark. The Samsung was really bright and had a really good deep black. Philips has quite dark colours and like you said, not really a deep black. I've been playing around with the screen but just can't get the bright picture that the Samsung has. At the minute I'm using the 'vivid' setting but on my sky menu (at the bottom of the screen when flicking through the channels) its a really dark orange and blue. Do you know any settings that would get my picture brighter?
Thanks
Andy

Well here are my settings and they were considered quite bright by most on here:

Standard Picture
Contrast: 75
Brightness: 50
Colour: 60
Hue: 0
Sharpness: 0
Noise Reduction: Off
Tint: Normal
Pixel Precise HD: Everything in this setting = Off
PC Mode: Off
Light Sensor: Off
Picture Format: Unscaled

Sound is set to Standard.

Ambilight is set to Dynamic.
Dynamic: 10
Brightness: 8
Seperation: Maximum

I personally now turn the "Dynamic Backlight" option within Pixel Precise HD to 'Best Power' which darkens the picture quite alot, if you change it to 'Best Picture' then it'll be brighter for sure.

I also use these settings for gaming on my 360 etc:

Game Picture
Contrast: 90
Brightness: 60
Colour: 65
Hue: 0
Sharpness: 0
Noise Reduction: Off
Tint: Normal
Pixel Precise HD: Everything in this setting = Off
PC Mode: Off
Light Sensor: Off
Picture Format: Unscaled

I leave my Sky Box settings to normal, you really shouldn't need it any brighter than those settings, people told me mine were too bright :thumbsup:

I use Pixel HD Brightness to Best Picture and Contrast to Medium.
Also Light Sensor to On
This to me increase brightness of Picture, Deeper Blacks . Also an increased range of colours.
The HDFlatPanel review mentioned earlier has a good setup. To which above added.

Last edited:
its taken me a while, but I am quite happy now

sky box is set to 1080i and goes via my Yamaha av receiver with scaling disabled.

the tv is set as follows

(from home/setup,tvsettings)

smart picture is set to standard
contrast 81
brightness 60
colour 55
sharpness 4
noise reduction minimum
tint, normal

pixel precise hd settings
hd natural motion, minimum
clear lcd, off
super resolution, off
dynamic contrast, minimum
dynamic backlight, off
mpeg artefact reduction, minimum
colour enhancement, minimum
gamma, 2

rest of settings

light sensor, off (but undecided)
picture format, unscaled

see what you think.

for blu ray/dvd s I leave as above and adjust within my oppo player,moften for example setting zoom at x1.2 which fills screen nicely on many movies without stretch and with only a little crop of edges.

Cheers peeps. Just had a play around and got it the best I can. Must admit that the Samsungs picture was brighter but I prefer the Philips with the ambilight and passive 3d. What do you think of the hd natural motion. A lot of people don't like it but it's grew on me. I prefer the minimal setting, think it makes the viewing a lot cooler. I like the way you can have different settings for different devices as well. Overall it's a decent tv and would recommend it to anyone. If anyone knows of any other cool features it has, let me know please.
Andy

Just had a play around and got it the best I can. Must admit that the Samsungs picture was brighter but I prefer the Philips with the ambilight and passive 3d.

Out of interest, what settings did you settle on in the end? I'm getting this TV (47" 7666) - it's arriving on Thursday - and will need to play around with the settings (thanks to the others who've posted their's).

By the way, which Samsung LED did you switch from? I looked very seriously at a UE46D7000 because of the quality of the 2D picture, especially the blacks, and I'm still hoping I've made the right decision with the 7666. Was the the passive 3D the main reason you went with this TV?

Cheers,

L.

Out of interest, what settings did you settle on in the end? I'm getting this TV (47" 7666) - it's arriving on Thursday - and will need to play around with the settings (thanks to the others who've posted their's).

By the way, which Samsung LED did you switch from? I looked very seriously at a UE46D7000 because of the quality of the 2D picture, especially the blacks, and I'm still hoping I've made the right decision with the 7666. Was the the passive 3D the main reason you went with this TV?

Cheers,

L.
My settings are

Smart Picture - Vivid
Contrast - 100
Brightness - 70
Colour 70
Sharpness - 6
Noise reduction - Off
Tint - Warm
HD natural motion - Minimum
Clear LCD - On
Super Resolution - On
Dynamic Contrast - Maximum
Dynamic Backlight - Best picture
MPEG - Maximum
Colour Enhancement - Maximum
Gamma - 0

Let me know what you think about the Natural motion. I quite like it but i know theres loads that dont. I think thats the samsung i had but a 40"
I had the Samsung but it had a chip in the screen, i kept it for a week till they got more in stock but it turned out that they werent sure when they were getting them so swapped it for the philips for the time being. Decided to keep the philips though.
From day 1 i thought the samsung was amazing, i liked the brightness and darkness of it all. 3D was wicked, everything proper popped out and still never lost the picture quality. It has a really small border so the tv actually looked smaller than a 40" but it looked smart. Really nice tv but, 3D glasses were a pain in the arse, had to set them up with the tv, switch them on and off to use them and they even switched off during the film and plus they were heavy on the nose, especially for my kids, they couldnt keep them on for very long.
My partner and relatives didnt really like the bright screen, they said it was too bright so i suppose its what you like really.
As soon as i put my philips on the wall i liked it, Ambilight looks good, i like the silver border, 42" is the better size for my room than the small looking 40" can set other devices up, eg, ive set my ps3 up to it so when my ps3 is turned on it automatically changes the channel to the ps3 and when turned off it goes back to my sky (which is a big deal to me as i cant be bothered to keep flicking through the hdmi ports to get to it. lol) 3D is alot quicker to set up on the philips, especially using the glasses, ok it aint as good as the samsungs picture but everything does pop out and the picture is fairly good.
overall me and the mrs found the philips a better tv for us than the samsung, PLUS nothing beats sitting in the dark watching a film with the ambilight lighting up your wall :eek:)
Samsung is a nice tv, Philips is a nicer tv. I'm sure you'll enjoy your new philips tv and not even think about swapping it for a samsung once youve switched it on.

Enjoy

Andy :thumbsup:

Cormack1985 said:
My settings are

Smart Picture - Vivid
Contrast - 100
Brightness - 70
Colour 70
Sharpness - 6
Noise reduction - Off
Tint - Warm
Clear LCD - On
Super Resolution - On
MPEG - Maximum
Gamma - 0

Andy :thumbsup:

Wow.. That's some really bright settings :) Do you use them for night time viewing as well?
John

Wow.. That's some really bright settings :) Do you use them for night time viewing as well?
John

It's not as bright as it sounds :laugh: I just can't stand dark tvs, I like the colours to be bright and to be honest I think the black is deeper with these settings. Was more grey before. These settings are ideal for my ps3. On some dark films I turn down the contrast a little like on The Woman In Black and stuff but that's about it :)

My inner coward would be worried about screen burn and / or image retention running contrast and brightness that high :)

It isn't as bright as it seems. I've not really changed the settings much, the settings I've got are the vivid settings. All I've done is put the brightness up abit and put the colour down to 70. Like I say it's perfect for me :)

Cormack1985 said:
It isn't as bright as it seems. I've not really changed the settings much, the settings I've got are the vivid settings. All I've done is put the brightness up abit and put the colour down to 70. Like I say it's perfect for me :)

I must admit, I'm trying your settings out now watching a standard def DVD. I like it.

My settings are

Smart Picture - Vivid
Contrast - 100
Brightness - 70
Colour 70
Sharpness - 6
Noise reduction - Off
Tint - Warm
Clear LCD - On
Super Resolution - On
MPEG - Maximum
Gamma - 0

Let me know what you think about the Natural motion.

Thanks for those. TV arrived today (47PFL7666T). This is a very nice TV :D. Natural motion on minimum does work well, gives the picture a nice stability but not too "soap opera". I'm using a darker setting than you at the moment, but will play around with the settings.

For anyone interested, here are my first impressions: Freeview is really good on this TV, even SD - spent the last 10 minutes on BBC 1 SD sitting just over 2 meters away (Planet Earth Live) and it looks pretty decent. HD is great. This TV seems to have some pretty decent 2D image processing. I think the Natural motion on minimum really helps here.

Played motorstorm apocalypse in 3D on the PS3 (sitting 2.5-3m away), looks really, really good and plays really well in 3D :D. Used RealD (cinema) glasses. Passive is definitely the way to go for 3D IMHO (you do see a bit of aliasing, but doesn't bother me at all). It looks like with 3D gaming it's important not to sit too close.

So far, very happy; just going to play around with the settings a bit more...

L.

Has anyone worked out how to get the 'red button' services on freeview? Pressing the red button on the remote brings up the demo menu options. Any suggestions?
On my 7666 as long as press red button is on screen enters correctly to services. Otherwise goes to demo services as above.

Thanks Flippance, thought it was just me. Question is then, how do you access teletext if the red button isn't on screen? Seems like a bit of an oversight. Or am I missing something obvious?

John Pickles said:
Question is then, how do you access teletext if the red button isn't on screen?

You'll get teletext on BBC1 and BBC2 by pressing the text button.

JayCee said:
You'll get teletext on BBC1 and BBC2 by pressing the text button.

Do you mean the button at the bottom of the remote saying 'text' ? Tried that and all I get is a message saying no text available. It's as if the text button is trying to access the old fashioned analogue text services.

Do you mean the button at the bottom of the remote saying 'text' ? Tried that and all I get is a message saying no text available. It's as if the text button is trying to access the old fashioned analogue text services.

Try this

In BBC1 or 2 Press Text button then enter 500 unit will search. when white window vanishes Press Text back to picture. Then press Text again.
In channel 3 as above except 300 for 500.
Let me know what happens

http://www.avforums.com/forums/digital-tv-switchover-uk/1216318-vanishing-teletext.html

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom