Philips 42PFL7666T Owners Thread

Xstyle

The 50" Kuro in my bedroom, but was on a pedestal, so further forward than the ideal position of on the wall!!

The chest of drawers is now also against the wall tight against the cupboard.
I reiterate, the TV WILL be going on the wall... :)

481x.jpg

Olly C

Distinguished Member
I've updated my original post with regards to 3D viewing as I was a dummy and hadn't applied the output settings correctly, read here for the lastest:

3D Viewing:

My previous experience was with the Sharp LE831 Active 3D TV, the 3D on that really popped out and looked rich and detailed, but with some text especially white text there was some minor crosstalk, also for any extended viewing you really notice the Active glasses, either the weight or your eyes feel a little tired or something?

Trying out the 3D on this Passive set [-]and it definately seems to have less pop than on the Sharps Active, but[/-] its by far more comfortable, my only 3D inputs have been Sky HD 3D broadcasts and Wipeout HD on PS3 [-]but watching the same content on both sets and the Sharp delivers a much more punchy 3D experience,[/-] I personally prefer the Passive option, watching Avatar 3D on Sky HD and it looks great, my family were really impressed, I prefer watching Football in 3D Passively too as its less of a strain on your eyes but I found that Safari Adventures on Sky 3D was a bit better on the Sharp.

Update on 3D Viewing!!

I only briefly tried out Wipeout HD in 3D on the Philips TV and only going back to it I found out why I felt it has less pop/depth than when I was playing on the Sharp, this is going to sound stupid but when you start up the game it told me that 3D viewing was possible and would I like to switch it on to which I selected 'Yes' when I checked the 'Adjust' button on the TV settings to go and select how the 3D originated it was crossed out so I assumed that it was because the TV had auto selected what ever the PS3 was doing and chose the option for me.

So when I started playing Wipeout I was thinking 'hmm the 3D effect is nowhere near as popped out in Passive as it was on the Active Sharp set' even when taking my glasses off the picture seemed very normal instead of super blurry. I usually take this as an indication of a poor 3D picture as in some 3D films you can lift the glasses and theres almost no blur to the picture at points but when it gets to a good 3D bit obviously the image is split further making the picture very blurred without glasses and then the image pops really well once you put the glasses on.

Going back to playing Wipeout HD today and I thought I'd just check the options again, load the game up, the PS3 ask's whether I'd like to output in 3D so I select 'Yes' the picture goes off and on again and I think thats it its now in 3D. I check the 3D tab option and like usual its crossed out, but the 2D/3D option next to it isn't crossed out, usually this is for making a program shown on Sky 3D for instance output in 2D instead of 3D and just converts the image from 3D to 2D incase you don't want to watch it in 3D.

BUT this time the option selected is 2D and the one below is 3D :suicide: I change it down to output in 3D and BOOM! the picture pops out of the screen just as good as it did on the old Sharp setup :thumbsup:

Just played through a few races now and its fantastic, much more comfortable as usual with the Passive glasses and yet still loads of pop and a great 3D effect with no eye strain from long periods of play :love:

flippence

Looking at the sizes, I make out that the 42" Philiips (96cm wide) is just 8cm wider than the 37" Philips (88cm wide), and both are 60cm high?

so 42" is 8cm wider, and 5cm higher than the 37".
Thats not much is it??

Unit will be 10" narrower than the Kuro and narrower than the drawer unit it would appear.
I would definitely go for 42" unit. Also, with its setup position, if viewed in a low light situation; I would demo the new 50 range of panasonic plasma as well.
To me low/no light is better suited to Plasma. Others here may disagree.
That is not to criticise in anyway the Philips unit

Xstyle

I went to JL today, and I saw the 37 and 42 Philips PFL7666T. £700 and £900 respectively. However Richer Sounds have the 42" for £700, so they are the same price for both models, as JL will price match, and you get the 5 year warranty. Only a few left in stock!!

I liked the Philips!! Obviously it needed adjusting, but I could see just the way it was that it was a fine set.
42" looks way classier than the 37", due to the larger screen with the same size bezel.
The passive 3D is awesome!

The other set that looked good was the Panny 42ET5B, again passive 3D LED TV, like the Phillips. Great PQ, but will that last?? Can Panny be trusted now, even if little niggles? £900.
Good reviews here, and as I say, I did like it too:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/3d-t...asonics-new-passive-et5-series-3d-hdtv-5.html

Olly C

Distinguished Member
I went to JL today, and I saw the 37 and 42 Philips PFL7666T. £700 and £900 respectively. However Richer Sounds have the 42" for £700, so they are the same price for both models, as JL will price match, and you get the 5 year warranty. Only a few left in stock!!

Cheers dude! I've just fired off an after sales price-match to John Lewis against Richer Sounds as they have the 42" version instock where I live, that may save me an extra £70 on the price I originally paid! :clap:

What will John Lewis do about the fact that Richer Sounds also offer 2x aditional glasses in the deal with a claimed RRP of £30?

Also another 3D Viewing update:

Today I watched Forgotten Planet 3D on the Sky 3D channel and it was fantastic, every bit of the program had loads of pop and depth, really cool program as well very interesting and I'd say enhanced in 3D for sure, definately check it out if you have Sky+HD.

Xstyle

Xstyle said:
Olly,

What do you make of the standard def 2D material?
Again mentioned here, esp noise and "milky" blacks:
Philips 42PFL7666 review - TV - Trusted Reviews

Well... I bought it today!
Paid JL £900, they will check stock with Richer Sounds then refund me £200. (I did give them a print out from their website too)
If I don't like it, for whatever reason, will opt for the Panasonic 42ET5B, same LG LED panel screen with 3D Passive, at £900.

:)

Olly C

Distinguished Member
Paid JL £900, they will check stock with Richer Sounds then refund me £200. (I did give them a print out from their website too)
If I don't like it, for whatever reason, will opt for the Panasonic 42ET5B, same LG LED panel screen with 3D Passive, at £900.

Cool, I hope you enjoy this TV, Sorry I didn't manage to get back to you regarding the SD material or aparent 'milky' blacks, I very rarely watch any SD content these days, I don't like the look of it on any set I've seen :p

I've set my Dynamic Backlight to 'Best Power' in Pixel Precise HD, coupled with my quite bright standard picture settings it works very well for blacks and colours in general I find, the rest of my settings within Pixel Precise HD are still off currently.

Xstyle

I didn't want to pay too much, and if truth be told, even £700 is too much for occasional use in the bedroom...

(I'm sure before bed now, my wife will watch tele there...!!)

Oh, I also asked for the 2 extra pairs of 3D glasses, so 4 in total.

Delivery next week... Exciting times!!!
I've never made a decision this quick before!!!! Normally deliberate forever...

Last edited:

Venu44

Novice Member
Don't fret, it's a great tv for the money mate.

You could get hit by a bus tomorrow so why worry ? :)

With regards SD content, it always looks terrible to me now I've lived off a diet of blu ray and Sky HD. Regardless what tv I watch.

SD only looks acceptable on a 32" CRT television to me.

You can't polish a turd as they say, but modern tv's can roll a turd in glitter.

carpinjoy

Standard Member
Ok, got the tv all set up now, used your settings to start off with olly, then just the odd tweak. I asked Sky for another hd box as I have one in another room with a HD sony tv, they tried to hit me for £199.00 for an additional box. Kicked some ass and got it for £40.00, just got to buy 3d blu ray now. I will keep all up to date when everything is up and running.

upallnight

I decided the clouding on mine was too annoying and its being picked up tomorrow for a refund
But now its back in the box I'm really missing it and the ambilight and 3d was really great !
Put me in two minds again as i was gonna just for for a panny gt50 going by the reviews etc
Really don't want to risk the hassle of having another one with clouding and having to return , but its in a box next to me winking away lol:D
decisions ......

Anyone ever returned a tv for the same issue and got a replacement that was better?

Xstyle

leighprice23 said:
I decided the clouding on mine was too annoying and its being picked up tomorrow for a refund
But now its back in the box I'm really missing it and the ambilight and 3d was really great !
Put me in two minds again as i was gonna just for for a panny gt50 going by the reviews etc
Really don't want to risk the hassle of having another one with clouding and having to return , but its in a box next to me winking away lol:D
decisions ......

Anyone ever returned a tv for the same issue and got a replacement that was better?

Get a 2nd set, and if it's the same, then you know!

Xstyle

Xstyle said:

JL said they can't price match Richer Sounds as its a discontinued model, plus RS say they can't guarantee the stock is new, maybe returned goods.

I think they are saying that to JL so that customers go to RS to buy the remaining stock. Looks like I will be cancelling with JL, as £200 is too huge price difference!
Not happy :(

Olly C

Distinguished Member
JL said they can't price match Richer Sounds as its a discontinued model, plus RS say they can't guarantee the stock is new, maybe returned goods.

I think they are saying that to JL so that customers go to RS to buy the remaining stock. Looks like I will be cancelling with JL, as £200 is too huge price difference!
Not happy :(

Sorry to hear that :(

Where abouts do you live exactly? (Don't post it in here just consider when looking for branches)

I also had an e-mail today saying that my local store was not able to be price matched as the model left was an ex-display one, I then went ahead and called them up to say that another store "near" to me (60+ Miles but still in the East) had 4 instock and that they couldn't all be ex-display, they passed it onto the Price Match Team to give me a call back.

They called back just now after around half an hour of checking things and managed to find a store with 1 ex-display and 1 brand new TV still instock that was right on my "local" limit for Price Matching (48 miles I think they said)

Anyways the guy said he was happy to match the price and organise refunding the money asap, I also asked about the extra 2 pairs of glasses and he said that only one of the stores he rang had that offer (whilst stocks last) and that was offered as the unit was ex-display so he was unfortunately not able to add those into the deal too.

Eitherway I'm really happy with the result so a big thanks to Xstyle :thumbsup:

I just hope that maybe you manage to reach a simular conclusion?

Barrovian

John Pickles said:
My 47pfl7666 arrives today. Fingers crossed it's a good 'un :)

Tv arrived bright and early yesterday (thanks JL)
Got it set up with minimal fuss. First impressions are 'wow!'
Super picture, blows my previous 46pfl7605 out of the water. Game of thrones on sky hd was pretty unwatchable on the old set. All washed out and full of noise. Steady as a rock and blacker than a black thing on the 7666. Blacks seem to hold up well even in dim room light conditions. No obvious light bleed or clouding noted so far either.
Had a quick look at sky3d, even though I wasn't too fussed about 3d but very surprised as to how good it was. Even swmbo agreed. Guess a 3d blu ray is next on the list.
Still playing with picture settings so no decisions yet as to my picture preferences. Anyone care to share their settings.?

All in all, very pleased so far. Thanks olly c for starting the thread and bringing us all together to share our views.

John

Xstyle

Olly C said:
I also had an e-mail today saying that my local store was not able to be price matched as the model left was an ex-display one, I then went ahead and called them up to say that another store "near" to me (60+ Miles but still in the East) had 4 instock and that they couldn't all be ex-display, they passed it onto the Price Match Team to give me a call back.

They called back just now after around half an hour of checking things and managed to find a store with 1 ex-display and 1 brand new TV still instock that was right on my "local" limit for Price Matching (48 miles I think they said)

I have just phoned them back and told them of 4 stores close by that have new stock in boxes.
The price match team only work Mon to Fri, so I should get a call on Monday. Otherwise I will take it further.

Last edited:

Olly C

Distinguished Member
I have just phoned them back and told them of 4 stores close by that have new stock in boxes.
The price match team only work Mon to Fri, so I should get a call on Monday. Otherwise I will take it further.

Nice, lets hope they sort you out :thumbsup:

trebor611

For what it's worth, I thought I'd post some thoughts on the 47PFL7606 that I bought about two months ago, which I assume is very similar to the 7666 (I think I read somewhere that the difference might be that the 7666 has slight better, more powerful speakers).

Apologies if I'm repeating information that has already been posted, because I haven't read through every post in the thread.

Appearance
Not much to say, you can make up your own mind about this, but personally I think it's a gorgeous looking TV. The frame and stand have a brushed metal look, its actually a hardened plastic but you can barely tell and overall the TV has a really solid build quality to it and is really classy looking in my opinion. Bear in mind that my model is 7606, so the look of the 7666 may be different, but I'm sure its no less impressive.

Also, its worth mentioning the panel reflectivity. I'm baffled as to why this doesn't get mentioned more in reviews or forums. I personally find the reflective coated screens that most manufacturers produce today incredibly distracting. Apperently it adds to the contrast and 'pop' of the image, and maybe it does, but I think that any advantages gained there are massively outweighed by seeing great big reflections on the screen while watching it. My TV is right beside a big enough window though, so it would affect me maybe more than others. In any case, I'm coming from a Sony 40D3000 with a completely matte screen, so I spent some time looking for a screen with at least reduced reflectivity and glare. The 7606 does have a reflective panel, but not so much when compared to the likes of Samsung panels et al.

At a distance of about 3 to 4 meters in a brightly lit room, the panel does reflect but the reflections are blurred so its not exactly like a mirror, but the closer you get, the more reflective it becomes. Overall, I'd say its a reasonably good compromise. Sure, it'd be nicer if it was even less reflective, or a completely matte screen, but I think its fine in a brightly lit room.

Ambilight
Ambilight is brilliant. I reckoned it was a gimmick that I wouldn't be paying too much attention to, but I love it, and it's got a great range of customization options. You can modify how aggressively the light changes with the picture, the intensity or brightness and match the light color to the color of your wall (this color is used when parts of the screen are black or dark). There's even a lounge light mode that lets you pick from preset dynamically changing color patterns that can be used for mood lighting with the TV is switched off (haven't had a practical reason to use it, but still, its a nice idea, and it looks cool).

Picture Quality
I can't say much about color reproduction and accuracies, since it's not a major concern for me. Suffice it to say that I think the colors produced by this TV are gorgeous. It's a definite upgrade from the previous Sony TV that I had, and the colors are much more vivid (I'm using the calibrated color settings from this review).

Black levels are a bit of a problem, as has probably already been mentioned on this thread. With the brightness and contrast at reasonable levels (51 and 58 respectively in a dark room - with [Dynamic Backlight] set to off), the blacks are kinda milky. I watched a movie with good few dark scenes in it with these settings and, to be honest, I was not impressed. The old Sony had something like a reported black measurement of 0.1 cd/m if I remember right, and this is reported as being at about 0.13 after calibration. I think it's quite poor for a mid-range TV these days to be producing something like this, but I can only assume that there was trade-offs to be had using this IPS panel in order to do what they wanted to do with the passive 3D technology in the TV, and maybe they were more concerned with wider viewing angles that these panels supposedly have (viewing angles are OK, but nothing revolutionary, I wouldn't stray too far from dead centre if I was you).
As always, in a bright enough room, whether it's lights turned on or daylight, black levels will not be an issue, I only found this a concern when I watched it in a completely darkened room. The Ambilight helps too (which is one of the reasons its there, reduce eye strain in a dark room and improve percieved contrast and black levels too, which it does do somewhat).

There is another factor. This TV does not have backlight control (which I'm baffled by - if anyone is aware of any way to get access to controlling the backlight, even from the service menu, let me know) which would probably help out a lot. However, it does a [Dynamic Backlight] option. There's 3 settings not including Off, 2 of which seem, to my untrained eye anyway, to be completely ineffectual. One of the settings, [Best Power], does some aggressive changing of the backlight brightness depending on what's on the screen. I don't mean aggressive in a bad way. It's very quick to change the brightness levels when the image changes. Either that, or it's very subtle, like a smooth gradation so as not to be too distracting, but either way its effective. There are *some* occasions when I do notice the change in brightness, such as when the image changes from a very bright to very dark scene, and the brightness drops dramatically keep the blacks acceptable. I wouldn't say its distracting, but noticeable.

The pay-off for using this setting means that the blacks are at a 'decent' level while "watching in a darkened room". I'm not sure what else to say, I think you'll just have to get hold of the TV yourself in a practical viewing environment to judge for yourself. It really depends on how sensitive to this you are. It should also be noted that the color reproduction will 'apparently' suffer from this backlight changing since the gamma will be out of whack, so cinefiles will probably faint at the thought of using this setting, but as mentioned, color reproduction is not super important to me, and I honestly cant see any issues with color using the dynamic backlight.

That's really what I wanted to talk about, but here's some quick notes on some other aspects of the TV:

Screen Uniformity
Yes, I do have some mild clouding in the top right and top left (not so much) of the screen. It's really only noticeable in a dark room (as usual), the ambilight helps, and I wouldn't consider it a major concern, but this is not really of any use to you. Suffice it to say that this TV (like almost every other LED LCD out there) is susceptible to clouding.

Speakers
The speakers on this TV are the hidden, down-firing kind. You get what you expect really, but I'm still using them (no dedicated sound system) and they're surprisingly good for what they are. I think there of better quality than what you would find in Samsung TVs that I've seen (which wouldn't be difficult). The bottom line is, they're definitely useable, but if you want more punch get a dedicated system. Also, remember that this is the 7606 I'm talking about, and as I mentioned, (one of?) the differences may be that the speakers are of better quality in the 7666.

PC
I have my HTPC hooked up to the TV, so I don't bother with the multimedia features, and cant really comment on them. The same goes for the USB playback since I watch movies through my PC, but I can say one thing about that. I tried (just for the hell of it) to watch some movies from a USB drive. The supported file formats are nice, the TV will play MKV files (and a bevy of others ones too) but it will NOT playback DTS encoded files. You'll have to convert the files to AAC. Other than that, there didn't seem to be any problems. I haven't tried the USB recording feature.
Hooking the TV up to my PC was not particularly pleasant. I'm using HDMI to connect, and the picture would not scale properly (with the [Unscaled] option turned On). I tried all HDMI ports, even the VGA, and they all produced an underscaled, blurry resolution on the TV that did not look like 1080p (although the PC claimed it was). Long story short, I eventually updated the Catalyst Control Centre (for ATI cards) and using that, I set overscan to maximum (+15%) and that got the resolution on the TV displaying correctly. It's now nice and sharp, and it looks how I would expect it too.
Incidentally, I'm using an ATI Radeon HD4550. I also tried my laptop and initially had the same resolution problem, and thats also using an ATI Radeon card, so it's possibly an issue with these card types.

3D
I haven't got time to say much about the 3D right now, but I think it's great, and if anyone wants me to comment more about it, I will. Just ask yourself how much time exactly you think your going to spend watching 3D content, its probably going to be very little. Given that, I'd recommend it, it's very easy on the eyes, and the 3D effect is impressive, but thats also dependent on the content.

The Philips PFL7606 does have 2D -> 3D conversion, but I haven't tried this feature yet. I'll post more when I know what its like.

Hope it helps!

Olly C

Distinguished Member
The Philips PFL7606 does have 2D -> 3D conversion, but I haven't tried this feature yet. I'll post more when I know what its like.

Cheers for your input to the thread :thumbsup:

Just to mention though you've quoted that this model has 2D to 3D conversion, it actually doesnt, it does however have 3D to 2D conversion which can be used for viewing a program recorded on Sky 3D Side by Side and converting the image to 2D.

Xstyle

trebor611 said:
For what it's worth, I thought I'd post some thoughts on the 47PFL7606 that I bought about two months ago, which I assume is very similar to the 7666 ...

Thanks for your thorough review.
In summary, would you still buy it?
Have you seen anything better for the same money? (give or take 20%)

darkside44

Standard Member
Hi guys,

I received my 47pfl7656 on friday. Didn't have chance to play with it until today. I ordered the tv from a dutch website and it was delivered on friday at my home in belgium.
The setup was smooth.
I connected a sat receiver and a dvb-c hd settop-box from belgium cableprovider Telenet.
I used the builtin tuner of tv also. When i did install the channels on the tv, there where only analog channels. On the cable there are also freeview digital channels. On the website tik.be i found a solution, just had to change the country of tuner search to Sweden. The search found not only the freeview but also the scrambled channels. So my channel list was mixed with analog dvb-c freeview and scrambled channels. I've decided to put the freeview digital and analog channels into the favourites channel list. This was a good solution.
However i keep losing the analog channels in my favourites list when i switch off the tv.
After 3 retries i would like to ask if someone has a solution for this a annoying problem?

Further on i implemented the settings from flatpanelhd. I could find R, G, B Gain on settings of color. Does someone know how to get these?
Is there some hidden service menu on this series 76x6?
Sorry for any typo, did this on my iphone.

See ya over the channel,
Darkside

carpinjoy

Standard Member
I think when Olly posts he will be able to help you Darkside44, I have a slight problem myself with my 7606 it keeps going into sleep mode after 5-6 hours, it gives a message on screen a few minuets before shut down. I cant seem to find anywhere to stop this happening and I suppose it is there for a reason, but I want to choose when to turn the tv off, not the tv choose for me:confused:. Anyone help needed.

The latest video from AVForums

Toy Stories - Turning Toys into Blockbuster Movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 4th August 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
KEF adds Ci160ES to Architectural Speaker range
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Hisense increases Laser TV sales following Euros
  • By Andy Bassett