Philips 42PFL7662D calling all the owners..

Discussion in 'Philips TVs Forum' started by Full Throttle, Sep 18, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Full Throttle

Full Throttle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have recently purchased 42PFL7662D/12 LCD Tv set. I was wondering of with what settings you guys are using your sets with?

I am mainly using my set for PS3 and Blueray movies and looking for best settings possible for the eyecandy...so please lets share our "complete settings" under this post.:thumbsup:

Please include eveything from Brigthness, Contrast, contrast+, active control, rich, multimedia, personal,.....so on..:confused:

Thanks in advance for every contributor.:hiya:

2. ChrisGgr

ChrisGgr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,499
    Hi,not an owner but could you write something like a review of it?HD tv test didnt rate it high,so whats your opinion?

3. Full Throttle

Full Throttle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok here it goes.

First off, this is my first LCD( except the one I use for my computer Samsung 226BW), so do not expect too much technical.

This particular TV set was chosen among 2 other sets( Sansung 40M87BD and Sharp 42XD1). Samsung was ok but the colors were too artificial for me, in other words colors screamed at my face no mater what setting we put the Panel colors were not naturel, they seemed like overcolored if you know what I mean, not naturel. Also the Clear Panel thing turned me off due to reflection. By the way all sets were connected to seperate HD playing sources, this way I had a better testing environment. Shapr on the other hand was very impressive, it had higher contrast ratios than Philips. But the downside was the price tag on it, it just was not wort the extra price tag for contrast ratio. So I settled for Philips for a nice price tag.

Let us make some points clear before we go any further.

1- This TV set actually supports HDMI v1.3( according to Philips Tecnical response, asked by a reviwing site)
    2- This TV set again supports 1080p/24 frames (according to Philips Tecnical response, asked by a reviwing site)
    3- And yes it is FULL HD 1080p(progressive)

Ok on to my personel review.

Firs things first, I am not very pleased with the SD Broadcast performance of this panel, but after some research I found out that many FULL HD panels suffer from this phenomena( after some tweaking to settings I was able to get an acceptable SD Quality) I use Digital Satellite receiver and some channels are really pixelated if you watch the set real close, so at least 3-4meters away pixelation becomes less visible to eye. But some channels are really good you can hardly notice this pixellation thing. In this departmeny I am still voting for Plasma screens for their superior quality at SD Broadcasts.

Onto the HD Thing....

Since there are no HD Broadcasts available where I live, I am not able to comment on this issue, but during sometime in 2008, we will have HD terrestial broadcasts. Oh yes.. I do not have an HD Sat. Receiver either. So in this department my comments will only include Blueray experiences. As expected Bleray movies are lifelike, like the actor will come out of the screen and slap you in the face kind of thing. So no-problems with the 1080p films at all..very crisp and very very vivid.

As for the PS3 gaming, set accepts and plays 1080p games flawlessly, again crisp, and sharp quality.

This set pleased me up right out of the box folks no questions about it. But like I said I am no expert so is an avarage Joe.

There are mainly 2 things I am not pleased with:

1- SD Quality...Even a 72cm CRT is better picture...
    2- 2- THE DAMN REMOTE CONTROL, ....man it looks and feels sooo cheap, you expect better with a 42” LCD....
    3- I may also add the minor baclight bleeding( which is common for LCDS I guess) but it is not bothering me too much.

All and all it is a very nice LCD TV for an everyday man like myself, it is a good starting point for Full HD in my honest opinion, yes there are panels out there with tons more specs than this and tons more money than this but , for the price you can not beat it.

So I am waiting for your settings....let'em roll...

Thanks.

4. Full Throttle

Full Throttle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Doesn't aynbody else on this forum have one of this set?

C'mon...

5. pj86

pj86
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I recently got this set and LOVE it, apart from one minor issue that is bugging me....

I can't seem to turn the auto brightness off... its really starting to bug me now, does anyone know how to do this?

6. Full Throttle

Full Throttle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Have you tried disabling the "active control" setting?

regards.

7. pj86

pj86
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ye I've tried that but it doesn't seem to work...

how do you do it from the service menu?

8. Full Throttle

Full Throttle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are 2 setting on your standart menu(not service menu, I have no idea how to get in to the service menu if there is one)

1- Contrast+(try disabling it)
    2- Active control(disable this as well)

see if it helps, if not ring your local service to see what they have to say about this.

cheers.