• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Philips 42PFL7603D Does anyone know what the best HD settings are?

samlosco

Standard Member
Hi there,
I'm racking my brain trying to pick the best picture settings for my
Philips
42PFL7603D

(e.g. contrast, brightness, amber light etc)

Can anyone help with what setting to set too inorder to get the best out the TV.

I've currently got the amber light on relaxed and the picture seems grainy big time. can anyone help .... my SKY HD is getting delivered tomorrow

Last edited:

PAPPACLART

It's up to the viewer, my fav settings may not be equally as nice to your eye etc.

I do like a vibrant picture tho am still playing with the settings. The picture settings should be played with dependent on what type of video you are watching, and from what source. If you want settings for HD stuff, then you may want to mess with them if you are watching Planet Earth vs Batman on BR etc.

I tend to like a Vivid HD experience, although not realistic, it is mosyl pleasing to my eye. I have changed the smart settings to Vivid, but have taken the contrast down from 100 to 70, 100 is just too much. HD natral motion I set on minimum or off, make sure noise reduction and MPEG arc is switch off for any HD material, and leave the sharpness at 5.

For a more realistic movie experience, just choose movie mode, but up the sharpness to 5 from 3.

FYI, HD natrual motion tends to blur video if moving fast.

I am not an expert, those are setting what I like, but I am still messing, and each setting seems to work different depending on what HD content you are watching.

Just keep messing and get a set up that you your eyes like.

samlosco

Standard Member
Thanks for that mate, I'm startin to get to grip of the Philips 42PFL7603D LCD as its been a few months playing with it, so I'll list my settings that I'm comfortable with after hours and hours and hours of fiddleing and playing, for the best all picture via sky HD and sky Standard Def channels and the xbox 360 through a standard fully certified HDMI cable.

PICTURE SETTINGS - Philips 42PFL7603D

Contrast 88
Brightness 49
Colour 55
Sharpness 5
Tint Warm
Pixel on
HD Natural Motion Minimum
Dynamic Contrast off
Noise reduction off
MPEG artefact reduction off
Colour enhancement Meduim (but you might prefere minimum)
Active Control on
Light sensor off
Picture Format Widscreen

SOUND SETTINGS
Auto Surround on
Have the surround mode to Stereo if you dont have dolby 5-1 system
equalizer settings are spread out in 5 catergories and after much playing I use. (from left to right)
1st bar set at -1
2nd bar set at 1
3rd bar set at 1
4th bar set at 3
5th bar set at 4

AMBERLIGHT - Just set it to Dynamic at night and off during the day.

Hope this helps, Its took hours and hours and tweeking, playing, experimenting you name it I've done it for 3 months solid so hopefully anyone reading this doesnt have to. Enjoy and it is the best TV I've ever had, I'm not tempted by the sony 100hz just yet as this TV is flawless from where I'm standing and 42inches is perfect for my front room. For me the best selling point is the amberlight set at Dynamic for SKY HD Films at night or Call of Duty on the Xbox

Chris

joe28

Thanks for that mate, I'm startin to get to grip of the Philips 42PFL7603D LCD as its been a few months playing with it, so I'll list my settings that I'm comfortable with after hours and hours and hours of fiddleing and playing, for the best all picture via sky HD and sky Standard Def channels and the xbox 360 through a standard fully certified HDMI cable.

PICTURE SETTINGS - Philips 42PFL7603D

Contrast 88
Brightness 49
Colour 55
Sharpness 5
Tint Warm
Pixel on
HD Natural Motion Minimum
Dynamic Contrast off
Noise reduction off
MPEG artefact reduction off
Colour enhancement Meduim (but you might prefere minimum)
Active Control on
Light sensor off
Picture Format Widscreen

SOUND SETTINGS
Auto Surround on
Have the surround mode to Stereo if you dont have dolby 5-1 system
equalizer settings are spread out in 5 catergories and after much playing I use. (from left to right)
1st bar set at -1
2nd bar set at 1
3rd bar set at 1
4th bar set at 3
5th bar set at 4

AMBERLIGHT - Just set it to Dynamic at night and off during the day.

Hope this helps, Its took hours and hours and tweeking, playing, experimenting you name it I've done it for 3 months solid so hopefully anyone reading this doesnt have to. Enjoy and it is the best TV I've ever had, I'm not tempted by the sony 100hz just yet as this TV is flawless from where I'm standing and 42inches is perfect for my front room. For me the best selling point is the amberlight set at Dynamic for SKY HD Films at night or Call of Duty on the Xbox

Chris

Brilliant post mate and thanks for your settings coz after loads of research im going to get this tv,it sounds great.Can you tell me a few things please ?
1.does it seem to make a difference in the fact that its not 100hz ? I was also looking at the Samsung LE46A656 which has 100hz but still gets worse ratings than the Philips.
2.Ive read that the ambilight on this model can lag a bit,do u find that it does ?
3.Have you experienced any motion blur ?
Im going to be using the tv for sky,ps3 and blu ray and this seems to be the best at the price for all those things,do you agree ?
Thanks again for the settings
Joe

YellowSphere

I would definitely set sharpness to zero for HD, otherwise the edge enhancement will actually be hiding detail within the source and making grain more apparent. I would also turn more or less all of the other processing features to off.

I would choose colour balance warm, and then set Ambilight to colour --> warm white. In addition, picture format should be set to unscaled with 1080 content.

samlosco

Standard Member
The Amberlight is great on this 42 inch LCD Philips TV, Mine is still running brilliantly with the settings I posted a while ago and I appreciate your responses. This Philips Amberlight is amazing and I've recently seen the new 100 hz 50 inch model in belguim and its so much better even though its bigger - the amberlight on dynamic fills the room its that big and the picture is perfection - I'm now saving up for this one.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom