• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Philips 42PFL7562D - should I cancel the order?

dkazaz

Standard Member
Hi :)

I jsut ordered the above TV to use with my Home Theater PC (HDMI output). I would mainly like to use it to watch videos and occasionally as my monitor with windows MCE2005.

The problem is i bought it without much research (it was a good deal).:oops:
The thing is, I just found out that altough its a 1366x1024 panel it will not accept its own resolution as input, leaving me to use 720p and let the set handle handle the scaling. I suspect this will make it very poor for use as a monitor.

So now I'm wondering if I should upgrade to a 1080p model since those accept their own panel resolution as input. I can go to a 42" 1080p model for 400Euros more, or to a 47" for 700 EURO. Its a bit of overkill for me though, since I only have SD sources and don't expect HD for a good couple of years at least.

To be clear, I don't expect to be writing text on it, just to use the MCE interface and look at photos so I may be exagerating. Any advice? Any hooked up a 1366x768 set with a PC at 720p and got any decent results?

Your advice will be appreciated:lease:

ChrisGgr

Distinguished Member
Look,with an 720p tv you will take more than decent results to pc connection.But with 1080p you will have a benefit more!!!(but you will loose on SD).Simply the 1080p will look awesome!!!!!

dkazaz

Standard Member
Good point - since my location is the same as yours (Greece :hiya: ) I probably won't benefit from the 1080p anytime soon. I can't see myself investing in Blueray/HD DVD for a couple of years, and local TV wont go HD for loong time!

Besides I have 1000's of hours of SD content to watch, so if you say the 720p input will be sufficient to use the TV as a PC monitor, maybe I'll save myself the money and stick with this. I'm pretty sure in 2-3 years I'll want to upgrade to a 47" 1080p set and I might as well save the money now;)

ChrisGgr

Distinguished Member
Κι άλλος πατριώτης!!!!!!!Μπές και στο www.avclub.gr για ακόμη περισσότερη βοήθεια!!!Anyway,its better to take an 720p tv!!

dkazaz

Standard Member
Thanks I will. Και είμαι ήδη στο avclub με το ίδιο username!

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom