Philips 42PFL5405 42" LCD Review

mattbenselin

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Well after trawling the internet for what seems like a lifetime, to find a suitable new TV at the right price I have finally found one!

My requirements were:
1080p resolution
Minimum 100hz
Freeview built-in
40-42" Screen with minimal glare
Wall-mountable
£300-£500

Not as many options as you might think within these limits, but there are a few and the one I chose was the Philips 42PFL5405.
There are little to no reviews of this set on the internet which did concern me a little but I thought sod it, I'll buy one and review it for all!

This review is from ordering to set-up to general use analysis.
I ordered the set today from LuzernTech, based in ROI, as a manufacturer refurbished item. This is a Grade-A refurb which means mechanically it is sound but may suffer from minor blemishing to casing or packaging. I just hope it is the latter or at least very minor and unoticeable! I have heard mixed comments about LuzernTech but 99% positive so thought I'd give them a go.
They offer a 3 month warranty with refund on return if not happy or item found to be faulty in any way. This is not as long as I would have liked, but at a cost of £350 I could not argue. If all goes boobs-up (excuse my french) I can return the item at a postage cost of £18ish and buy a new set with 1 year warranty for £420.
All things weighed up, I thought I would give it a go, and cross my fingers (albeit with optimism!).

A few people have asked questions on here about this set but with little info returned of any kind or review of the TV itself or, maybe more importantly in my case; LuzernTech's service and product quality.

All and any comments will be appreciated as I go along, but please hold back negative thoughts until I give them a chance. Delivery is anywhere from 3-23days! Lets hope it's sooner rather than later so I can hoof out my 32" CRT!

Thanks and I hope this is of use, Matt

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Well I emailed LuzernTech yesterday after purchasing the TV about when it would be delivered.
This morning I had a reply stating:

'Hi Matt the TV will ship today from Dublin with GLS and will be with you shortly'

I had asked for a tracking number, so will have to again. However so far they have replied to my emails quite promptly.

Watch this space.

Hi, I've just got this tv, I am curious, how are you getting on with it ? Any good ?

I bought one from Luzern off ebay for about £350 in the end delivered.

Not impressed so far.

Has anyone found ideal settings (by software/hardware calibration) for this LCD?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom