1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 42pf999 review

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by lemke, Nov 29, 2004.

1. lemke

lemke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I see the 42pf9966 mentioned in the new magazine of HomeCinemaChoice on page 72. Is this a review.

Could someone give me/us happy viewers of this Plasma a copy of some sort of this (I think it is) review. The magazine is not available here. :(

Thanks.
    Lem

2. lemke

lemke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yet another review in What Home Cinema Jan. 2005

Come on,
    Can anyone tell us something about this review, or the verdict of this magnificant peace of equipment.

Or are the reviews to good ... for this pany forum!!! :D

Thanks
    Lem

3. Stonedragon

Stonedragon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Lemke,

You did mean the 42PF9966?

I've just bought one on Friday. And believe me, it will knock your socks off. I've just posted a reply to another thread (one that I started on the Philips) so I wont repeat what I said in that thread here.

But I do agree with your observation, sometimes reading through the posts, you wouldn't believe there was any other manufacturer worth considering other than a Panny.

Yes the Pannys are good, but believe it or not there are just as good alternatives :eek:

Go see for yourself and enjoy. If there is anything specific that you want to know, let me know.

4. lemke

lemke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Indeed I mean the 42pf9966
    That's the one I have in my livingroom.

I'm very pleased with it, excellent PQ. And it's not even 1080i. Think I'm gonna buy the denon 2910 with HDMI.

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    It will only support 576 on digital connections guys, and it will do that weird clipping like hitachi and sony on 1080. The DVD player may well be OTT for this one. BTW this forum is not overly Panasonic biased, it's just that they are currently such good value. PQ wise I'd have to differ with you, saw one last week, nothing I could do would make it any better, completely horrid on both sky and analogue. DVD was OK, just a little noisy.

6. Stonedragon

Stonedragon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Lekme,

I dont understand what MAW said about using the Denon with our screen, but if you do manage a demo with the Denon/Philips combo, let us know how you get on, because I was thinking of going down the same route as you.

7. lemke

lemke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sure thing Stonedragon.
    It already has been done. If you speak dutch, checkout this one
    http://www.kieskeurig.be/nl/product.nsf/reviewlist/C66DB9DB2033199DC1256E7600457FB1.htm

MAW, would like to see what you have seen. Me, I've seen both pany and the philips next to each other. Was tempted for the Pany, but still Philips was slightly better. Even now at home, with Cable TV, I have excellent PQ. With DVD even better, not even noise noticable.

It's very weard, so different oppinions. Or the Philips you saw was not good callibrated. I'm a nitpicker, I look also at pixels (I learned to take some distance from the screen :lesson: ). And really do think that the PQ of any plasma is worth that kind of money. But the Philips was one of the best for me.

Greetz

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I'm a profssional installer and system designer. I think the Philips is S**T I'm afraid, can never get the kind of results my customers demand, if you cna make yourself happy good for you. It's certainly not for me.

9. lemke

lemke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    wow, that was a quick one.
    I'm also a designer/architect, even a manager ... but not for Plasma ;)
    You maybe look at it in a more sophistic way. Would like to know where and how you look at it. Pitty it's to far ...

But yes, you're totaly right. This screen pleases me, and my wife, very much. And that's enough, stop looking.

So for everybody, go out and look for yourself !!!

Greetz
    Lem

10. Stonedragon

Stonedragon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Lekme,

I dont know if we live in a different planet from the rest of these guys, because the Philips is an outstanding screen. How anybody could slate it, to such an extent that they call it S*** is beyond me.

For example, my neice who is at university visited me the other day and when she saw the picture (without any prompting from me) the first thing she said was WOW. She then said the picture looked to good :rolleyes: and it was like standing right there in the studio. When we were watching LOTR, same thing again. She said it looked as if the images were painted onto the wall. Now this is from somebody (like most women) who care nothing of our hobby, but she was sufficently taken by the PQ to make an impromptu comment.

I dont get it Lekme, I dont wear glasses and it dosent take an expert to tell whether a picture is grainy, or whether there is lots of jaggies on the edges or whether there is motion blur. The fact is, the Philips does not suffer from any of these problems and if people want to kid themselves that it does, then its there loss.

BTW, I dont understand dutch, so if you could post the gist of the review in your last link, that would be great.

11. lemke

lemke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Same experience here with the PQ here. Got almost the same reactions from my friends ... WOW. I have no grainy picture, no jaggies on the edges and no motion blur what so ever. And I go in detail, if I buy something !!

But who cares. You and I love it, and many people in Belgium and Holland do.

BTW, it are no reviews, only enduser posts with reactions, all stating and confirming the excellent PQ of the Philips and how great the Plasma is.

Have you PP2 enabled. I've not.

Lem

12. lemke

lemke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MAW,

As a professional one, I suppose you keep good track of available systems and read a lot about it. So I think you must be able to let us know how the review was for this system.

If so, please give us a short description and quotation of the review.
    Or is it to good ;)

Thanks in advance.
    Lem.

13. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    reviews are for reading in the toilet. I've never seen one for the Philips, but overall integrated TV plasmas usually do well, panels less well. You've got to remember most of the guys in the rapidly expanding AV mag market are young and impressionable, have little technical knowlege, and are 'journalists' 1st and AV enthusiasts only because they've got a new job, and cos they're mostly boys of course. Journalists are rated as the least trusted professionals in Britain, lower than politicians and lawyers. Why don't you ask your MP for a review?

14. lemke

lemke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hehe, just teasing MAW, but no I had, Yes I could get.
    No mather everybodies opinion, I'm just curious of what they say about the plasma.

and euh ... MP ... what's that?

15. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Member of Parliament. Politician. Slightly more trusted by the british public than jounalists.