1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 42PF9986 ???

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by jackylad, Aug 5, 2004.

1. jackylad

jackylad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I've been looking at the Philips 42PF9986 LCD. Does anyone have one of these and could let me know how well they perform with a PC input.

I'm months in to researching into what screen to get that would be future proof (Hi Def etc) and work really well from a Media Center PC with a DVI output. I haven't found the Media Center PC yet either, so any suggestions would be really appreciated!

A few posts are saying it's a minefield, I couldn't agree more! I'm going to really hit the drink soon if I don't get a system bought! (Got nothing at the moment as I've just moved house and sold the lot to start again, boo hoo... :suicide: )

Cheers

2. jackylad

jackylad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I emailed Philips Customer Service about the lcd screen and they came back with a reply as follows:

We can advise that the 9986 models were re-called du to customer health and safety. The 9986 range will be re-released at the end of August 2004.

This model has a DVI connection so you can connect it to the PC. It will give you an excellent picture. This model will give you various resolutions which will be found at the back of the manual.

End

So, that clears that up. Roll on end of August!

:thumbsup:

3. Eyeball

Eyeball
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't understand what's going on. If Philips said that then how come most shops, including Comet, have the 9986 available and in stock ready to ship to buyers?!

I'm just about to buy one and found a stockist, which is busy processing my paperwork and should get the set by next week sometime. Should I cancel, because this is getting me a bit nervous now....it's a lot of cash!

S :confused:

4. Eyeball

Eyeball
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jackylad, just realised you're talking about the 42" LCD, I'm after the 32PF9986.

I think I'm still ok to go ahead. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Cheers,
    S :thumbsup:

5. jdl

jdl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Eyeball.
    Here the facts NOBODY and i mean NOBODY has the new sets after the recall, same goes for the 32 and the 42.
    The production begun July 29 and the sets will be available at the end of the month, in some areas that means at the start of the September.
    Here is a tip for you to know if you dealing with a tv before the recall and the new ones :
    The new sets will ship with a cable ( component to VGA ) and an adaptor VGA to DVI-I, in contrast the old ones has only the adaptor without the cable.
    Hope that helps.

6. JH4

JH4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    I've had the 32PF9986 since mid May. Very happy with it. It has had the minor wiring mod done on the ambilight, and it all works a treat. Highly recommended.

7. Eyeball

Eyeball
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that Jackylad......So you're saying if a shop has got one the it's a pre-recall LCD..? But then surely they shouldn't be selling them. Do the ones pre-recall differ lots, and are the new ones gonna be same price? Sorry for all the Q's but just trying to see where I'm going with my order.

I have to contact them on Monday to finalise details but in light of what you're telling me perhaps I should cancel and wait.
    Anyone have any views on this..?

P.S what are cable ( component to VGA ) and an adaptor VGA to DVI-I used for? Not too clued up on this tech talk. :blush:

Thanks for the help.

S

8. neiljones

neiljones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Senior marketing manager advised me on 3rd August that the 42" LCD 9986 will be available at the end of August in small quantities.
    He also stated that the 37" version will also be released and more widely available.
    Even before the recall I am not aware that anyone has ever seen the 42" version, other than a chap who regularly contibutes to this forum who bought his set in Greece.
    He first mentioned the "overheating" problem with Ambilight and the malfunction of the remote.
    Still have not been able to identify any long term guarantee availability.
    If John Lewis sell it their 5 year warranty sounds the best bet but at what price the set-unable to get any response from them re their policy of selling these models.
    NJ

9. jackylad

jackylad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Eyeball,

I don't know what everyone else thinks but maybe we should both wait until the end of August for the new releases. I spoke to a guy in Fenwicks Department Store in Newcastle yesterday, and he said that they are due to get the new releases in September (as they normally take four weeks or so to get them in after the release date). Although if an online retailer has them in stock at the end of August I think I'll just have to get hold of one straight away.

The DVI connection is ideal for what I'm hoping to achieve with the overall setup. PC to LCD via a DVI connection. I'm not that hot on the tech stuff either but that seems to be the best possible connection for picture quality from a PC.

I can't find any reviews of the sets online or in Mags yet, but if I do I'll post the comments.

Cheers

10. Eyeball

Eyeball
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for that guys.....sounds like a safe bet to wait then.

11. Eyeball

Eyeball
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just called my retailer and they said that the re-released 9986 is due out in a couple of weeks and that no retailers are allowed to sell this model prior to them being re-released, meaning no tv's with the ambient light problem that have been modded are allowed to dispatch.

So, I've placed my order and await eagerly for the new telly.....woohoooo! :clap:

Thanks again for all the replies, much appreciated.

S

12. JH4

JH4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Just to clarify the DVI input on the 32PF9986. Despite the criticism in some magazine tests that this has no component input sockets, in fact the DVI socket WILL accept component inputs via the adapter, but more crucially, this input will also accept HDMI, which the testers conveniently forgot to tell everyone. So you can use either method(although I have not tried them)
    Hope this helps prospective buyers.

13. Eyeball

Eyeball
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know if the re-released versions of the 9986 are coming with progressive scan?

14. Eyeball

Eyeball
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry....thought I'd put this message back in play to find out if the 9986 is coming out with progressive scan?

Does anyone know?

Thanks.