1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 42PF9966

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by bigddd, Apr 4, 2005.

1. bigddd

bigddd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im considering buying an HDTV ready plasma. I heard the Philips 42PF9966 is a very good option. But is it really an HDTV and does it come with a dvi input or hdmi? would I be better off going with the pioneer 435 xde which I now does all of the above?
    Many thanks

2. shugg

shugg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi there, when i was looking, the pioneer was my initial fav. but suffers from motion judder, so i switched to the philips ( it has a DVI connection).
    Best to look at them both and make your own mind up, though. Good tip - find your telly at a cheaper high street shop and go to john lewis for a price match as they give 5 year warranties. :clap: happy hunting shugg

3. Maxi_TK96

Maxi_TK96
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As far as HDTV goes the 9966 supports 1080i which is one of the HDTV-resolutions but it doesn't support 720p. As to whether the lack of 720p support is important that is not known but I would imagine that your box should be able to output both 1080i and 720p. Anyway, since the 9966 uses Alis-panel you should get the best PQ with 1080i. Generally it seems that this telly is good with interlaced sources.

As far as moving picture goes this is a bit of an interesting issue; the movement varies depending on whether you use analog or digital input. If you use the analog input (and you have PixelPlus2 selected) the movement is very smooth but the side-effect is that you end up with a little motion dither. For some reason the the image from DVI seems to be moving very conservatively compared to the movement from analog sources but that is not a bad thing since the movement can be considered more "unprocessed" this way and imho this seems to be suiting movies very fine. Also the effect of motion dither doesn't appear to haunt the pic from DVI. As far as gaming goes PP2 with it's smoothly moving picture is really an advantage or atleast I like it very much. Makes you wonder where did those extra fps came from :)

Other things about this set: very easy to install, no fan noise (is there a fan inside this thing ?) and no noticeable buzzing. Well, if you put your ear to the machine you will hear the buzz a bit but I would be very impressed if it can be heard from 1m distance. It is certainly not loud and you can only hear it when there's no volume. The ambilight feature produces actually noticeable buzzing which varies according to the color intensity so I'm not sure if it's "worth the buzz".

4. tujax

tujax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Well, most of what you say applies also to its big brother (50") with some differences. For example, PP2 is good but it seems too slow, so it produces the (in)famous halo effect on moving faces, for example. Therefor, on a good source (dvd) I use digital options="progressive scan" and "movie plus" for regular emissions. That seems to produce the best results.

As for the noise, the big brother actually buzzes a little more than the 42". The ambilight is also noisy, but I think it is worthy during afternoon when the environ noise obfuscates it.

Another plus of this x9966 series is the amount of features it has out of the box, most of them are common to other sets, but this got it all: average sound level, active control driven by a light sensor, program schedule, programable lock (for kids), programable decoder setup, 2500 cached dual screen teletext, automatic install, bla bla. The bad: no PIP or PAP, although it is fully functional for USA models, they were cut out from european models (philips assholes).

5. Stonedragon

Stonedragon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    bigddd,

You might be interested to know that the set DOES have a 720p option in the service menu- you can turn it off or on. I haven't tried it as yet but will do when I get a vistit from Gordon. I'll let you know how I get on.

6. tujax

tujax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    stonedragon, I wouldn't bet on it. Well, let me refrase that: don't count on that :) I'm convinced the service menu has kind of fixed entries, that needs the real deal on hardware and firmware to work.

For instance, on my 9966 there is an option to turn on or off PIP stuff set to off. If you change it to on then restart the tv, the pip/pap menu entry appears, but when configured, doesn't produce correct results. :-(

There are some things that might be enabled on the service menu, like the "dealer demo", but that's useless anyway.

7. Maxi_TK96

Maxi_TK96
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm....very strange, the smaller brother does not have the halo problem. Might this have to do with the difference between panels ? 42 has Alis but the bigger seems to be having a true HD panel.