1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 42PF9966 with a 1024x768 panel

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Geo_Law, Nov 5, 2004.

1. Geo_Law

Geo_Law

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This forum is not very compimentary about the 42pf9966. Mostly (I guess?) because it has a 1024x1024 alis panel, which doesn't seem to be too popular. Mysteriously down here in Aus the 42pf9966 has a 1024 x 768 panel. See the spec sheets at http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/...LARGE_32_42_SU&slg=ENG&scy=&tmplt=&SearchTxt=
    (the Australian model is 42pf9966/79).
    Does anyone know why this might be ? Or who might make the panel (I presume Philips are buying it from somewhere ?). When I compare the spec sheets of the UK vs Aus models it's nearly all the same except:
    - resolution = 1024 x 768
    - contrast ratio = 3000:1 (instead of 1000:1)
    - the inputs are different (cinch connectors rather than scart)
    - The Aus model also supports 1024x768 and 1280x768 PC display resolutions)
    For some reason our local discussion forums don't seem to carry much comment on the Philips models, they concentrate on the Japanese/Korean boxes -- probably because they are cheaper here! But I was impressed by the Philips PQ, and the 50inch version was stunning (but too big for me). Anyway, I'd be interested in any thoughts on why the different plasma panels in what otherwise seems to be an identical box.

2. lemke

lemke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Indeed, in the US also, they have the same specs.
    It also has an component YUV input
    And not in Benelux ... and some other countries :(

Why? I have no idea.
    I'm also sad, only the Pany Viera is available here, and not the new HD 7 series.

Still, I'm very pleased with my Philips.

Greetz.

3. xyzebra

xyzebra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just bought it and it has the 1024 x 768 specs...3000..1 contrast...

It is a GREAT screen...but unfortunately here on the Brit board everyone drinks the same coolade and the only good display is Pannasonic....

Ironically in there own country a high tech mag just listed the top ten plasmas and Philips beat Panasonic...

But don't tell them that, it would make them put down their coolade and scratch teir heads.

LOL.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Not at all true.Fujitsu and pioneer make some stunning screens.... The Philips could be a contender..IF they havent screwed the specs for the euro unit and if connectivity is good.........SPecs do reek of a rebadge unit tho....be interested if it is philips glass or rebaged glass from NEC or Panny.......

5. lemke

lemke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Totally Right HornyDragon.
    Why is Philips doing this for the EU model, I don't understand it. :confused:

Still, saw today the new PIO 435 and the Philips 42pf9966, on the same wall, 5" apart. With analog feed (TV), the philips was the better one. But for HD, the PIO is slightly better, but the Philips has also excellent PQ. Not easy to see.

And contract/Brightness on my Philips ... I have both now on half setting 50 (out of 100). Really very good and vivit colors. Darkzones are ... very dark I must say. And Ambilight is a very nice addition.

Greetz
    Lem.

6. cliveuk

cliveuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    i have to agree with xyzebra, ive never been in a forum where everyone is so one sided panasonic this panasonic that i dont disagree they are a nice screen but come on they not the only ones out there

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    very true but you have to start spending real money to get better than the 42" PW6 for £1600 delivered............... if you look at 50"+units a much more open feild but at what price? Truth is panny PW6 screens should not be retailing for £1600 but they are probably because they got undercut in beginning of the year by NEC and LG on commercial markets and have excess stock and imenent arrival of a new model........ Personally at 42" TV replacement panel Fujitsu HHS is king at 37" its got to be the Sharp 37" Titanium LCD at 32" Panny Veira LCD at 50" Pio 504HDE for a TV and Fujitsu 50XHA10 for a panel 50+ get a PJ not worth the money for plasma..... DLP RPTV is other option (PJ in a BOX.....) BUT hey what do i know..................................................................................................

8. lemke

lemke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1600 £ for the 42" PW6 for £1600 and delivered for free.
    Hell, I even buy it. That's about 2400 Euro. That's cheap. With a TV decoder (incl scaler), still cheap.

If I have to buy this panel in the Benelux, I pay about 5000-6000 Euro !!!
    So Pany is not a real bargen.