1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 42pf9966: Just experimenting

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by lemke, May 30, 2005.

1. lemke

lemke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just experimenting, but need some explanation

Experimenting, based on information of GameFreak2002. Why, for the fun, finding out all possibilities of the Plasma and getting the best PQ and most flexibility.
    So testing with the component of my Jamo DVD593 player, progressive, connecting on my DVI-I, like this:
    http://cgd.sdf-eu.org/ht/yuv2.jpg (thanks GameFreak2002)

The 3-RCA are connected Red-Red, green-white, blue-yellow.
    And it works indeed. How come, seems that some DVD players output Component progressive as RGBHV. And our DVI Socket accepts HDMI, Digital Stream and RGBHV. The plasma showing (only) 480p, but the screen is purple ??

I also tried through my SCART, setting my DVD player on interlaced, choosing YPbPr in the settings. In the menu, the colors are OK and picture seems (not sure) more stable. So test with a movie ... but when playing a movie, the screen is Green ??

Oh, and I recently upgrade my plasma to V2.4 Not really improvements on first sight, PQ was already great :thumbsup: , but maybe some improvements on the DVI interface.

Questions:

1. Where does the purple come from in scenario 1
    2. Where does the green come from in scenario 2
    3. Any knowledge available about the internal menu of the 42pf9966
    4. How can I change the 480p on my DVD player

Thanks
    Lem

2. lemke

lemke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    where are all those Philips 9966 owners ... to exchange experience with their favorite Plasma ...

Or did they all got converted and went now for Panasonic? :D

Greetz
    Lem

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Lemke, quite a few DVI-I ports can accept a YUV signal, so no surprise in scenario 1, you can indeed make this work. The green phono on component gives the 'sync' signal, and will give a black and white picture on a composite input, or indeed if this is the only component cable you plug, on a component input too. The other 2 lines are 'colour difference' connections. These give you the weirdness if not connected to the right terminals, or if it's an RGB only input, clearly the colours will be very strange.
    Now, the next bit. Connected to a scart, as soon as you switch to YUV, the scart will give only a composite signal. This is seen as RGB and sync on green, so gives a green tinted B/W. Simple? Maybe not!

4. lemke

lemke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks MAW
    I'll have a test again.

Lem