1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 42PF9965

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by ggp159, Jul 22, 2003.

1. ggp159

ggp159

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just read the review in this month's issue. I have a question about the HDTV modes of this plasma screen. They are not mentioned in the review except the resolution which is 1024x1024. I would like to know if it supports 480p,720p,1080i. Anyone can help?

2. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +622
    I had the same question and have been unable to find an answer. You can download a brochure for this set that does include the PC resolutions at:
    http://www.press.ce.philips.com/press/pre-ifa/20030611_482.html
    I have to say that I have seen the 32" and 37" versions of this set and was not at all impressed (both displaying a Sky feed not DVD). Both sets displayed noticeable more noise that the other plasmas with the same feed.

I belivee that this plasma uses an ALiS screen (like the Hitachi 42PD3000 and Sony 42ts2). These screens have a high resolution (1024x1024 on the 37" and 42") but are naturally interlaced. Even when fed with a progressive signal it still displays an interlaced picture (i.e. 512 lines at a time). Despite this some people have reported that they get a better picture on ALiS screens when feeding them with a progressive DVD rather than interlaced.

I have seen other ALiS screens that explicitly state that they take all the available formats i.e. 480i/p, 576i/p, 720p and 1080i

3. ggp159

ggp159

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply. i called the magazine and they said that it supprots all of them. Also they gave it the highest award . i am confused. can you help?

4. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +278
    Hi,

The 480p and 720p signals would be interlaced and scaled by the panel to fit the 512 alternating lines of the panel. A 1080i signal would be displayed with 28 "lines" chopped off the top and bottom, but would still be scaled from 1920 to 1024 pixels horizontally. Hope this helps.

Steve

5. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +622
    Since I have started viewing plasmas and CRTs for myself I have totally lost faith in reviews from magazines such as HCC. Trust what you see yourself and not the reviews - assuming that you can get to see the display reasonably well set up and can have a go at changing the settings according to your own preference.

I went and auditioned the 36" Philips Pixel Plus CRT after they rated it as one of the best TVs ever because of its amazing Pixel+ technology.

At first I was really impressed - the TV had the sharpest pictures that I had ever seen. Then something moved across the screen and it was followed by a sea of digital trails. Generally the set with (P+ on) appeared to me to handle movement really badly - for me it was totally unnaceptable. (See all the complaints in the CRT forums.)

Unlike CRTs all plasmas with a resolution over 576 lines have to scale an incoming PAL signal up. I am not sure if Pixel+ has any advantages over other manufactures technology.

6. tbrar

tbrar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The reason for this can be explained by the way ALIS panels actually work.

An Interlaced signal in the case of say, a Hitachi, thats fed into the display is converted to progressive (ie a 567i is converted to a 576p), this is then scaled to fit the resolution of the screen, 1024p, converted back to interlaced, 1024i, and then displayed as such.

If fed a progressive signal, ie from a DVD player, the interlaced to progressive conversion step is bypassed within the display. However the progressive feed from the DVD still undergoes the remainder of the steps, ie upscaled to 1024p, converted to 1024i before display (as two feilds of 512, first odd then even lines).

Hence whether or not the final result is better/worse with a Progressive Scan DVD player is entirely dependant upon which device, plasma or DVD player, has the better interlaced to progressive conversion process.