1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 42PF9965

Discussion in 'Philips TVs Forum' started by MR2Harvey, Oct 28, 2003.

1. MR2Harvey

MR2Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I've been reading about the Philips 42PF9965 and it seems to have a very good picture and a lot of technology. However I can't believe the contrast and brightness figures 400:1 contrast and 600 cdm brightness! These are really bad figures if they are right, the Hitachi which uses the same panel has 1000:1 and 1000cdm. Does anyone know if these are right? Has anyone got / seen one of these screens? if so what are your thoughts?

Cheers

Harvey

2. loadsofleads

loadsofleads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You have to take these brightnes and contrast figures with a large pinch of salt. Panasonic says it's new panels boast 4000:1 contrast while the Philips has 400:1 That would mean the Panasonics contrast is a 1000% better than the philips, I've seen these two screens and although the Panasonic offers the best contrast of any plasma, it certainly isn't ten times better than the Philips. I ignore these figure which are usually plucked from the sky, demo the screens yourself, it's the only way to be sure. :lesson:

3. marcello

marcello

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :) I have a 9965 and i'd say its the best plasma by far. Firstly no flicker on sky or dvd. Whenever you see the pano's they look great untill you put sky on and then they flicker like mad. What i did have to do is take some of the digital processing off which made the picture really appear like high def, which is partly pixel plus's aim. Just rigged my xbox through high def cables and ran sould caliber 2. simpy utterly awesome, . Good luck M

4. Arshad

Arshad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    marcello

I am considering the 9965.

Can you tell me how many inputs are there on your E box?

Here the E box has 4 scarts, 1 component, S video, VGA in, and Monitor out inputs. The panel itself has DVI-D, 1 component, VGA 1 and VGA 2. I asked the Philips here and they said the E box cannot accept PAL and NTSC progressive for that I have to connect the DVD player directly to the panel instead of going throught the E box and also if I were to connect the HD set-top box I have to connect it directly to the panel. But then I cannot use all the features of the E box, life PIP, full screen and the digital processing to the picture.

Isn't this kind of strange? Doesn't this bother you?

I would like to know if I off these digital processing like the Pixel Plus, can the E box then accept the PAL and NTSC progressive?

Do you see any glowing dottiness over moving flesh specially when the Pixel Plus feature is on? And also is there any grey pixel noise with dark footage?

Thanks

5. claudio1953

claudio1953

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sorrily I have to disagree with taffyboyo; the dispaly contrast in philips and panny could be very well ten times different (I cannot measure the actual value) on measurement data.
    The real thing is that human "sensitivity" for any value (audio, video, even pain) goes on a logarithmic scale; for instance in audio level 3db (which is 10 times louder or softer) is the recognized minimun difference level heard by human hear.
    By comparison a contrast ratio of 400:1 is not much different from a contrast ratio of 1000:1 by human eye (maybe cats!!!! who knows).
    On the contrary a difference of ten times can be seen by human eye.
    P.S.: forgive my poor english, but I'm writing from Italy
    Ciao to everyone

6. marcello

marcello

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

The screen does not accept pal or ntsc progressive. because of pixel plus and what it does. When i first recieved the sceen i was slightly dissapointed but once i turned digital noise reduction off and active display off the picture improved beyond belief. If you have a poor terrestial reception then these processes help but if you have a good sky digital signal then the proccess make the picture worse. Pixel plus is always on which is brilliant for sky. once you put a dvd in then i switch it to movie plus (pixel plus is still on with this mode). There is also a progressive scan option which produces a similar result if you had a progressive scan dvd player connected to an ordinary plasma.

Once you have seen the 9965 set up properly and then compare it to a pano, or fujitsu, pioneer, it simply blows away the competition. it really does look near to high def and with no flicker.

With any plasma if you look straight at it from really close up you will always see things you don't like. this is down to mpeg compression and in the digital age it is something we have to get used to, but once sat in back properly you will be absolutely stunned at the imagery you are seeing.

The other plasma i would consider is the new pioneer but i am pretty sure once connected to sky flicker reappears and i would imagine like most people that you would watch sky more than watching dvd's.

good luck

7. Arshad

Arshad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    marcello,

Sorry to bother you again. Since the E box accepts only interlace signals, have you tried connecting the dvd player directly to the panel (not using the E box)?

Interlaced component
    a.k.a. component; Y, Pb, Pr; 480i

Progressive component
    a.k.a. component; Y, Cb, Cr; 480p

Broadband component
    a.k.a. component; Y, Cb, Cr; wideband component; 1080i; HDTV

I found this on the CNET.com

So the progressive component would be Y, Cb, Cr. Correct?

The interlace component would be Y, Pb, Pr. Correct?

G/Y, B/Pb, R/Pr is written write next to the inputs for the component input on the 42PF9965(42FD9954) panel which is available here.

But I found this on the UK website that it is written as G/Y/Y, B/Pb/Cb, R/Pr/Cr. So shouldn't it be written like this if it can support both interlace and progressive?

Do you know if the component input on the 9965 panel can accept 480p, 576p, 720p and 108i signals?

Just want to know if I directly connect to the panel, can I still do some adjustment to the picture, like making it full screen rather than having black bars top and bottom?

Is there any other feature the panel itself has on its own apart from the E box?

I'm sorry if i asked too many questions but just making sure you know.

Thanks