Philips 42PF9965 - progressive > denon 2200

P

pbeeby

Hi there,

can anyone help. I've just taken delivery of the Philips 42PF9965 and Denon 2200 DVD player but I can't get the Philips to display a picture from the DVD player in Progressive mode.

The DVD player has been set up for Multi TV (NTSC / PAL) and I have selected Progressive mode on the TV. I'm using the separate Red Green Blue cable to connect the DVD to the Receiver but I can only get a picture when I select the interlaced output. When I switch the DVD player to progressive I get a blank screen.

can anyone help - I bought the Denon mainly becuase of the Progressive Scan fucntion :(

Hmmm, not too good! The only philips info on the web doesn't show any component inputs! They must be there as you are connected to them. This plasma has a method of operation which may not be ideally suited to progressive scan in any case, and it does sound like it's not compatible. Nobody really knows what processing goes on in your panel, but don't despair, nor chuck your Denon out, it's a very good player, and if the picture with such a top knotch interlaced output is good, why worry?

I want to use progressive if possible as the picture is supposed to be better than an interlaced picture. From scanning the forum in more detail it seems that I need to connect the component cable directly into the monitor rather than into the ebox. Will give it a try.

I'm very pleased with the picture. I've only just connected the DVD to the Plasma with the component leads and the picture is excellent.

I also rate the Pixel Plus technology. It definitely offers improvement over the standard picture. It seems to increase the definition of picture to another level.

I was slighltly suprised by all the negative comments about this set on the forum. I've had mine for 4 months now and can't fault it. Also rate shopathills where I bought it from - good customer service.

At the minute i have a 36in pixel+ CRT and i think the picture is brilliant, Im upgrading to a plasma, I was going to go for the Pioneer 434hde but if the picture on the Phillips plasma is like my CRT I might go for that.

I'm afraid you won't have any luck getting prog scan to work with your plasma.
I have a philips 42pf9955 plasma and a denon dvd 2900 dvd. After I was unable to get it working with progressive scan, I phoned Philips Tech Support and they informed me that ALL Philips plasma's are not compatible with progressive scan through the component sockets but only the VGA socket(i.e. a computer connection).
I personally feel that Philips has misled a lot of people in their advertising which just says PROGRESSIVE SCAN in its litrature. If it said progressive scan through VGA port only I'm sure their sales would be down.

Compared to the 434HDE, which is probably the best integral tuner plasma on the market, I think you'd find the philips a bit sad. Pixel plus does not work well on the plasma, Philips have yet to make a serious impression in the plasma market, they are not well spoken of. You'll find that, in spite of some recent hassles, Hitachi's plasmas have a lot more friends here.

Hi,

With Philips 42PF9965 there is no need for the Progressive Scan via the component inputs!!! The unit has its own progressive scan technology with PixelPlus!
Picture via RGB is superb when PixelPlus is enabled and DNR is disabled! I have compared this Plasma with 434HDE using component/RGB, the Philips gives much better picture! Also compared to the Hitachi (ALis Plasma panels).
Of course, watching programs from the analog antenna input with noisy signals and Pixel Plus enabled gives a crap picture! in this case, switch Pixel Plus off!.
George
I don't konw why in this forum the set has negative comments!

I have recently purchased a Philips 42PF9965 and connected it to my Toshiba SD200E via component (YPbPr) connection. (EXT5 on Philips)
I am 'testing' the picture quality using 'The Mission' De Niro/R2 (not the best for reference) and I am amazed to see severe ghosting during the start of chapter 2.
If I hook up my IBM laptop via the VGA-RGB output, at the same scene there is almost no ghosting ! Any ideas ? What am I doing wrong ?

With respect to no progressive scan on EXT ports except VGA does this mean that I need to buy a DVD with a VGA progressive scan output or do I need cables ?

Alex

You'd need a dvd with VGA, or use your PC. A vga dvd player is a bit of a price. Not worth it, it's an intrinsically interlaced panel, the layers of internal processing are pretty unfathomable, just let it do it's stuff with an interlaced signal if I were you. Ghosting could be a cable issue, or it might not like your tosh, I have known this with other more highly thought of screens also, don't blame Philips for it.

I have tried hooking up my Tosh via IXOS RGB-Scart. Image slighlty worse but ghosting is still around...
:(

As I said, it may be a toshiba issue. Fortunately it's not the world's most expensive DVD player. I'd suggest borrowing one from a friend to try, and if you decide to buy another, go to a shop who will let you try a demo machine at home on the screen, then there'll be no mistakes.

has anyone connected a DVD player with vga to the Philips 42PF9965? as I'm considering purchasing yet another DVD player but this time with vga connection.

Can anyone recommend what DVD player with vga would be suitable as it needs to be region free?

Many Thanks & hopeful
:lease:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom