1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 42PF9964

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by yasa22, Jan 14, 2003.

1. yasa22

yasa22
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I have purchased the above plasma screen and it is nice!

The sound quality is excellent and the picture is excellent from DVD source. It leaves a little bit to be desired from normal TV and Satelite.

Philips 42PF9964 supplied with wall bracket and tuner. Also Philips supply a free DVD recorder or Philip Dolby digital setup!

Anyone else out there got one?

2. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi i had the 52 and the 64 modell, its very scary hanging it on that bloody coathanger they call a wall bracket ?
    i had both mine replaced and now have a toshiba/panny and very happy.
    the philips is one of the best looking plasma`s out there though. as long as its off

3. yasa22

yasa22
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why did you have them replaced?

4. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    to many probs to go in to now.
    overall i was not happy with them hopefully you will have better luck?
    there a few threads on it if you use the search.
    if you dont mind me asking how much did you pay? from where

5. yasa22

yasa22
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I paid just under £4000 with a five year warranty and Free Philips DVD surround system thingy.

The wall bracket is minimal, but if its supplied with the screen it must be adequate.

What forums are these listed on?

6. yasa22

yasa22
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Been looking back through the forums, do you recognise this quote JMACK when refering to your first PHILIPS PLASMA

" i`m very happy with it colours and sound are amazing (to me). any tips on caring for this model or any plasma "

Interesting!

7. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i was upgrading from a 14inch bush £99.00 tv though
    whats your point?

8. yasa22

yasa22
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My point.....

Let me think....

Every post here in the forum relating to Philips Plasmas is instantly followed by a post by you telling everyone how bad they are!

Could it infact be the case that you are trying to reduce the number of Philips plasmas sold because you want to reduce the price and buy some yourself?

A cunning plan, Bladrick !

14" Bush to two large plasma screens......!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wow, did you win the lottery or something? Guess the Bush had to be returned to.

9. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thats because its a forum where people want other peoples views on a product before they buy,

dont buy a farrari there crap! will the price drop now for me to buy a few:boring:

ps. it was 3 large screens i had 2 philips before changing and do actually like the make

10. yasa22

yasa22
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yhea, I agree they are crap. Can't drive the one in the Garage, keep getting caught by those bloody speed cameras!

Keep on Posting.

I think My Phillips 42PF9964 is great.

11. pixie

pixie
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I second that yasa22 :clap:

At last - someone else has spotted this!

I own a Phillips plasma - 32pf9964 and I'm extremely pleased with it.

I very rarely bother looking in on this forum now, as whenever a Philips plasma is mentioned it's immediately stamped on with negativity from the same people. Consequently, there is never a real discussion about the plasma as everyone is put off instantly, and unless you have a Panny or Pioneer then the forum offers very little.

It's a shame really, as I feel that this type of constant negative posting is stopping people like myself contributing to this forum on a regular basis. Whilst people do need to know if there have been problems with plasmas, constantly banging on about it isn't a helpful approach, these forums are searchable, after all!

End of rant :)

12. ncpl

ncpl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Question for the Philips fanclub:- did you come across a 42HF9964 (note the H).
    I can possibly get a very good price on one, and would like to know how different it appears to be to your 42" models.

Is the 9964 the same H2 panel as the Fuji/Hitachi?

Cheers

Nick

13. pixie

pixie
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Nick,

I managed to dig up this from Philips site:

"42HF9964 - The Smartcard range is the Philips professional range of System TVs able to communicate (bi-directional) with a central server/PC, supporting services like PayTV, video-on-demand, Internet, messaging, etc. When combined with a specific Philips application card, like a Netcard or Scancard, the Smartcard TVs can become part of a network (up to 32,000 TVs) where each screen has its own dedicated IP address and can be controlled from a central point."

Essentially, it seems to be the same but with 'hotel mode features". So perhaps the H is for 'hotel'?!

The promo image on Philips site looks the same as the PF model, but it's difficult to tell as the image isn't very high resolution.

The original page is at:

http://www.consumer.philips.com/glo...BUSINESSANDLUXURYHOTEL&productId=42HF9964_12Z

or if the above link doesn't work, the navigation path is:

Electronics > TV > Institutional TV > Business & Luxury Hotels > 42HF9964

I didn't see one when I was researching mine, but then this isn't the sort of model that they'd display in John Lewis!

As for what screen they use, the Home Entertainment review said it's a Fujitsu one, when they reviewed the 32".

The link to the review that said this is:

http://www.home-entertainment.co.uk/grouptest_read.asp?GroupID=2009&ArticleID=2004

Hope this is of some help!
    Pixie

14. ncpl

ncpl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Pixie,
    I read the .pdf for the H model, and when it talked about welcome messages and patching audio through to the bathroom, I also guessed it was a hotel model. It doesn't look overly blessed with connectivity for the normal user. Can't imagine when I'd install my own payTV though, although, when my boys get a bit older, it could come in handy:smoke:

cheers

Nick

15. yasa22

yasa22
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Thanks for the support pixie, Think we need to start a string just for members of the forum who have Philips Plasmas.

NCPL, I Think its just the commercial version of the PF, I would guess that if its IP addressable it can be networked and sent a single allowing only the paid for viewing on the screen.

This seems like a clever idea for large hotels, don't think it much use for us at home.

Pixie, have you looked at the specs for the Hitachi? Notice how similar they are to the Philips?????

16. pixie

pixie
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Yasa22,

Glad that someone else has finally bought one!

Haven't looked at the Hitachi's lately, but I did consider getting the 32" CL32PD2100 - I wasn't too fussed on the early 80's retro look that it had, plus the Philips looked much nicer! Did you consider one too before going for the Philips?

Nick - it looks like the H model is extremely customised, it doesn't mention the E-box so I guess it wouldn't come with one as the plasma has all the different conectivity and remote management options. Could be quite cool though - if you have a house and can afford a plasma in every room! With any luck, it's the future of all our homes... :) Well, maybe the future of mine when I've saved up a lot of money! :D

Pixie

17. yasa22

yasa22
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Pixie,

Found an additional feature on the Philips plasma screen, mate of mine told me about some additional functions that the TVs have and we tried this and it worked.

There is a diagnostics menu that you can look at....

Press and hold the mute key on your remote, press and hold the menu key on your tunner box, the normal menu will appear and the puck will rotate, keep buttons pressed a little longer and hey presto another screen appears with loads of information about the set.

:laugh:

18. pixie

pixie
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Yasa22,

Thanks for that - tried it out and found all the info!

Do you happen to know if there's a way you can find out how many hours your plasma has been used for...?

Pixie

19. yasa22

yasa22
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Pixie,

Keep messing with the remote...

Don't think there is any way to get the hours used although I am lead to believe by an TV engineer friend of mine that Philips supply there engineers with a special remote that has lots of additional functions and can bring up even more menus !

If you find a way please let me know.

20. pixie

pixie
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Yasa22,

Will let you know if I stumble across it, hopefully, if Philips engineers have special remotes then I shouldn't be able to break anything whilst randomly pressing buttons!! :) well, I hope...!

Pixie