1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 42PF9964

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Flashman, Dec 6, 2002.

1. Flashman

Flashman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I'm new to this, currently have a rather large Tosh rear proj tv which I've been very happy with, but due to two young kids could really do with freeing up some much needed space....
    I'm interested in the Philips (Robert Whyte in Glasgow are doing a good deal...) but it seems to have got poor reviews on this forum?
    I'm a little confused, all reviews except one in the High St magazines I've read have been good....
    I'm tempted by this as my better half wants something relatively simple to use (i.e. a tuner box)
    Help! I'd appreciate any views as I don't want to make a costly mistake.......

2. pixie

pixie
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Flashman,

I have a Philips 32" plasma (PF329964), and I've been extremely happy with it - had it for around 4 months now.

I'd say that it depends on what you need from your plasma screen. The picture quality from mine is really good, although if it is entirely picture quality you're after then you may be better suited to a Panny or Pioneer. I nearly went for a Panny screen, but just couldn't bear the ugly casing that it has - it certainly wouldn't have fitted in my room! It just depends on what you're priorities are. Plus the picture in picture mode is fab - halo on xbox and corrie at the same time! :)

I know that some people on the forum have experienced problems with the Philips 42", but these seem to have been with the earlier generation of the screen.

These forums do seem to be completely Panny and Pioneer centric, as the majority of people have screens by these manufacturers. But if you're after something that looks a bit more stylish, and comes with everythng you need, then the Philips is the screen to go for. All you can do is go along and take a look!

3. MARTIN TURNER

MARTIN TURNER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I ASKED VIRTUALLY THE SAME THING ABOUT 2 WKS AGO AND GOT PRETTY LUKE WARM REPLIES.THE ONLY DEMOS I SAW OF THE PHILLIPS DID SUFFER FROM SOME SOLARISATION WHICH WAS THE PROBLEM PEOPLE ON HERE HAD HIGHLIGHTED.I HAD THE SAME REQUIREMENTS AS YOU SO IN THE END I WENT FOR THE SAMSUNG PACKAGE IN CURRYS FOR £3000 AFTER STANDING WATCHING ABOUT 5 DIFFERENT SCREENS FOR ABOUT HALF AN HOUR IN LOCAL CURRYS SUPERSTORE.THE TUNER BOX COMES WITH PLENTY OF CONNECTIVITY AND PIP SO I CAN WATCH THE FOOTIE WHILE THE WIFE WATCHES EASTENDERS. I AM SURE THE PANNY OR PIONEER HAVE BETTER PICCIES BUT THIS PACKAGE SUITED THE WHOLE FAMILES NEEDS.

4. Flashman

Flashman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Pixie/Martin,
    Thanks for your replies, the response was fairly underwhelming, but as you say, it seems the Pannys & Pioneers are the favourite at the mo....
    I haven't been able to get a demo of the Philips anywhere locally anyway, in order to make up my mind, so I may end up also going down the Samsung, or possibly the LG route as my local stores stock these screens and they offer a reasonable compromise.

5. pixie

pixie
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Flashman,

If you are still looking for a Philips screen to view, I know that John Lewis in Bristol have a 32" Philips there. They also have a 42" Philips on display, but I think this may be the older model.

Having said that - when I purchased mine the JL setup wasn't very good, so I only bought it on the condition that if the picture quality wasn't better through my own equipment, then it was being returned straight away! However, I am pleased with it.

I haven't seen the Samsung that you're talking about, but I did see an LG (in Comet at Cribbs), which I didn't think was anywhere near as good as the Philips - but it's all down to personal preference.

Hope you manage to pin it down soon!
    Pixie

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A few forum members bought the Philips
    and actually returned them cos of various problems, I fancied one before I got my Panny

but reading the negative reviews - plus forum members returning them, does'nt really inspire much confidence

after playing with them as well the menu,s are really sluggish which also put me off

must admit they do look very stylish, but at the end of the day, most Panny & Pioneer owners would not swap for the Philips

7. pixie

pixie
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Party Animal,

Ohh, yes, the negative reviews. T3: 4/5, Home Cinema Choice: 4/5, HomeEnterainment: 5/5, so I see what you mean about negative reviews for Philips plasmas!!

The only really negative reviews I ever read are on this forum, probably to do with a couple of people who had earlier generation screens who had them fail. I agree that the fact that other forum members have reported problems doesn't inspire confidence, but good reviews do, and I have nothing but good experiences to share about my Philips. As for sluggish menus it's not something that I've experienced, and it wasn't something that you mentioned in your previous posting, in fact you said "...I have had a demo of the 32" model and must say its pretty impressive..." and "...must say its pretty easy to use."

On the other hand, Panasonics are just so reliable and problem free, well, only if you can put up with the 'silent' operation 'feature' that the forum members have been discussing with so much praise!! And StooMonster has reported that his Panasonic TH-50PHW5 has a failed power supply (or 'blown up' as he put it!) after only two weeks and has to be replaced - does this mean that we should now take every possible opportunity to criticize Panasonic?

It's easy to see that ALL manufacturers produce screens that will fail at some point in their lives, or if you're really unlucky, it will have a fault that the manufacturer doesn't want to acknowledge, and as a consumer you either have to have a really long battle to fight your corner, or just 'put up and shut up'. Similar to the Panasonic 'silent operation' issue, aka noisy buzzing spoiling the viewing experience.

I'm sure you are right that most Panny and Pioneer owners wouldn't swap their screens for a Philips, but as a Philips owner I certainly wouldn't swap for an ugly Panny or Pioneer. Yes, the Panny's do produce a better picture, but in my opinion it's not so much better that I could bear the 'office-style' casing that it has. After all, I don't have my screen switched on all the time, and I want it to look equally good when it's switched off. Added to the fact that not everyone wants to pay extra for relatively basic options, like sound and a tuner.

I'm sorry if this seems extremely pro-Philips, I am not an obsessive 'fanboy', I am just someone who is fed up with every mention of the Philips plasma being met with negative views, when not eveyone's views are negative. At the end of the day, everyone's priorities ARE different, all they can do is go along and take a look, form their OWN OPINIONS and decide for themselves which they want to buy.

Pixie

8. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have had 2 philips plasma`s i had the 52 and the 64 models and i would not swop my toshiba plasma back for either of them.
    like you said its a personal opinion and that you should look at yourself,

9. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sorry if this seems extremely pro-Philips, I am not an obsessive 'fanboy'
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

LOL

10. pixie

pixie
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    LOL
    ---------------------------------------------------

lol indeed... my gender excludes me from being a 'fanboy' anyway! :p