1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 42pf9956

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by suffolktoon, May 11, 2005.

1. suffolktoon

suffolktoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Got an offer emailed via work on this plasma for £1500.

It seems ok, but I thought HDTV was going to be 1080 lines and this panel has a resolution of 852x480. So if I bought it what would I be losing from the picture.

Here's the full details.

Philips 42PF9956 / 42in Widescreen Plasma TV. . 16:9 aspect ratio . Brightness 1000 cd/m2 . 3000:1 contrast ratio . 852x480 resolution . Pixel Plus technology delivers more vivid details . Digital Natural Motion produces smooth judder free images . Progressive Scan for razor sharp and flicker free images . Active Control with Light Sensor optimizes picture quality . Virtual dolby surround . Builtin speakers . 1200 page hypertext . Remote control . Wall mounting bracket included

2. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    852x480 is widescreen NTSC resolution - though because the display is progressive it is a bit better than this. (In theory this is lower resolution than progressive PAL - which would be 1024x576)

This is the lowest resolution plasma panel generally available - it was the original resolution - and is OK for watching standard definition sources. However it is not HD - nor could it be called HD ready. It may well display HD sources, but not at HD resolution (it will downconvert them to SD before displaying them, if indeed it does display them)

For HDTV you need a minimum of 1280x720 - and if you want to be future proof you need to ensure it copes with HDCP+DVI or HDMI inputs, as well as 1080/50i and 1080/60i, as well as 720/50i and 720/50p inputs.

The plasma you describe is NOT HD-Ready.

3. suffolktoon

suffolktoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    That is exactly the sort of reply I wanted to read.

On the down side I suppose the type of panel you reccommend is at least twice the price of the one on sale.

4. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Yep - the cheaper plasmas on the market these days are usually the lowest resolution (852x480). You have to pay more for the higher resolution 720 line or higher models.