1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 42PF9956

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by allee, Feb 18, 2005.

1. allee

allee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any views on this? What type of panel is it? Does it produce decent blacks (currently have a 37PF9975 & not impressed with blacks at all - been told its because it's an ALiS panel). Philps website quotes 2 different brightness levels & contrast ratios! 1000cd/m & 3000:1 on the specs list but in the pdf file it quotes 700cd/m & 1200:1! Looking to ditch the 9975 but want a tv that shows black as black, not black as dark fog!

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Do I dare suggest another make? There's usually a reason why something gets sold off cheaply, you could hardly say you paid top dollar for the Philips. Very desirable screens hold on to their price a bit better, as a retailer, there's no need to cut your own throat on something that sells on it's own reputation, you need to cut the price on things sitting in the warehouse not making you any money. At 37" I think a Viera would do you nicely, assuming you want a plug and play TV. You get better results by using a monitor but it's more hassle to put it all together.

3. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi allee and MAW!

the only 42" plug n play TVs that I know of which I have seen definitely produce deep blacks are:

Philips 42PF9946
    Panasonic 42" Viera
    Sony KE-P42M1

The 42PF9956 definitely has the following specs, as confirmed by Philips: brightness 700, contrast 1200:1. What the picture is like is anybodys guess, as I know of nowhere that has it on display (the 'superior' ALiS Ambilight model is the one shops have, alas this produces a pale grey, not a black).

In my opinion the Panasonic does not outperform the 42PF9946 in picture quality, if anything it is the other way round. I don't think the 60% price premium gets you better performance. MAW will openly admit he has a disliking for Sony and Philips - I can't afford to rule them out myself. The 3 TVs I mention are everywhere, if youre in the UK, youve no excuse not to test them well and make your own mind up.

Whatever you do, don't buy without seeing and testing in the flesh. Specifications tell very little about the end picture. For this reason alone, it would be extremely unwise to buy the 42PF9956 without seeing it first. I'm still amazed there are so many wealthy people on this forum - buying thousands of pounds worth of equipment on the say of others alone!

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I am the 1st to agree with the last bit, I'd never part with my money on someone else's say so, though many do on mine... My end of the plasma business they just say 'I want a plasma here, music here, network here and here, and can the kids have a screen for the PS2 in here...' Shame they then spend 50 times as long haggling over £50 on the bill.

BTW if you read many of my posts you'd find it's not the makers I dislike, but the plasma TV products. Sony make some serious electronics, and I sell many Philips LCDs, and remote controls. I just don't like their plasmas, poor picture for the money I find.

5. Maxi_TK96

Maxi_TK96
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you are referring to the 9966 it will give black output unless the washing machine strore has completely messed up its setup. The reason why I figure anybody saying that it gives "pale grey" is the Denon 1910 which outputs tiny green dots when there's black so it's rather a problem with the player.

6. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I take back the remark about the 60% price premium for the Panasonic Viera, more like 33%. The Viera prices have taken a tumble, must be shops offloading those pieces of junk languishing in the warehouse, eh MAW? :D

In all seriousness, the best prices (delivered) are:

Philips 42PF9946 £1450
    Sony KE-P42M1 £1900
    Panasonic 42" Viera - £1950

This suddenly makes the Panasonic a real option for the money: you get connections, style and Freeview too. I still honestly prefer the Philips' picture, but they are very similar, and there are other considerations too of course. Go and demo and choose between those 3 - as you'll see they all produce blacks as you crave. Note, they all come in 37" flavours too (the best of which on picture alone is the Sony to my eyes, and by an instantly noticable margin. in the 42" size, things are different). If you wait a couple of months for the new Panasonics to take stock, then the old one may fall more in price too...if you can get it for £1600 it would be a bargain like the Philips

Maki: The PF9966 UK model definitely does not give out a true black, or anything approaching it. Philips uses the same model numbers with different panels across the world, so maybe you have a different set, or are gifted enough to produce wine from water...

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I'd still not go for any of the above for myself, I'd always go the monitor and separate sound system route. I can't bear the look of tose 2 stonking great ears on the sides of my display, makes it so big. The 37" viera is bigger than a 42" panel, same holds for the other makes too. It's true it's a bit more expensive to do this, but you are getting more. Have a look at the prices of this lot:- TH37PW7, Pioneer VSX402, Tannoy FX5.1, Pioneer DVD470, scart video board, wall mount. Full on 5.1, video switching for 3 RGB scart devices, just 1 remote control except for sky (if freeview then get the pioneer STB). Can't see why anyone would want a 'TV' myself.

8. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I was presuming allee wanted a full-blown TV for whatever reasons.

I personally am also only in the market for these because:

1. No panel-only is stylish enough for our house or family (except maybe the NECs). Especially when 'matching' speakers are added on (why I need this, see below).

2. In the bedroom, we just want a flat-panel hung on the wall, with nothing else connected.

3. In the living room, I already have a fantastically revealing stereo setup. Most TV programmes are unlistenable through it. I do not want and cannot have an extra hifi/home cinema setup in the same room just to listen to Sky News and the such on.

4. We must have analogue TV on the plasma, DVD sound must go through my stereo hifi, Sky and VHS (yes! a JVC professional deck for work needs, and it looks fine on my friends plasmas, believe it or not.) must be displayed on the plasma too.

5. It must be switched on and inputs selected as easily as it is now through my existing TV. Things like number of button presses and the like are very important. My dear old mum must be able to operate it as the acid test.

If you can think of anything that's genuinely as convenient and stylish, please do let me know. The TV is used so often and switched on and off so many times, that convenience is the main requirement, as is style as it is the centrepiece of a very modern and ultra-chic room. Following style, comes space too - so number and size of boxes must be minimal too...

9. allee

allee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Black levels look pretty much the same on all the tv's in the shop - it's only when you get it in a dark room it all turns a bit grey! The 9975 in the shop appears no different when its switched off to when its switched on with a completely black screen (eg on an untuned channel). A completely black screen in my living room lights up the whole room!

The 9946 & Viera were both options but i discounted these quickly after having a good look. The 9946 has juddering motion - i'm accustomed to the digital natural motion of the philips. (9945 has DNM, why doesn't the 9946?!). The Viera screen flickers. I much prefer the more stable picture of the philips, hence my considering the 9956 as this has DNM & is flicker free (or certainly no noticable flicker unlike Viera).

If anyone out there knows where I can see a 9956 in a decent AV showroom in southern england let me know! I'm in Wiltshire...

10. allee

allee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also - how do blacks appear on the 9986 lcd in a dark room? Looks completely black in the shop but i hear they look blue in normal viewing conditions....

11. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know what's going in this shop or how you're testing it...i think the lighting, signal and setup must be to blame.

different sets definitely don't look the same, and I have seen the 42PF9946 in an unlit room - its 99.9% pure black. you can get no blacker than this. it's every bit as black as most of my tube TVs.

and the 9986 LCD is nowhere near a black. LCDs are far worse than even your current plasma, don't even consider it.

you must have very sensitive eyes too, as I have never appreciated flicker on a Panasonic, or judder on the Philips.

in this case, you're right - the 9956 may be your only hope. good luck, i fear you may be chasing the impossible..

PS a DVD player connected via SCART playing a black screen (pause it on credits or something) is a quick way to see how black a set can go. make sure you see dark scene detail too, as dark blacks can mask all of this too and may bring a new annoyance in the long term...

12. allee

allee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Superpixel - I'm starting to lean toward the panasonic.... Where can i get the Viera for £1950? I'm after the pedestal stand too rather than the floor stand.

13. Bengbeng

Bengbeng
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Men, i'm confused. :suicide:

I was in for the Panny 42PA50 but saw the slightly more expensive 42PF9956 today, hanging next to the Panny. Haven't compared any DVD on them, only some normal (digital) broadcasts, but omg, the Philips TOTALLY blew the Panny out of the water. :eek:
    Far more detail/sharpness (thnx to pixelplus?), far more vivid/lifelike looking (white is WHITE, not the greyish white as seen on the Panny) and better/more natural colours (where the hell are those 8,6 billion on the Panny?).

About the contrast ratio; imo the 9956 looked identical as the cheaper 9946 (which is 3000:1), and much better as the 9966 hd panel (which is 1000:1), so i have a hard time believing the 9956 is only 1200:1.
    The Panny is rated 4000:1 but hey, where is it? Definately not more details in the blacks as the 9956.

About the brightness; is this the light output?
    The 9956, "only" 700cdm, gave definately more light output as the Panny, and about the same as the 9946, which is rated at 1000cdm. Again i have a hard time believing the specs, maybe different measuring methods?

Btw, i've "played" with the Panny image controls, it was optimal settled.

14. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Were they both connceted the same? If it were RF distribution, the Philips might well be the better. If it were compoent from decent ish DVD, I'd expect to find it different. Stuff like pixel plus is good with poor signals.

15. Bengbeng

Bengbeng
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Don't know, can't give any comment on that. :rolleyes:

But i have seen the Panny on three different locations (the 9956 only on one), and the IQ didn't various that much, so i assume it was proper done.

Till today the Panny won for me in the 'affordable' price class, but now i'm totally
    hooked on the Philips 9956. :D

16. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Allee bought a 9956 in the end, and was extremely pleased with it from what I heard.

In the UK though, the 9956 is over 1/3 HIGHER price than the Panasonic PE50, so its not an attractive value option.

Bengbeng, I would completely agree with you on the PE30 versus other screens (I too couldn't stand the poor brightness and colours), but the new PE/PA50 is SO much better that I don't think the difference exists to any big degree anymore. Having said that, I haven't seen the 9956 so maybe it is mind-blowingly good.

Interestingly though, the 9956 uses 'humble' 3rd generation Samsung glass. 5th generation glass is coming out aroundabout now (with 10000:1 contrast ratio and 1500 brightness!), so maybe you'd want to see that!

I think Samsung glass is excellent and underrated I agree with you....sometimes you need to hide the badge for an honest opinion though...check out Hornydragon in awe of the Fujitsu 63", yet rubbish Samsung glass everywhere else....

17. Bengbeng

Bengbeng
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Cheapest price in Holland is 2250 euros for the Panny, the Philips 2599,-.

I hope Allee comes here and give some comments on the 9956. :)