1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 42PF9955 vs Hitachi 42DP3000

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by sean57, Aug 14, 2003.

1. sean57

sean57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking to purchase a 42" plasma and want the best screen available for under ot around £3000.

The 2 screens that I currently like are the Philips 42PF9955 and the Hitachi 42DP3000

Unfortunately I have not seen these 2 screens next to each other, but was happy enough with both individually.

As I am new to this, any advise that could be given and recommendations would be gratefully received.
    Particulary interested in owners of the 2 screens and their experiences/regrets etc.

Thanks

Sean

2. chrise

chrise

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    I have owned the Hitachi for 3 months and am very happy with its performance and simplicity of operation. I have no regrets about the purchase. If money had been no object I would have probably bought the MXE Pioneer but that would have added over a £1k to the bill by the time i had bought all the bits.

The Phillips was not around when I bought but I would query whether you should look out for the 9965 which has pixel plus as I think that the 9955 is an old model.

You are right you will need to see them side by side which easier said than done. Best of luck

3. Dave777

Dave777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    AFAIK the 9955 is a screen only version of the 9965 ie no media box etc. This is a newish model. The models ending in 4 are the old ones.

HTH

Dave

4. trooper1212

trooper1212

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I agree completely. I'm happy with the Hitachi but would have gone for the Pioneer if it had been a comparable price and the blacks on it were just that bit better.

To me, the higher resolution of the Hitachi and Pioneer meant the difference between seeing screendoor and not compared to the Panasonic.

5. sean57

sean57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 9955 definitely has a tuner box attached. This is the model that Comet are currently doing an offer on.
    I can't find many articles or reviews on it hence the post here.

The 9965 is more expensive (approx £700 with e-retailers).

On the other hand there is stacks of reviews and good reports about the Hitachi.
    This is slightly more expensive than the Philips on e-retailers, but still within my budget.

Any more help would be appreciated.

By the way I will be mainly using it for DVD and SKY.

Thanks

Sean

6. RickB

RickB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sean,

I spent the last week or so shopping for my first plasma screen - it was the Philips that initially got me interested in buying one so it was the first one I tested.

Having spent a few hours in Comet looking at the Philips I have to say I was disappointed - The Philips seemed to suffer from a large number of artifacts and a not so shapr picture - to the point where having played with a variety of setup options - I left thinking that if that was as good as Plasma screens where going to get I would stick with a CRT - I was very disappointed.

Next door was Currys who had a variety of screens on display including Samsung, Panasonic, Daewoo (nasty) and Sony all at 42inch (Panasonic was a 5 series). I chose the Hitachi (price matched) because it looked better than the others when fed with the same source.

Unfortunately they didn't have a Panny 6 series but they did have the Pioneer 433 but the extra cost took it out of my price range and to be honest I actually preferred the Hitachi picture (sorry !!).

Only tried PAL DVD's running through SCART and component video though.

RickB

7. sean57

sean57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rick, Thanks for that. I was the same with the Philips in Comet. The price (including tuner and wall mount) was really attractive, but the more I have looked at it, I really think the Hitachi is the screen for me.

Sean

8. sean57

sean57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rick, Thanks for that. I was the same with the Philips in Comet. The price (including tuner and wall mount) was really attractive, but the more I have looked at it, I really think the Hitachi is the screen for me.

Sean

9. RickB

RickB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sean,

Unlike the Philips - the Hitachi doesn't come with a wallmount and Curry's now want £399 for the mount and fitting. I ended up buying the Hitachi wall mount from empiredirect for £86.39 including vat although its the none tiltable one - my Plasma is going to be mounted low enough for this to be fine !!

Since delivery is included - might be worth mounting it yourself and saving £300+

RickB

10. sonofmoth

sonofmoth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    the 9955 doesn't have Pixel Plus so go for the 9965