1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

philips 42pf9955 queries

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by baseborn, Jul 14, 2003.

1. baseborn

baseborn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Saw this in comet...and have found on various e-tailers a bit cheaper.....

What i want to know is...... what are the connections on this set?
    i.e., does it have component etc...

I have looked on the online brochure, and will list below the connections it states, but a lot of it is gobbledygook to me i'm afraid.

CONNECTIONS

E-BOX
    front
    * S-Video Y/C (mini DIN) in
    * Video CVBS (cinch) in
    * Audio-L/R (cinch) in
    * Headphones(3.5mm jack) out

Rear
    * Euro A/V Connector Ext1 (RGB in, CVBS in/out)
    *Euro A/V Connector Ext2 (RGB in, S-Video in/out, CVBS in/out, WYSIWYR, Easy and Cinemalink)
    * Euro A/V connector Ext 3 (in)
    * Euro A/V connector Ext 4 (in)
    *Audio/Video component Ext5 (cinch 1fh/2fh YUV and Audio L/R) in
    * Audio Monitor as Centre Speaker (cinch) in
    * Audi L/R out constant level (cinch)
    * VGA (15pin sub-D) + Audio L/R (cinch) in
    * Monitor VGA (1 5p. sub-D) + Audio L/R (cinch) out

MONITOR
    * VGA-in (15pin sub-D) + audio L/R (cinch) in
    * VGA-out (15pin sub-D) + audio L/R (cinch) out for Active Loop Through (max 2 sets)
    * RS232 (9pin sub-D): service application only

------------------

So, how would i connect my SKY box, DVD Player, PS2, Video, Amp etc to this best to get the top quality images.......and what does it all mean?!?

All help gratefully recieved

//base

2. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi,

I was looking at the very same screen in my local Comet today also...but I was not too impressed with it but they may have been how it was set up. It was running a Phillips DVD player with Star Wars Ep1 playing but the edges seemed very jaggie to me and had a lot of noise also.

Anyway as to what connections it has, it has

4 x SCART Sockets - two of which are RGB enabled (aka Euro A/V)
    1 x Component , YUV plus the L/R audio connectors
    1 x 15pin VGA plus L/R audio connectors
    1 x SVideo / Composite plus L/R audio on the front

Plus connectors for using the plasmas speakers as the centre speakers of a surround sound setup and L/R audio outputs which you could run to your amp.

All the above connections are on the E-Box.

You would connect all your stuff to the E-Box which in turn is connected to the screen itself via a VGA cable and L/R audio connectors.

As for connecting your stuff I would go with:

DVD -> Component Input
    SKy -> RGB Scart
    PS/2 - > RGB Scart
    Video -> Scart - though you won't use it much when you see how bad it looks

The audio from the DVD should go straight to your AMP via either Coax of optical cable. You can then connect the plasma's E-Box to your amp.

I hope that lot makes sense and helps in some small way.

Cheers, Lee

You could then run the

3. baseborn

baseborn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Man....that clears a lot up!!

I thought the pic was pretty good (although as you say, yours may have been set up poorly.....it was Comet after all)

The one i saw had shrek on it - the pic quality was good - miles better than the LG next to it, and the Daewoo and Thompson sets in Currys next door.....

the picture seemed very sharp, very clear, had little or no noise and the images seemed to be jumping out at you.

Very impressed to tell you the truth, but i have always been a fan of philips picture quality - i guess a lot of it comes down to individual preference......

The connections seem fairly comprehensive - are there any major problems here??
    Has anyone bought this screen??

//base

4. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    No problem mate :smashin:

One thing to bear in mind is that most plasma's will good when playing back Shrek/Monsters Inc/Toy Story...much better to view a proper film with some dark and some bright scenes.

Try Lord of the Rings if you have it...it has a good mix from the dark case scenes to the bright village scenes.

Like you say Comet are not the best and the LG, Daewoo and Thompson were all much worse.

BTW did you see the 30" LG LCD...very nice if a bit small.

Cheers, Lee

5. baseborn

baseborn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah - i'd thought about that.....i was pretty unprepared, i'd been to Focus Do-It-All for some paint and wood stain, so i was just passing really.......

I dont have LOTR, but i'm gonna go down there at the weekend with Saving Private Ryan, Apocalypse Now and Raging Bull to see how it handles them.......any other suggestions??

Didnt see the the LG - will have to look.......30 is a bit small for what i want - i've got my heart set on a 42 cos i'd just get a CRT for 30/32 inches.......and save some hard earned!!

Saw the 20" Sharp Aquos 4:3 LCD in Currys - My mum and dad are looking for (and i quote) 'a square TV. I was pretty impressed, might get one for my bathroom!!

Cheers again

//base