1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PHILIPS 42PF9946.....Settings...HELP

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Roop, Feb 24, 2005.

1. Roop

Roop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone help?
    I have recently purchased a Philips 42PF9946 plasma and am impressed by the way it looks and the design. However....I cannot seem to get the a sharp picture. I have played around with all the picture controls and have definately improved the sharpness but it is just not quite these.

i don't expect it to have the clarity a sharpness of an LCD but having viewed many a plasma I know for sure it can be better. Does anyone out there have the same model? If so could you possibly let me know the setting levels of the various adjustments on the picture menu PLEASE?? :(

2. ScottishThistle

ScottishThistle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    i have same tv mate.

Your best to use personal settings and turn your colour/contrast and brightness down quite a bit, my brightness is at 50, colour 56 and contrast 66, sharpness 0, colour temp cool.

Leave all the other settings at factory preset.

Also remember you have to set and store all your picture and sound changes in each different signal thingy, I.E - analog channels, then whatever you have hooked up to scart 1 and 2, you have to make your changes and store them when viewing whatever source, you need only do it once and thats them saved.

Also remember to have your main thing that you view mostly I.E - sky or whatever hooked up by scart into scart 1 on the tv as it carries the RGB signal, and make sure you change the output of your device to rgb output too if it has it.

3. Roop

Roop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Thomson....

Nice of you to help mate. Will try and make the adjustments this evening and let you know.
    How long hqave you had your plasma? How are you finding the Picture quality.....happy with it?

I have been reading some of the earlier threads on our model and someone has noted that by keying in the following code you can enter the services menu to make further adjustments. Have not tried this yet so would not know whether it is worth it but the code is: 062596 i+

Thanks again

4. ScottishThistle

ScottishThistle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    RooP,,,I find the picture quality of this tv to be just about the best in its class and price range, I looked at a lot of plasmas roundabout the same price in the shop and this philips whipped thier a$$ in picture quality, iam well pleased with it :)

Only problem ive found is lipsync is out lots of the time, you know when your watching the tv and you watch the persons mouth and the mouth doesnt match with the voice ?? Ive noticed that happens but ive heard that happens with just about all plasmas :( RooP, do you see the lipsync issue on yours ??
    :cool:

p.s
    dont touch the engineers menu until we find out more about what to change and what not to !

5. sharmas

sharmas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I just got this TV a week ago and notice that the contrast on it is really strange. It goes from light to dim as the scenes change from one person to another...not always, but at times....Has anyone else seen this problem? Can I adjust it by juggling the settings? Would appreciate any help, as after a while this problem gets annoying.

Thanks

6. ScottishThistle

ScottishThistle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Yes mate, go into tv menu, features, and turn off contrast+, that should sort it out, let me know if it works ok, it will :)

7. tjet2k

tjet2k
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Accessed the Service Manu on my Philip 42 PF9946 and have somehow locked out remote control access. Can anyone help / point me in right direction? Gonna be a real pain using it over Christmas without this?

Many thanks