1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 42PF9946 is appauling, Need some advice on a new Plasma.

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Xirix, Jun 14, 2005.

1. Xirix

Xirix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    A few weeks ago, I was overjoyed that I was going to get a Plasma Screen. But now it's made me horribly depressed, as everything I wanted to use it for looks ugly as sin and had Video Artifacts like Dot Crawl ( http://www.michaeldvd.com.au/Articles/VideoArtefacts/VideoArtefactsDotCrawl.html ).. that I can't get rid of.

Just from looking at a few posts here, I don't even see Philip's screens spoken of.. I wonder why :/

Anyway, I would like some recommendations on 42" Plasma Screens, Around the same price as the 42PF9946, I wouldn't mind a few hundred above.

I'm going to be using the Plasma Screen for watching DVD's, playing my games consoles ( Both my RF and Composite connecting ones ) and connecting my PC into.

I don't ever want to see that horrible Dot Crawl again, it made me repulsed by my Xbox games. My old RF connecting games like the Snes looked bad on it as well, it's so stupid that they looked good on my old Widescreen.. but are shoddy on a Plasma.

Well, that's all I have to say I guess.. please help me, I'm at my wits end.

And.. I know Composite connections are the bottom of the ladder, but the new consoles only come with the Composite + Scart connection, will that effect what it looks like regardless of the Plasma Screen? Because I wouldn't mind buying an adaptor / converter if it's needed.

2. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    before you buy a new screen try the microsoft hi def kit, even if you only use it for a standard def interlaced connection. it can be had for £22 at www.lik-sang.com and will be a million times better than composite. i dont know if it will solve your problems but composite on a screen that size is a no no even if you get a different plasma.

3. JohnCCFC

JohnCCFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Ditto

4. foz

foz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i used to have to use composite on my old hitachi plasma for x box as it only had 1 svideo and 1 componant input and it was disgusting.i used s video in the end and just swapped the sky and x box when i wanted to play it,was pretty good with s video.even old consoles like snes and megadrive had rgb scart connectors available so id try and tack one down if you wanna play your older consoles as rf and composite will look crapy on any plasma

5. Xirix

Xirix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thank you for your replies, But if you mean this http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=83&products_id=1742& It says that PAL Xbox's don't work on it.. and that won't help my PS2 Gamecube, DVD player etc problems will it?

I'd also like to note my TV has one RGB compatible scart socket, but no standard RGB input.

6. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    it doesnt make it high def without soft modding it, like i said, but it will be streets ahead of composite, as you will still be able to connect by component.

get the equivalent for gamecube and ps2 (or just get rgb scart kits - still v high quality but cheaper) and get a dvd player with component, eg pioneer dv575, or at least use rgb scart on wat you got. remember crap in crap out.

7. foz

foz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i think i misread your post and thought it was just the comosite that had issues-what price range is the phillips btw?

8. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    does TV not have component? (this is NOT RGB, red green and blue sockets normally, but will be labelled Y, Pb/Cb, Pr/Cr)

9. foz

foz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    having looked it seems your looking for a 42 plasma at around 1100-1300 quid.i think any plasma at that sort of price range will have a certain amount of issues.i just got the pv500 and there are slight issues even with that,plasma just got certain limitations and being so big shows up any problems more.

10. Xirix

Xirix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I can confirm it doesn't have a component in connection. I even tried an S-video cable for my DVD player.. it made zero difference.

I bought this one for £1400, yet I'm willing to spend around £2000, I just want my consoles and DVD ( and on occasion Sky ) to look nice on it :/ without Dot Crawl.

11. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    composite will look bad on ANY screen. get a 42" panny 7 (th42pwd7), and JS tech RGB scart to VGA converter, and a big scart controller, then get RGB scart kits for all your consoles (composite scart wont work) and connect them all up to the VGA input of panny, along with dvd and sky (both by RGB scart).

12. Xirix

Xirix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    How'd I know you'd suggest Panasonic? :), I'll have a look into it thank you, but could you provide links to those other items?.. Because I seriously don't know what they are, until a week ago I didn't know what Composite was.. and thought it was great, lol.

13. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    lol i think its horny dragon time, ill link you to his budget recomendation

14. Xirix

Xirix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It says that Panasonic model has an Amp but no Speakers? How's that work then?

And NTSC will work with it? A lot of websites fail to detail wether it's compatible or not.

Edit : Wow, another site says it has 6 speakers.., I look forward to this Budget Listing :)

15. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
  16. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    you need some external speakers, a surround system would be ideal, but any bookshelf speakers will work. just wander into richer sounds with £80 and you will get pretty nice sound.

17. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
  18. Xirix

Xirix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Lets see, Well, a lot of equipment. But at any one time I'll need about 4-6.

19. foz

foz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    if your willing to spend 2000 you can get a panasonic pv500 from total digital like i did.the european model so no freeview built in but 3 scarts,componant,hdmi ,hd ready and exelent picture,good luck.are they giving you a refund on the phillips btw

20. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    lol pv500 had to be mentioned at some point, it would be ideal for you xirix as it has all the connections built in, no converting to vga or input boards. or you you could get a standard def viera - cheaper and all connections built in.

21. Xirix

Xirix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Wow, that's a lot of accessories to buy, How would both the big Scart box and the VGA converter go together?

And I assume that any console connected by VGA will look drop-dead pretty?

Edit : All this info is quite overwhelming :), I need to go out for a bit now, but I'll check out the PV500 and post later. Thanks for all your help thus-far

22. foz

foz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    lol i only mentioned it because he said he was willing to pay 2000.Also it seems xirix is into his gaming so high def would be ideal for xbox 360 or ps3 which are both at least 720p on all games(although will work on any tv of coarse)

23. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    they go together with a scart lead, the play thing has 4 inputs one output, the converter changes it to VGA, but take note it only works with RGB. You may be better off getting the play scart thing, and a Panny TH-42PE50 (i think) Viera.

24. Xirix

Xirix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I just looked at the TH-42PE50, it doesn't seem to be PC compatible.

The PV500 looks nice, is it highly recommended? And does it have Speakers?

Either way, I'm looking up a whole load of RGB things for my consoles and such now... when I find everything I think I need, I'll post here for a final opinion.

25. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    when you say pc compatible do you mean connection wise of resolution wise? looking on the site you are right - no vga input, can anyone confirm this? seems strange.

the pv500 is highly recommended on this site, just look at the number of threads about it!!!

26. foz

foz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    yes the pv500 does have speakers-bloody good ones to-including 2 built in woofers,pc compatable up to 1024x768 @85 hz or 1280x1024 @60hz.also pv500 has front s video which can be handy for quick use of consoles

27. Xirix

Xirix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Okay, here's my line-up thus far.

PV500 : http://www.unbeatable.co.uk/CatalogueItem_27925.html
    This was the cheapest I could find WITH a Buy now pay later scheme, since I don't have all the money at the moment. Could someone check this to make sure it's the right model?.. People are talking about PV500B and PV500E and such.

Scart Box : http://www.play.com/play247.asp?pa=sr&page=title&r=ELEC&title=171031
    This way I can connect all my RGB scarts to the AV1 Scart ( which it says is RGB )

And of course, my RGB Console Connections. Too many to link, they're all at Lik-Sang. But I'm in need of just a few more things.

1) What's better for my Consoles, the RGB Scart connection, or the actual Component 5-connection lead? Like these two choices.

Scart : http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=83&products_id=1599&
    Componant : http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?category=83&products_id=1742&

2) Because of where my consoles are placed, the Componant connection won't reach the TV.. anyone know of a Componant extention cable 1-2metres long.. with Females on one end so I can just connect to that?

3) Also, anyone know a website to get cheap, but good RGB scart to scart cables? I'll need one to connect the big switchbox to the TV, and probably one for my DVD player.

If you guys could check what I've already found, and help out with the last bits.. I'll be so grateful, you've already been so wonderful :)

28. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    If i were you id use scart for all the consoles, then Component for the dvd (if your dvd player has this). Component is capable of higher quality, but only by a tiny bit. However it supports progressive scan. So if you buy a prog scan dvd player (if current one doesnt do it), eg Pio 575, it will free up a scart socket as well. Try www.tvcables.co.uk for cables. I have a few of the generic flat scarts and they are fine for the consoles, as the cables the consoles use themselves wont be of ultra high quality.

for some more info, the component pack for xbox will only really improve quality if you mod the xbox to become US NTSC, then you can use the high definition modes, but soon as you are currently using composite, a jump in pic quality like that could cause heart problems! always something for a later date.

PS glad to see you are getting somewhere :thumbsup:

29. foz

foz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    yes that is the uk model as it has freeview.go for it-i would

30. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned: