1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 42PF9830/10 How Good?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by chowyunfatt, Sep 10, 2005.

1. chowyunfatt

chowyunfatt
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,170
  2. zamwessell

zamwessell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Is this model out yet?

I had been leaning towards the Sony 40" V but this has now caught my eye.

Anyone seen this model in action yet?

3. Trumper1

Trumper1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I am having one delivered tomorrow. Will keep you posted........

4. zamwessell

zamwessell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Please do.

If it is as good as the 32" then it looks like it may be the model to get for it's size range.

5. MLC

MLC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I started a similar thread as I was about to buy this model.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=253748

Please note that this will only do 1080i (only being a relative term!) and not 1080p even though it states the panel is 1080p.

Trumper1 - will be very interested in your views once you have hooked it up.

6. contraste

contraste

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    I'm also interested in the 42" model but have yet to see it in any store. I did see the 37" model in Selfridges (London) over the weekend. I have to say the PQ was terrible but it was showing a Sky feed and the assistant was not particularly helpful in explaining or demonstrating.
    Trumper1 - looking forward to your initial thoughts. Where did you buy your TV from?

7. ariomanus

ariomanus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I also haven't seen the 42PF9830 in a shop, but I know that a few examples were sold already in Germany.
    720p is shown full screen (probably with a few percent overscan).
    1080i is shown with about 6% overscan (no 1:1 pixel mapping)
    1080p isn't accepted on any input.
    I would like to compare the panel of the 37" with that of the 42", because the 37PF9830 I've seen had a really great picture with good black levels (for an LCD).

Regards
    Ariomanus

8. Trumper1

Trumper1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Screen now set up for half an hour. Initial impressions are very very good. But it is really ENORMOUS. Do not buy this set for a small room. I think I should have bought the 37in. The ambilight is a great toy.

Sky+ RGB is good but low bandwidth channels look horrible. My Meridian G98 on 720p output is absolutely spectacular. Clearly need to tweak the screen settings as it is extremely sharp, almost uncomfortably so.

Will post some more views in a day or so along with some pictures.

Anyway, back to play with the set now. Will try to get the ethernet connection going.

Get you 9830 orders in, I think they will be difficult to get in the runup to Christmas.

Bought mine from Hi Fi Confidential nr Victoria Station £3299 from stock, delivered within 30 hours.

Small outfit but great bunch.

9. MLC

MLC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting that you mentioned the screen size and small rooms, whats you're viewing distance?

I'm an IT Consultant and am particularly interested in the Ethernet / wifi capabilities and uses.

I too heard that it can look slightly overprocessed and sharp in the 37" forum and that you have to tone it down as recommended in the manual apparantly.

Looking forward to the next installment. Am going to but either 37" or 42" on Saturday as both in stock 5 mins from my house.

10. RAD10

RAD10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a very similar experience from selfridges as well. The sales guy really discouraged me from buying the philips.The PQ was bad -maybe the feed was poor quality. Maybe it is something with selfridges and Philips.

Anyway i am very likely to buy it very soon. Just waiting for the first review. Another thread mentions that thishas got the WHAT HI FI AWARD FOR BEST FLATSCREEN. Once i read the review, i willbook it

I am not too concerned about 1080p. I think it is a some time away and anyway 1080i is a lot better than what i have now.

11. Trumper1

Trumper1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Now a few days in. Initial thoughts:

The set up procedure is good although it missed out ITV despite a strong signal. The automatic set up for the picture which keeps splitting the screen
    in two and asking which side is preferred saves a lot of messing about with settings and results in a very good picture up although a little bright for my tastes. The absence of a volume indicator is annoying and has been covered in another thread. The lack of 16:9 switching is just plain odd. The autoformat works reasonably well most of the time but does some very odd things with a 4:3 picture. I would much prefer a traditional set up where 4:3 is left as is and only 16:9 expanded out to fill the screen. In addition the autoformat has a nasty habit of changing mid program which is another niggle.

Pictures from DVD are breathtaking. The depth of field, sharpness and detail are very good. 720p is superb and 1080i even better. The latter will certainly be my preference on DVD's and hopefully is something like what HD will do.

Sky+ pictures on an RGB output are variable. The main movie channels are good and have no obvious problems. Low bitrate channels such as Discovery Home and Leisure are pretty grim. BBC1 and 2 are sometimes OK and sometimes not. Analog BBC1 is surprisingly ok.

Basically, this tv, because of its size is ruthlessly unforgiving of poor quality sources. The panel is fine but most sources are not up to enlargement to this scale. Grand Designs last night was a bit annoying as a result. Once we have HD all will be much better (hopefully?).

The ambilight is actually ok. I thought that it was just a gimmick but two days in I no longer like it when this if off as the picture is too stark a contrast to the wall behind it.

I watched some of the Chelsea match last night. Any sense of picture lag is just not there. the ball never blurred. Close ups of one player are really pretty good but where lots of players are on screen at one time at a distance you get some pixellation round a lot of fast movement. I still don't know whether this is MPEG2 motion problems or the panel itself, certainly a little distracting.

My viewing distance is approx 13/14ft and I really should have bought the 37in which I think would have been a better compromise and perhaps would be more forgiving of these picture issues.

I stuck a memory card in and viewed some photos. This feature works really well and gives very good reproduction. Photo's can be selected from thumbnails or it can be left on a slideshow.

Will report back on the ethernet in due course.

All in all very pleased with the set. My advice is to buy the 37in unless you have a really big room but it seems to me that despite a few minor niggles this 9830 series is well worth buying as confirmed by the product of the year from What Hi Fi for the 32in. I rather think that these are going to be popular up to Christmas.

12. Dazzle

Dazzle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Nice report thanks, although I will probably go for a 32 or 37 incher, considering that the 42" is almost as costly as a decent second hand car!!

13. MLC

MLC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great feedback - much appreciated.

Out of interested what is your DVD setup - you mentioned you were viewing 720p and 1080i on DVDs and they looked great. Are you over HDMI and wheres the upscaling taking place.

14. Trumper1

Trumper1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I am using 720p and 1080i upscaled in the DVD player then output through the HDMI connection.

One more minor observation, a really neat touch on the panel is the table top stand which you can feed a limited number of cables through and therefore cannot see them under the set. It looks really nice.

15. contraste

contraste

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    Just wanted to add my thanks to Trumper1 for your feedback. I was looking at buying the 42" model (although the price is breathtaking and seems to be creeping upwards) but perhaps the 37 incher is the better choice as my viewing distances are similar to yours. The problem with low bitrate feeds on Sky really bugs me; do the people running these channels not understand that the latest big screen TV's are making their programmes look dire? Perhaps they don't care too much but as they depend on viewing figures for their existance, maybe they should.

16. RAD10

RAD10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am undecided betweenthe 37pf9830 and the 42pf9830. My viewing distance is a maximum of 16/17 feet.
    1.Since both the televisions have the same no of pixels, does it make the 37 a better (sharper) TV than the 42?
    2. Also the 37 has faster response rate (6ms asopposed to 8ms for 42) and more contrast?
    does that make the 37" a better TV than the 42"??

Comments please
    Cheers

17. contraste

contraste

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    Another question; does the 37" model actually have an ethernet port? The Philips website has a pdf file on these TV's with descriptions and specifications. The files for both the 37" and the 42" models both show back panel connections that include an ethernet port but only the specifications for the 42" model actually refer to it. Perhaps there is someone out there with the 37" model who can shed some light on this.

18. chambeaj

chambeaj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    No, the 37" does NOT include an Ethernet port.

19. Alan D

Alan D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd go for the larger TV, for the cinematic effect. Last year I got a Philips 9986 and I'm so glad I went for the 37 rather than the 32, and my viewing distance is only 9 feet (and the panel is only 12ms 1366x768)

20. Andrew K

Andrew K

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +566
    Anyone know how this set compares to the Sharp LC-45GD1E ?

21. ariomanus

ariomanus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I've seen the 37PF9830 next to the Sharp LC-45GD1E. I have to say the picture of the Philips was much better (black was darker; fast moves seemed to be sharper on the Philips).
    I think the reason is that the Sharp is about one year old now, the Philips is brandnew and development of lcd-tvs makes progress quit fast.
    But I haven't seen the 42PF9830 in comparism to the Sharp. I know the panel from the 37PF9830 is from Sharp, the panel of the 42PF9830 isn't. I don't know whether the 42PF9830 is as good as the 37PF9830.

I hope this helps.

Regards
    Ariomanus

22. skyevin

skyevin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi im looking at buying the 42" my viewing distance is approx. 16ft, can anyone advise what size to take? I also wonder if anyone has hooked up their PC and what res. they got on the screen. To finish things up did anyone tried playing divx or xvid through the usb or mem. card connectors?

thx in advance for replying