1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 42" Pixel Plus Plasma

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by alec s, Jan 21, 2004.

1. alec s

alec s

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Philips Pixel Plus 42FD9954 Hong Kong (42PF9965 in UK)

I have recently bought this top of the range philips - not 100% happy with it:

- a band of light (green?) speckled dots across the tops of the screen when the picture is dark (eg a night scene or indoors) when the picture setting is at "natural" or "rich" etc, but this disappears when picture setting is at "eco" or brightness is reduced to 49 or below.

- dark scenes sometimes take on a green tint rather than natural light effect.

- shaded bands appear on peoples faces as they move in close up across the screen.

I complained to Philips and they replaced my set but the new set is identical. I think that these are limitations of Philips plasmas rather than defects within the set. Has anyone else noticed this or got any comments. Could it be my set up? I have an Onkyo DV-L5X DVD player and TX-L5 receiver, with component video cable from DVD player to Philips E-box.

HELP!!

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The philips sets are not generally well regarded by members. I daresay there are a few who are happy, but your experience is more typical. Philips do not make their own plasma glass, but buy it in, then build the electronics to run it. This is probably not the best route to excellence in any product, let alone one still at the cutting edge. The majority of forum members have bought Hitachi, Pioneer, panasonic and Fujitsu plasma, all of whom are glass manufacturers (fuji and hitachi share output) NEC do their own, and then there are the Koreans. Stick with one of the big Japanese ones for best results. If you are unhappy it is possible to reject a recently bought item.

3. alec s

alec s

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the heads up.

Has anyone else had similar problems with Philips plasmas? If so, did you rectify by twiddling with settings or did you get your money back?

4. marcello

marcello

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 9965 42"for six months now and am extremely pleased. why this forum doesnt like them is beyond me whent it had such good reviews. The reason for my chossing this set is that most of the time i will be watching sky+. when you see sky with pano's and the pioneers they look awful. i think the difficulty is that when they do the reviews they do not have the luxury of having these screens side by side. so obviously the newest screen is always going to be good especially with dvd. i am sure most of this forum watch sky more than dvd. i remember the pano 5's were the best on his forum. i bought one for my business and quite frankly its awful. it flickers like mad on a pal image. now you read this quite frequently on this forum, but not when i bought it. even the new pano's if they detect a pal image go into quazi mode and reduce resolution to reduce flicker, thats why sky looks awful on them.

the point i am trying to make is before buying one make sure you see it running sky. once you are happy with your choice then see it with dvd and you will be blown away.

good luck

5. wizard of oz

wizard of oz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    marcello you are right. I have seen these sets ( Philips 9965 and Panasonic 42pa20 ) side by side several times with dvd. 9965 is ultra sharp and has extra ordinary motion and detail enhancement. But has background noise. 42pa20 picture looks ordinary even with progressive scan dvd. But it has better contrast.

6. alec s

alec s

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    marcello

what settings are you using on the philips for the best picture with dvds?

i use:

brightness - 49 (low to eliminate backgound noise)
    contrast - approx 60
    colour - approx 60
    pixel plus - on
    sharpness - aound 2

is there any occasion where you think progressive scan or movie plus delivers a better picture than pixel plus?

7. Helterskelter

Helterskelter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Alec how are you getting on with your Philips?
    Have you found setting that cures your problem?
    I am in the middle of deciding whether to get the Philips 37"9965 or the Panasonic 37 pa20. I've viewed then both running in JL Bluewater and the Philips is the winner, much sharper detailed images. In Currys the Panasonic is better, as you say the Philips has a greenish hue, which I can't dial out, still sharper though.
    I really like the Philips, but there are so many negative comments on this forum, can everybody be wrong?
    So far my findings are:

Philips
    + Sharp, detailed picture
    stable images.
    3D looking images
    Best looking asthetically
    High res screen

- Contrast not best
    Picture noise when up close
    Can take on a green/yellow hue in some conditions

Panasonic
    + Gorgeous dep blacks
    Silky smooth images
    Very cinematic images
    Gets the public vote

- Low res screen
    Soft images
    Deep blacks can lose detail

8. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You need to see the screens properly demonstrated to get a proper feel for them, and JL and currys are not the place. Neither of them have the smallest clue about setting up a plasma, or any other TV. The philips might well look good there, but only cos it's able to cope a bit better with awful signal and no setup. Just the best of a totallyc***p lot.

9. chriswynn

chriswynn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    marcello i am glad you are happy with your pfillips you are one in a million i absolutly hate mine i have not seen one good write up untill yours.
    i am in the middle of exchanging it for a pa 20 this plasma seems to be rated by a lot of people so i hope it will be the end of my plasma nightmere.

10. alec s

alec s

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Helterskelter

The settings in my earlier posting eliminate most, if not all, background noise. blacks are black and colours are rich. i still get occasional banding on flesh tones as they move across the screen though. not sure how to deal with this?

chriswynn

what were the problems you had with your philips? which model did you have problems with and which one are you going for now?

does anyone know if there is such a thing as a "perfect" plasma, ie. one with absolutely no background noise or other problems?

11. george59

george59

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same problem with my 42PF9965! is it a common problem for plasma panels (dark areas --> goes to green) ?

George59

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    No, not common. Panasonic and it seems maybe Hitachi have the odd fairly unobtrusive green speckle in large black areas, but an overall green tinge is not usual, and I'd say pretty serious. I've seen an LG with this too. SW episode 1 was on, made disinguishing Mace Windu from Yoda harder than usual...

13. stacey1

stacey1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am having the exact same problem with my philips 42 plasma. White patches of pixels mainly in the left top corner when viewing dark scenes. It usually happens after the set has been on for about an hour. But if it's been on a few hours it sometimes darkens again(sort of goes back to normal), which is strange. I have found if I choose the "natural" picture setting and then lower the contrast to 35 or less and leave for a while it improves more each time you use the tv. The downside of this is that the picture looks a bit dainty and suffers more when the light shines on the screen due to lack of contrast.