1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 42 Pf 9955

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by gadgetman, Jul 20, 2003.

1. gadgetman

gadgetman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I see this plasma is on special offer at the moment in Comet for £2999. It includes tunerbox, speakers and wall bracket. I dont beleive it is the very latest model but if my memory serves me right had quite a good review. This has got me seriously tempted. Any ideas?

2. baseborn

baseborn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I saw this too - but i dont think it actually includes the wall mount (it didn't in my store anyway)

I thought it looked good the first time i saw it (when it was £3600 and did include the wall mount), it was showing shrek and was set up running component from a decent dvd player

I went down this weekend, and it had no dvd player hooked up in a different part of the store (and i actually think it was another set all together) I'd taken lord of the rings and asked them to put it on - which they did (although they couldn't get the sound working) the picture was alright (although not as good as the time before), but what shook me was when they unplugged the dvd player and reconnected it (to try to get the sound working) the DVD logo in blue strobed terribly......upon closer inspection the picture wasn't that great - a bit noisy and not that sharp.

I'm going to forgoe the convenience of a tuner box, and get the Pioneer PDP433MXE - its only another 500 quid (although there will be a couple of other added expenses) and for the picture quality it'll be more than worth the extra......... and, you get another inch!!

What i did like was the glass stand (atacama??) that comet had for sale (£349) - looked really nice, but i think i'll have the screen wallmounted and the equipment on some shelving i've bought that comes out from the wall with no visible means of support (the fittings actually go from the back straight into the wall, which i'll channel out for the wiring) painted the same finish as the walls so it looks like one continuous piece.

I might buy the stand for my other tv (a 4:3 sony i have in my bedroom with a PS2 and VCR running into it) but that'll have to wait :)

Hope this helps.......although it probably doesnt......

//base

3. mark.king

mark.king

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok so has anyone bought this unit (5599) I would like to buy a unit with scart sockets as well instead of having to get all sorts of cables made up. Any more idea's? My only other option is the hitachi 400e but even from the posts on this site I can not work out what extras I need. Everything I have has scart sockets so that would be three sources. DVD Vidio and freeview box. All require scart and two rgb. How would I connect these to the Hitachi? Also if this takes three decent converters at nearly £100 each and another £100 plus for a wall bracket then this adds £400 to the price so is in the same league as the philips with tuner box or the hitachi with tuner box. I really do not want to spend over £3000, I would much prefer to be closer to £2000