philips 37pfl7662d first review

pembssurfer

Well it wasnt what i was after and i probably should have waited but i sold my tv and wasnt prepared to sit for my 4 holiday days off in utter silence, so here it is my brief review of the philips 37" 1080p 37pfl7662d.

Got it home and unpacked it and everything is great seems reasonably well built and easy to use, and a very sturdy stand for it. First up 1080p content looks stunning on blu-ray with very dynamic colours, bright..plenty of contrast and not to soft...my only bug-bear is the fact despite it saying it will process 24fps via the ps3 (oh yes i checked with the comet sales jockey who couldnt even write the name "adam"), as i thought it indeed struggles with this and judders like a biatch to the point where certain scenes are unwatchable, fine without 24fps selected though in the ps3 settings. I always thought id struggle to get it to do 24fps without any problems at this price and indeed i was right. I may try a more expensive lead however i doubt this will solve the problem.

As for the rest of it, black levels seem pretty good and contrast ratio is good at 5000:1. Saturation is probably average (not as good as a sony w) and iv just watched some football with no apparent motion blur which is always good. Response time is an average of 8ms but capable of 6.

SD Freeview looks fine and a lot better than my old bush HD LCD via a set-top box ever did (which probably isnt hard).

Sound is probably about average compared to the others i heard today in this price range...no better no worse, stereo speakers with an option for fake surround sound.

Connections, this is where it starts falling short of the slightly pricier models....and could be a lot better...only 2 HDMI and no VGA, and the other usual av connections...but fine for my needs at the moment.

SO just to re-iterate....HD material from Blu-ray and xbox 360 looks pretty stunning for the price in some parts, although 24fps via the ps3 is a no go with frame stuttering all over the place, although at this price im not really supprised.

DVD's upscaled via my sony upscaling dvd player are also pretty admirable.

SD material from freeview pretty good although some blockyness more noticeable on the lesser bit-rate channels like setanta sports.

The dynamic mode used to alter backlight settings constantly is pretty noticeable in effect but for all the wrong reasons so iv turned it off for now.

In short my first impression of this tv is that its pretty capable in most areas but not a ground breaker by any strecth of the imagination. But then iv only had 4 or 5 hours with it.

pembssurfer

Right just an update after spending a whole day playing different material and getting my settings right.

First off. The ps3 blu-ray issue had to be resolved by switching 24fps via the ps3 dashboard. Images still run smooth with no obvious fram problems in fast moving blu-ray scenes. On the whole blu-ray looks stunning with 1080p as good as all of the other sets i have viewed in this price range of 700 squids.

Black levels are pretty impressive compared to my last set, iv seen better on higher end sets but they look pretty deep all the same.

Freeview SD images are really good in my opinion.

1080p content streamed to the xbox 360 and played via component are a joy to watch. Iv been testing the settings with the windows HD WMV demo showcase material.

Colours are where this set excels. Very vibrant, with little bleed iv found best viewed using multimedia setting with games console and then personal settings with SD content.

Ease of use....well the remote control is not the best by far..in fact id put it on a par with the Bush set it replaced, adequate but nothing intuitive and changing between HDMI 1/ 2 and component and other av requires multiple button presses.

Sound is a bit of a funny one. there are "smart" presets, the best preset seems to be the movie one for all around sound but sometimes on freeview the sound comes across as a bit low in tone and muffled when put over a 1/4 volume. Im not to bothered by this however as i listen to all of my freeview through my sony amp. The big downside is this set has no optical out.

Looks wise this set is pretty sexy and similar in style to the samsung current models with the glossy black frame that attracts finger marks.

Well first impressions last night were not that good, well not what i had hoped for....but the more iv used this set today the more iv been impressed by how well it performs given every content iv thrown at it....

The main cons are, juddering playback on 24fps (i.e. it process's it but does not display it very well, although certain movies seem ok)

Sound wise ..no optical out and when the volume levels are pushed up it starts to sound muffled and strained.

I would recommend this set to anyone looking for a 37" lcd with 1080p with good HD content playback. For £700 at this size and spec you cant go to far wrong.. If it dropped to 600 in the near future id grab it while you can.

brobro

Novice Member
Ok, this is interesting. I didn't expect this tv to perform this good.
What was your previous TV?
I might be wrong, but reading the Philips website it states that this TV has a 1080p display, but does not support 1080P input. The spec sheet says "full hd 1080 display" but 1080i input at the most :confused:
However reading your post you did succesfully connect hdmi devices with 1080p right?

pembssurfer

yea supports 1080p over HDMI and component...Id find it really odd if it didnt support a 1080p if it was a 1080 screen anyway as it is impossible for it to display 1080i as it cannot display an interlaced picture...Well iv got my PS3 set up outputting 1080p.....the xbox 360 outputting 1080p and the tv is indeed processing and displaying a 1080p image on screen. Like i said the only downside is it seem incapable of displaying 1080p at the elusive 24fps.

pembssurfer

sorry also my previous set was a cheap bush HD ready LCD 32"....it performed well apart from contrast ratio in dark scenes which is why i got rid of it ...but compared to the later sets its awfull. Im basically comparing this philips set to the other 1080p offerings from samsung and toshiba in the same price brand that iv seen running.

Just pulled this off philips website. Its the spec sheet for this model.

640 , 640 x 480p - 2Fh , 720 x 576i - 1Fh , 720 x 576p - 2Fh , 1280 x 720p - 3Fh , 1920 x 1080i - 2Fh , 1920 x 1080p -

Just to confirm it does support 1080p as a resolution...1080i is merley upscaled to 1080p. Although i have just found another bonus of this set,...when the tv is set to 1080i and so is either PS3 or xbox360...... 1:1 pixel mapping becomes and option in the menu.. This gives the added importance of seeing games exactly how they were meant to be and you can see a noticeable difference especially in driving games.

I must admit to giving this tv a luke warm reception the other night...but the more imm using it the more impressed i am by it.

higgsfield

Standard Member
I got this set recently too. A reasonable price on Amazon, it has all the features I need and omits nothing (except perhaps that 24fps, once I get a BluRay player). The HD content (from my V+ box looks great) as does standard def stuff, fortunately.

I do have one problem. I ran through a proper setup of the set and found it impossible to balance the colours perfectly - there's no menu apparent to control the RGB colour balance. Does anyone know how this can be done?

vipergrm

yea supports 1080p over HDMI and component...Id find it really odd if it didnt support a 1080p if it was a 1080 screen anyway as it is impossible for it to display 1080i as it cannot display an interlaced picture...Well iv got my PS3 set up outputting 1080p.....the xbox 360 outputting 1080p and the tv is indeed processing and displaying a 1080p image on screen. Like i said the only downside is it seem incapable of displaying 1080p at the elusive 24fps.

What do you mean it cannot display 1080i? First time I have ever heard that. How much did you get it for out of interest?

Petuhr

Standard Member
The dynamic mode used to alter backlight settings constantly is pretty noticeable in effect but for all the wrong reasons so iv turned it off for now.

I am really curious how you turned off dynamic mode (or dynamic dimming). In several forums people have the same question. There's no option for it in the main menu of this TV.

So how did you manage this? :lease:

Petuhr

Standard Member
there is a buttom at the bottom left of the remote control that switches on and off the active contrast thingy

Yeah I know, that's Active Control, but that has nothing to do with dynamic dimming. I allready turned that off and Contrast+ in the menu also. The annoying dimming is still there. It has to be in the service menu, but changing things here is really tricky and can mess up the tv really bad.
So I e-mailed Philips (9 days ago) how to turn it off in the service menu. Still got no reaction....

higgsfield

Standard Member
It has to be in the service menu, but changing things here is really tricky and can mess up the tv really bad.
So I e-mailed Philips (9 days ago) how to turn it off in the service menu. Still got no reaction....

Do you know how to access the service menu? :lease:

I tried to set up the display properly, but found that the colours are unbalanced and there's no option to adjust them individually on the standard menus.

Petuhr

Standard Member
Do you know how to access the service menu? :lease:

I tried to set up the display properly, but found that the colours are unbalanced and there's no option to adjust them individually on the standard menus.

The code is: 062596i
i=info

If that doesn't work, type:

0[x]062596i (where [x] stands for a number other than 062596)

But be carefull...adjusting settings can mess up your tv bad! Do it at your own risk...garantee voids...

Good luck! :thumbsup:

Petuhr

Standard Member
yw..

I just got on the phone with Philips Customer Service and asked them whether Dynamic Contrast Enhancement can be turned off. The answer was: no it can't. Not even in the service menu.

Reason: it is a main stream model.

I think this is untrue as it was turned on softwarematically
The Philips employee could not help or send a technician.

I will go to the dealer and ask them what the possibilities are...exchange for another one is an option

/edit: It is true when it is turned on hardwarematically (unfortunately)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom