1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

philips 37pf9986

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by killer10971, Apr 10, 2005.

1. killer10971

killer10971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    i have had my lcd for a while now (still waiting for a replacement for the pip problem) and have a couple of questions

should active display be turned on and if so to what level , i thought that if you set your lcd to the preferred settings then active display (if on ) would override them.

also i get halo effects and motion blur through sky+ quite bad against certain backgrounds (brick walls seem the favourite) mon to fri but weekend viewing seems improved ,liked they have turned up the quality on the broadcast).

and why do you not get halo or motion blur through dvd (dvi input) or is this just showing skys signal quality (i have digital processing turned down for sky)

many thanks all

2. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Motion blur is just really the TV showing up poorish quality signals. Turn the Active control to minimum or off completely - this'll help speed up the screens responses.

DVD playback is vastly superior to SD TV and it shows in many ways...haloing (motion blur), or the lack of it, is one.

Jimmy

3. killer10971

killer10971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    so the pixel response is adequate its just the poor signal

many thanks

4. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Even faster Pixel response will help this too, but keeping picture processing to a minimum is paramount to a smooth running picture.

Jimmy

5. Llanowar

Llanowar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Saw the plasma version with pixel plus 2, but it caused horrible hallowing around people, especially when moving, on dvd's, do you normally turn pixel plus 2 off with dvd's and on with sd?

6. steeled

steeled

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    I have had my 37PF9986 for a couple of weeks now and was initially disapointed with the effects of motion blur. As a result I connected my old (7 year) Panasonic CRT TV back up again. And low and behold if you look at it closely you can also see motion blur!

This was especially true on the I-Robot DVD that people have mentioned in other threads. Also it was noticable on Freeview programmes and other DVDs.

I was also in the pub where they were showing a football match on Sky TV through a CRT projector. Again it suffered from motion blur when the camera panned to follow the action. I think that it is not the reaction time of the LCD that caues most of the problems it is the MPEG compression used on DVDs, Freeview and Sky TV.

However I do think the LCD tends to "highlight" the problem when it is on the original feed. This seems more so when the object that is moving is out of focus.

Just my thoughts.

Regards

7. killer10971

killer10971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    what about digital contrast , i use the recommended settings for this , but again is this another digital enhancement.

on the whole when i watch a dvd i find this screen near faultless and also on certain sky channels

but on some channels its just plain nasty

8. Rob1698

Rob1698

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MPEG compression has two problems:
    1. when there are lots of changes in the picture it needs more bandwidth. when fixed bandwidth is available it needs to lower the resolution, causing "pixelblock" effects especially in detailed areas.
    2. when sharp edges are present in an otherwise steady picture, it tends to show "ringing" around these edges, showing up as a "crystalline" effect. this is especially visible around logos and titles.

An LCD screen is not highlighting these effects, but most LCD TVs have a panel that has higher resolution than a SD TV transmission. Therefore the digital processing in the TV is upscaling the picture to a higher resolution than it originally had. To achieve this, the software adds some overshoot at edges in the picture, so that the result appears sharper than it would when the picture is just stretched. This is the difference between the "digital options" settings "progressive" and "pixel plus".

Because the limitations of the MPEG compression show up as errors in exactly these areas, they are amplified by the picture upscaling. However, they would do so just as much on an extended-resolution CRT TV (the highend CRTs with Pixel-Plus or other comparable TVs with >800 lines).