1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 37PF9986 - Two More Questions

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by wuf810, Feb 15, 2005.

1. wuf810

wuf810

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all again.

Sorry to take up so much time but I have two more questions:

1) is there anyway I get can my 37PF9986 remote control to work with my Sky Plus and my current DVD Player (Sony DVP-S725D)?

2) While watching DVD I still have the black borders top and bottom. I assume this is because my DVD player is quite old and doesn't handle the hig resolutions needed. Therefore what type of DVD Player should I be looking to get the most out of this TV. Any recommendations?

Thanks again! Michael.

2. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    If you are watching a 2.35:1 movie, then it will still be in letterbox format, since 2.35:1 is wider (ie less tall) than a 16:9 movie.

Some screens allow you to zoom in slighty cropping the sides and making the picture taller. Not sure what modes the Philips allows this in.

Also, make sure your DVD player is outputting 16:9 not 4:3.

-Ian

3. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    You cannot program this remote to work on anything other than other Philips equipment.

As Ian says, just expand the screen to suit what you are watching. Be careful not to distort the picture to fit. Keep it in the correct proportions.

At present There are three types of DVD player (sort of).
    1) Yer basic £29.95 supermarket guff that'll just about play a DVD without tripping over it's nasty plastic entrails.
    2) Decent, cheap Progressive Scan DVD players which will output nice Progressive pictures to your 9986 through the component adapter. ie Toshiba 240E - Tesco £50!
    3) Further upmarket Digital output DVD players like the Denon 1910 which will send pure digital pictures via DVI. This is the ultimate PQ, but currently I feel is not significantly better than a good Progressive player.

Jimmy

4. wuf810

wuf810

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Brilliant thanks guys. Just watched Aliens and the screen was filled which confused me no end. However the box indicates 16:9 as well 2:35:1 so I guess that's what did it. Beginning to learn and understand!

Shame about the remote. Looks like I will have to buy a Universal remote as I can't cope with going back to 3 differents remotes.

Thanks again. Michael.

5. chunkymunky

chunkymunky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Worth taking a look at the Samsung HD-745 DVD player with DVI out at £110 from Digi-Direct. I believe it also handles DivX playback which Samsung don't advertise. It has a big brother - the 945 which has HDMI and decalred DivX compatability. For the £65 or so premium it's not worth it seeing as the 9986 has DVI and not HDMI.

6. jdl

jdl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    If you reffering to the second Alien directed by Cameron its the only DVD of the four Aliens with format 1:85:1, thats why its filling the whole screen.

7. Alan D

Alan D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, for some strange reason the second film was made in a different aspect ratio to the other three. Happened much more recently with Spider-Man. The first was 1.85:1, the second was 2.35:1