1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips 37PF9986.. Screen Resolution Issue

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by kunjay, May 15, 2005.

1. kunjay

kunjay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all.

I own a 37 inch PF 9986 LVD from Philips.. beautiful TV, very happy with it.

However..

The maximum resolution the screen can display is 1366 by 768. This I understand is widescreen. I own a DMS 3400 media centre PC which is connected by DVI. This is currently outputting at 1280 by 720p. This leaves a black border around the edge of the whole screen, one inch wide.

If I download Powerstrip, I can change the resolution to 1366 by 768.. unfortunately I don't know which refresh rate will be appropriate. If I let it decide itself, it creates an image bigger than the screen. This also happens with the 1280 by 768 resolution which is slightly too big for the screen and too flickery.

Do I have to accept that this black border will always be there? If so why do Philips advertise the higher resolution? Why wont the TV accept that resolution from a PC?

Has anyone a similar PC to 9986 setup to me that is filling the while screen?

Thanks for the help

KJ

2. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    The native panel resolution is not a valid input resolution. 1080i (1920x1080i) would give you full screen but I don't know if your PC will provide that. This would be downscaled in the 9986 to the full screen. Quite a few displays are like this although most would allow 720p (1280x720p) to be upscaled to full screen. You also need to be careful of the refresh rate.

-Ian

3. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The 9986 wil not allow pixel 1:1 at full screen resolution. There are tons of posts over numerous threads about this and nobody has succeeded. Sure 1080 is downscaleable, but the picture is not very good. Best resolution available is 1280 x 768 at 60Hz.

Philips were caught out a little here by the number of people who actually wanted to use the TV as a monitor. This is an increasing demand, and the new 9830's will have this covered....

Jimmy

Jimmy

4. kunjay

kunjay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the stupendously quick replies..

..can you tell me how to get how to get 1280 by 768 up and running. I can't seem to get it to work..

..to clarify 1280 by 768 is slightly too big for the tv screen size so the start bar is partially hidden.. also it flickers noticeably

How are all the other 9986 people getting 768 to work as opposed to 720?

KJ

5. Rob1698

Rob1698

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Use the ring around OK on the remote to position the image (up/down).
    Make sure the vertical refresh rate is 60Hz in this mode. In 720p mode 50Hz is OK.

6. kunjay

kunjay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've tried it at 60Hz 1280 by 768. The remote advice you gave didn't work unfortunately, (nothing happened) and it didn't address the screen flicker which was very noticeable.

Any further ideas?

KJ

(On a postive note I've figured out how to increase text size to make it more readable from the sofa!!!)